CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-05-2015, 02:51 PM   #11
Luke Sirakos

Profile:
Re: Zone vs Renaissance Diet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Brigham View Post
most of you are saying what I have been worried about, the amount of food they want me to take in. playing with carbs is a new thing for me, I am finding the timing is easy for me to handle when i am not working, however when i am working (LEO) my job can pull my meals away for hours (which has happened a few times already). I can't say how active i am, I work 12.5 hour shifts constantly moving, I train at least 5 days a week, and I am surfing about 2 times a week as well, not counted as workout just calorie burning time. I am a classic endomorph body type, i have no problem putting on weight, but leaning is a harder for me then explaining patience to a 2 year old. my concern is simply that for simple food sake, in the last month I have taken away all soda, all fast food, all bread pasta etc. I am doing my best to eat as clean as I can, but i just can't seem to lose the weight, my coach thinks i should back off my strength training and focus more on running and body weight met cons, and that I will have to live with some (10-15%) of strength loss during the time.... I am just losing my mind with the lack of progress I am seeing or rather not seeing, I drink plenty of water... and yet lately I have been victim of 2 (in one week) large very painful muscle spams in my trap/neck area... don't now if that is connected, but I am now scheduled to see my doctor about this issue and more.... thank you for your advice
Are you tracking your calories everyday? If not then that is step one. Step two would be to eat less. Step three, profit.
Old 02-28-2015, 10:03 PM   #12
Nathan Holmes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick A Horsman View Post
Lets slow down here for a minute. This is a common problem with how people interpret the Zone diet.

In the Zone diet you only count the dominant macro from each food towards your block count.
This is not true at all. That is one of the easiest general ways to apply the Zone diet. An even more general way Dr. Sears mentions is the pick a piece of meat that is no bigger than the palm of your hand and then fill the rest of your plate with vegetables. It all depends on how precisely you want to measure your food, but the Zone diet applied the most precisely (and accurately) takes all macro from each food into account. For example, 7g of protein is assumed to have 1.5 grams of fat in it. If you eat 7g of white-meat turkey, however, you are depriving your body of half the fat your body needs for that block. It is easier to apply a food to only one macro category but is most certainly not the most precise or right way to apply the Zone diet.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:54 PM   #13
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

Quote:
pick a piece of meat that is no bigger than the palm of your hand and then fill the rest of your plate with vegetables.

Then pick another piece of meat and put it on top of all of that. Or go for 2nds at least.
Old 03-01-2015, 03:24 PM   #14
Luke Sirakos

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blair Robert Lowe View Post
Then pick another piece of meat and put it on top of all of that. Or go for 2nds at least.
I just assume palm of hand refers to the width. Stack it on up as high as you want
Old 03-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #15
Shawn M Wilson

Profile:

I found I was rarely hungry and often full when I was "really" working out a lot.

Good foods, just a tiny bit of junk once a week yielded solid results.

The hardest part was after 8 months of solid work and eating like this when I took a break and didn't stop the eating