CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 03-12-2015, 12:57 PM   #11
Todd R Miller

Profile:
Re: Bad effects from GOMAD?

Are you still racing cyclocross? That sport, and training for it, has a huge metabolic impact!
Old 03-12-2015, 08:23 PM   #12
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
I was intrigued to find out what that really means as I've heard it many times.

Do you know what exactly that means? The only thing I can think of is that non-training individuals slowely start to loose their muscle mass and with less muscle mass there is also less energy needed for basal metabolism, other than that I have no clue what could it be related to. Its not like our cells start to "work" slowely, therefore needing less energy and same amount of food we consume goes straight to fat.
In terms of the exact mechanisms and cause, I do not know and I don't know if anyone does. It does 100% occur and that includes trained and untrained individuals. Hormones play a role as do other results of aging.
Old 03-12-2015, 08:24 PM   #13
Chris Mason

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Puckett View Post
Thanks Chris, my girlfriend mentioned this to me today and I sort of had an oh **** moment. I turn 40 in August and aside from old injuries that I have learned how to maintain, this is the first time I have really noticed how slow its gotten. I have been working 60+ hr weeks for the last 9 months, and its paid off financially, but physically I am wrecked. Finding that balance for me is the toughest part.
Yep, and an interesting empirical observation is that like many physical properties it seems to happen in spurts. In other words you stay the same for a long time and then virtually overnight it seems to change.
Old 03-13-2015, 02:06 AM   #14
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

60hr+ weeks for 9 months can really muss up your hormone levels. High stress, poor sleep and diet, lack of exercise, blah blah blah.

That probably has more to do with gaining weight than age. Yes, hormone awesomeness tends to go to pot as you get older but at a relatively slow pace.
Old 03-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #15
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Puckett View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Mason View Post
My guess is you got older and your metabolism is naturally slowing.
Thanks Chris, my girlfriend mentioned this to me today and I sort of had an oh **** moment. I turn 40 in August and aside from old injuries that I have learned how to maintain, this is the first time I have really noticed how slow its gotten. I have been working 60+ hr weeks for the last 9 months, and its paid off financially, but physically I am wrecked. Finding that balance for me is the toughest part.
Dietary fat will always be stored as body fat if energy intake exceeds expenditure. So adding 2381 kcal to your daily diet, with 1148.94 of those calories coming from fat, without an equivalent increase in energy expenditure will make you fat. Age doesn't really come into it, at least not until you're into your 50s or 60s when sarcopenia starts becoming an issue.

USDA National Nutrient Database for Standard Reference: Basic Report: 01211, Milk, whole, 3.25% milkfat, without added vitamin A and vitamin D. (wfs)
Old 03-16-2015, 05:44 AM   #16
Phil Washlow

Profile:

Have you been consistent on Zone proportions for a long time? After just 2 days of 6 or less hours of sleep you can become prediabetic, in this prediabetic state your cells will be more insulin resistant requiring your body to excrete extra insulin, which in turn will promote fat storage. If you prefer to eat zone proportions then I would really focus on getting back to 8+ hours of sleep per day. If you can't adjust your sleep I would suggest adjusting your diet to high fat, moderate protein and low carb to help stave off your body's insulin response and mitigate the effects of your lack of sleep.

In answer to your first question, I did GOMAD for the month of January, daily calories exceeded 5,000, I gained 8lbs and according to one of those bs scales with body fat % it was about half muscle and half fat. In the month after I lost 6lbs and am at a lower bf% than before starting GOMAD so for me I would say it did not negatively impact my metabolism.
Old 03-17-2015, 01:33 PM   #17
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Washlow View Post
Have you been consistent on Zone proportions for a long time? After just 2 days of 6 or less hours of sleep you can become prediabetic, in this prediabetic state your cells will be more insulin resistant requiring your body to excrete extra insulin, which in turn will promote fat storage. If you prefer to eat zone proportions then I would really focus on getting back to 8+ hours of sleep per day. If you can't adjust your sleep I would suggest adjusting your diet to high fat, moderate protein and low carb to help stave off your body's insulin response and mitigate the effects of your lack of sleep.
High fat diets increase insulin resistance.

Nutritionfacts.org - What Causes Insulin Resistance? (wfs)
Old 03-18-2015, 11:07 PM   #18
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

You do know what that means, dont you Darryl, and you only posted it out of the context to provoke people?

Phil's idea is spot on, high fat low carb and there is no issues. Issues happen when there are both involved in high amounts, so high fat, high carb.
Old 03-19-2015, 01:46 PM   #19
Darryl Shaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dare Vodusek View Post
You do know what that means, dont you Darryl, and you only posted it out of the context to provoke people?

Phil's idea is spot on, high fat low carb and there is no issues. Issues happen when there are both involved in high amounts, so high fat, high carb.
Restricting carbohydrates would not prevent someone from becoming insulin resistant on a high fat diet, it would just mask the symptoms until things got really bad.
Old 03-20-2015, 12:07 AM   #20
Dare Vodusek

Profile:

I am not so sure about that Darryl, do you have any scientific data to back that up, not just some article, but some study?

The only type of insulin resistance that consuming (saturated - particularly palmitic acid) fat causes is a transitory one while the fat is metabolized and utilized.

This is particularly true for the skeletal muscles and, by making them temporarily insulin resistant so that they preferentially draw on fats as an energy source, this spares any available glucose for those cells that cannot use any other substrate.

Of course, this works best when carb intake is kept to a minimum - hence the oft-repeated observation that a diet high in both carbs and fats (i.e., processed junk) is a bad idea. In other words, in the absence of dietary carbs and, therefore, lower blood glucose, the fats are used to create energy for the muscles rather than building up in the tissue. However, if you consume a lot of carbs along with the fat, blood glucose is hiked up and the muscles have to dispose of that first (creating energy) and the fatty acids don't get used up so much and get stored and those stores can potentially build up, I suppose, to a level that may cause longer-term problems.

Its just anther way of metabolic adaptation, not a permanent one.