CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 05-22-2008, 03:23 AM   #21
Christin Street

Profile:
Re: Paying my respect to "Murph"

Lived in Kaiserslarten, Heidelberg, Stuttgart and Pirmesans(sp?)/Munchweiler. All over the place.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:27 PM   #22
Matt Bahen

Profile:
Re: Paying my respect to "Murph"

Kaiserslarten & Heidelberg I saw & they were both very nice. I'm sure growing up there was an awesome experience.

Today I didn't do anything but play with my new elite rings. Man, I suck at all things rings! At least now I have my own set on which to practice!
Old 06-02-2008, 09:05 AM   #23
Matt Bahen

Profile:
Dang! It's been awhile

So, I took off last week from the CF only WODs in preps for a Sprint Tri this past Sunday (6/1/08). I know I should have pressed on since I wasn't "racing" the tri per se, but I was woefully unprepared for the race.

So I thought...

Turns out that while I still didn't set any records and didn't win or place in my AG (haven't yet) I was very prepared to finish the race strong. I'll thank the CF community and training for that. The distances were 1km Swim/20km Bike/5km Run. It was a great day for the race, if maybe a little warm (89F when I hit the run). While I could stand to spend more time on the bike I did well in the swim and the run wasn't bad especially with all the leg strengh I've gotten through CF'ing. The best thing I did was when I finished I got back in the water (72F) up to my waist and "cooled" off my legs. Today I'm not suffering as much from DOMS as I usually am. Maybe that has to do with the CF strength as well.

Anyway, I'm happy with the results and I'm going to get in some sort of WOD today followed by some short runs to keep the legs loose.
Old 06-03-2008, 03:51 AM   #24
Christin Street

Profile:
Re: Dang! It's been awhile

Uh, you didn't post your time on the sprint tri!?! Lots of details but no time...out with it.
Old 06-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #25
Matt Bahen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christin Street View Post
Uh, you didn't post your time on the sprint tri!?! Lots of details but no time...out with it.
I guess the only thing I can respond to this is...YES MA'AM!!

Yeah, I realize now that I left that out. Sometimes the mind runs faster than the typing fingers. Here's the damage:

Swim 1km - 21::11 (in water start with short ramp run at the end)
T1 - 1::57 (I've GOT to get better here! wetsuit swim though)
Bike 20km - 40::25 (18.4mph avg & 23.7mph max, kind of windy)
T2 - 0::43 (not bad, but room to improve)
Run 5km - 25::03 (8::05 pace, heat & no shade took a little toll)
Overall - 1:29::21 which was good for 19th of 41 in my AG (M30-34)

Right on par for me. I'm a mid-packer AG guy but I'm seeing improvements. Little steps, little steps.

As a "rest" from Sunday's race, I did the following yesterday (Mon 6/2):
Official CFWU - 14::01
Then 5 rounds for time of:
a. Row 500m
b. 15 KTEs
c. 15 Back Extensions
Time - 22::33

Felt great to get the muscles moving after the race. Nothing worse then doing nothing following a hard workout or race. I'm really not too sore today except maybe the core muscles. But I like it when they hurt.

Am I now forgiven Christin?? Or do I owe you some Burpees as payment??
Old 06-03-2008, 07:45 AM   #26
Jenna Dodge

Profile:

Nice job in your race Matt! You gotta get that T1 to under 1 minute though! Just kidding, that's hard to do with a wetsuit swim. It can be done though. I'm terrible at T1. T2 is a lot easier, but I hate being wet so during T1 I always try to dry off too much.
Old 06-03-2008, 10:13 AM   #27
Jennifer Ellington

Profile:
Re: Matt's CF Experiment

Nice job on the triathlon, Matt! Have you incorporated CF directly into your swim training yet?
Old 06-03-2008, 10:30 AM   #28
Christin Street

Profile:

http://images.cafepress.com/product/...r-RedWhite.jpg
This is my kinda T-shirt. I'll need to order one through BrandX. Ha! Too bad they don't make one that says "I Heart Burpees." Don't think they'd be a top seller. No offense.
As for your Tri results...great job!! How long have you been doing them? I've never done one mostly because I've never been a great swimmer. Just never got the breathing down and end up gasping for air most of the time. I had planned on entering a sprint this summer but stumbled across Crossfit three months ago and well, now this is my sport! Still want to do a Tri someday.
Old 06-03-2008, 11:20 AM   #29
Matt Bahen

Profile:

Jennifer - Thanks! Funny you should ask about the Swimming/CF workouts. I just finished reading a bunch of threads here about that & I'm inspired to start doing more of this. I have done LOTS of PT/Swim combos in the past (read pull-ups, push-ups, sit-ups, 8-counts, etc. combined with 50/100s) but I've never done some of the "fun" things I've found in the threads. I'm looking forward to it! I've incorporated CF into my overall Tri training as a replacement for the "standard" strength training that most Tri-specific plans call for twice a week. Now that I'm "in season" I'm working on improving my Tri skills (or lack thereof! j/k) and using CF 2-3 times a week to stay/get strong.

Christin - I like the shirt! Maybe we can make up some with your idea slogan, with you getting top billing of course! Thanks to you as well for the compliments! I've been doing Tris since 1999. I've done all the distances at least once with most being Sprints & Intn'l/Oly distance. I've done 1 Half-IM and 1 IM (IMFL in 2004). I love them! It's always inspirational to see all the other people doing this for fun and enjoying beating ourselves up. It was only natural that I'd find CF then. Like I wrote above to Jennifer, I've added in CF for almost a year now to get stronger and I love the results. Don't give up on the dream of doing a tri! Ask a strong swimmer to coach you or check out a Masters Swim program in your area (http://www.usms.org/ wfs). Judging by your workout log you can EASILY do a tri!

Now, time to look for some burpee loving t-shirts!
Old 06-03-2008, 11:35 AM   #30
Matt Bahen

Profile:
Getting Dumberer by the minute...

So, I just posted in my own log and left out my WOD! Nice job!

Today was a swim workout. Next time I'm going to do some CF stuff with it as long as the Y let's me. I think I might freak out the Y lifeguards but that should be fun to watch as they try to figure out what I'm doing next time! Here is today's fun:

W/U - 300 SW w/ some drills
Exercise - 8 x 150 on 2::30
C/D - 200 SW

It wasn't much but I felt "pumped" after I finished. I'm thinking it's a sign to rest up some. I'll see how tomorrow feels for me.