CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 04-13-2015, 09:03 AM   #11
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Tips Needed for Weight Loss for Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Beasley View Post
The weigh-in is the afternoon before the competition so on May 29th.

I am just getting frustrated since it takes a week to lose a pound & then sometimes I gain it back a few days later.

Thanks for all the help!
I am hardly an expert in this because I have never had to cut for a weigh in but you should be able to easily drop a few pounds of water weight before weigh ins and it wouldn't hurt your performance since you don't have to compete right after. Maybe Chris will have better info, I would do a little reading on cutting water weight and not worry about drastically altering your diet.
Old 04-14-2015, 05:48 PM   #12
David Meverden

Profile:

Eva, great to hear you're getting into Strongwoman! I just completed my 3rd competition and it's quite fun.

You should check out StartingStrongman.com. Lots of great info, including an article on cutting weight for a competition. http://startingstrongman.com/2014/06...to-cut-weight/
(note: CUTTING weight, not losing weight. It's about losing water weight) and one about how the founder lost weight to drop a weight class (hint: it did NOT include eating 40 slices of bread a day, as Darryl recommends).

Don't mind Darryl's super carb diet recommendations: he recommends that for everyone regardless of sport participation, bodyweight goals, gender, age, the advice of coaches and athletes that have actually done what people are asking about, etc. You don't need 5-8 g/kg/day of carbohydrates and if you actually tried to do so it would be nearly impossible to get enough protein and fat seeing as how a 160 lb woman would be eating 1450-2300 kcal of JUST CARBS.

If you are DETERMINED to do the lower weight class then I think a small caloric deficit to lose 3-6 lbs in the next weeks and then cutting 5 lbs or so of water the week before would be the way to go (partly depends on how heavy and lean you are. Bigger and less lean makes dropping water weight easier). Honestly, though, my REAL advice is for you to not worry about it for your first comp: spend the next weeks eating, training, and being merry, and just go at whatever weight you are. There will be enough new stuff for you to deal with at your first comp without you adding dehydration to it.
Old 04-14-2015, 06:07 PM   #13
Eva Beasley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Meverden View Post
Eva, great to hear you're getting into Strongwoman! I just completed my 3rd competition and it's quite fun.

You should check out StartingStrongman.com. Lots of great info, including an article on cutting weight for a competition. http://startingstrongman.com/2014/06...to-cut-weight/
(note: CUTTING weight, not losing weight. It's about losing water weight) and one about how the founder lost weight to drop a weight class (hint: it did NOT include eating 40 slices of bread a day, as Darryl recommends).

Don't mind Darryl's super carb diet recommendations: he recommends that for everyone regardless of sport participation, bodyweight goals, gender, age, the advice of coaches and athletes that have actually done what people are asking about, etc. You don't need 5-8 g/kg/day of carbohydrates and if you actually tried to do so it would be nearly impossible to get enough protein and fat seeing as how a 160 lb woman would be eating 1450-2300 kcal of JUST CARBS.

If you are DETERMINED to do the lower weight class then I think a small caloric deficit to lose 3-6 lbs in the next weeks and then cutting 5 lbs or so of water the week before would be the way to go (partly depends on how heavy and lean you are. Bigger and less lean makes dropping water weight easier). Honestly, though, my REAL advice is for you to not worry about it for your first comp: spend the next weeks eating, training, and being merry, and just go at whatever weight you are. There will be enough new stuff for you to deal with at your first comp without you adding dehydration to it.
Thank you so much for your wonderful response! This is such great advice for a newbie like myself.

To give you a better idea my weight fluctuates between 168 to 170 lbs. I need to weigh 159.4 to be in the lower weight class. I think I may be starving myself a bit since I'm only getting 12-1300 cals in per day. I try to stick to gluten-free products & eat lots of veggies & meats when I can afford to do so.

I'm not in great shape but I'm working on it. I feel like I need to lose weight not only for this competition but for self esteem & confidence as well.

As for the comp I'm not worried about deadlifts, or the truck pull but the atlas stones, log press, & farmers carry are going to be very difficult. If I can do well in one event I'll be happy.

Thanks again for your response!

Eva
Old 04-16-2015, 10:44 AM   #14
Chris Caruso

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eva Beasley View Post
To give you a better idea my weight fluctuates between 168 to 170 lbs. I need to weigh 159.4 to be in the lower weight class. I think I may be starving myself a bit since I'm only getting 12-1300 cals in per day. I try to stick to gluten-free products & eat lots of veggies & meats when I can afford to do so.

I'm not in great shape but I'm working on it. I feel like I need to lose weight not only for this competition but for self esteem & confidence as well.
Eva
It sounds like you're trying to achieve two separate weight loss goals: the gradual and sustainable weight loss and the temporary pre-competition weight cut. Can't advise you on the sustainable weight loss, but I used to cut around the same amount of weight over a two-week period by reducing carbs and then doing a water cut on the last week: (W/FS link)

How to Cut and Make Weight

As long as the weigh-ins are the day before, you should be able to rehydrate+refeed and feel good on the day of competition.

Quote:
My macros tend to be good some days but a little out of whack other days.
If you're serious about both the competition and sustainable weight loss you need to starve yourself less on the 'in whack' days and reduce the number of 'out of whack' days.
Old 04-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #15
Chris Mason

Profile:

I would say hold off on the competition until you lose the weight, or until you can handle the loads for your weight class. I don't see the point of competition just for the heck of it? You can always have a friendly competition at your box if you just want to compete against someone.
Old 04-18-2015, 05:41 PM   #16
David Meverden

Profile:

Of course she should do it just for the heck of it! We're not like some of the guys and gals you roll with, Chris, who are shooting for world records; we do all our stuff just for the heck of it.

Jumping right in gives you something specific to train for, helps you meet people, helps you find out if you want to get more serious about the sport, and strongman competitions are just darn fun!

Fair point that she shouldn't go in physically unprepared, but she's in a novice division, so the weight will probably be manageable.
Old 04-18-2015, 07:10 PM   #17
Eva Beasley

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
I would say hold off on the competition until you lose the weight, or until you can handle the loads for your weight class. I don't see the point of competition just for the heck of it? You can always have a friendly competition at your box if you just want to compete against someone.
No refunds allowed. :-) I actually usually surprise myself. I did a power lifting competition last year & did really well. I actually was annoyed I didn't choose heavier weights!

It's a novice weight class. I'm not there for 1st. I'll be happy if I place well in one category.