CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 09-17-2005, 07:25 AM   #1
Chris Goodrich

Profile:
So I've finally broken down and decided to order some BFS bumpers to replace my crappy Wal-mart oly set so I can start working on the o-lifts. I need advice on the bar. Should I get a BFS bar while they're on sale, or hold out another month and invest in something like a York training bar? I've read the buyer's guide at Ironmind which talks about the difference in knurling etc. between a bar set up for powerlifting and for o-lifting. BFS's website doesn't say which their bars are. I plan to use the bar primarily CF style, high reps with relatively few max effort lifts. I don't think I need anything like an eleiko competition bar, but I'm willing to spend some exta money to invest in a quality, lifetime training tool upfront. I guess my real questions are:
-Are the BFS bars PL or O-lifing bars
-How much difference would I notice in using say the BFS elite bar vs. the York olympic training bar for learning the o-lifts and doing CF style workouts?
Thanks, Chris
Old 09-17-2005, 05:57 PM   #2
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
Get the BFS Super Bar black or Super Bar zinc for your Oly lifts. You don't want the Power Squat Bar for your Oly lifts, too stiff. I have two crapper bars that I use for DL's and squats, two Aluma Lite bars, one Ultra Lite bar and a Super Bar in black that I use for the Oly lifts and the CrossFit workouts. The knurling on the Ultra Lite and Aluma Lite bars is perfect. You will also like the knurling and the feel of the Super Bar. It spins very smoothly and is a joy to lift with...well, for awhile. Hurts like hell after a few reps like any other bar, but the feel is good...even if it doesn't feel good.

OK, that's my input. I have not lifted with the York bar to make a comparison but I don't really think you need to spend the really big bucks for the really high end stuff. The BFS Super Bar is a very good bar and feels terrific. There's lots of other stuff you can spend your money on instead...bumpers, kettlebells, Dynamax and D-ball medicine balls, Power Rings, stall mats... the list goes on.
Old 09-18-2005, 06:54 AM   #3
Steve Shafley

Profile:
I liked the stiffer bars to train the OLs on, because in a meet, when you jump to a nice Eleiko, it's so, so smooth and springy.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:49 AM   #4
Ronnie Ashlock

Profile:
I've had my BFS Super Bar Zinc for a week and I heartily recommend it. Make sure you tape up the bar where your hands will be, though. Mine was like a cheese grater.
Old 09-23-2005, 10:46 AM   #5
Seth Orell, Jr.

Profile:
Register another vote for BFS Super Bar (bought one last month & love it). And I'll second Ronnie's motion to watch your hands on 'em - the knurling is tough, indeed.
Old 09-23-2005, 09:26 PM   #6
Rene Renteria

Profile:
Would those of you with this bar mind commenting on how you can love it while at the same time saying the knurling is like a cheese grater? I keep thinking that the knurling would make me less likely to use it. Are you saying you would love it even more with gentler or less aggressive knurling or that you love it partly because of this? Or that it's painful but that the knurling contributes to being able to lift heavier?

The only bar I've used is the one at my gym (without bumpers, just regular weights), which has seen a lot of use and has very worn knurling and so is very comfortable on the hands.

Is it simply a matter of taping it up?

Thanks. Not ready to get a bar yet but will eventually, I hope.

Just curious,
Rene'
Old 09-24-2005, 10:49 AM   #7
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I personally don't like the cheese-grater knurling. Also, the knurling on each bar is not always the same, even with the same brand and model of bar. I don't know how long it takes for knurling to 'wear down' and not really sure it does. If you're shopping for a bar, it would probably be best to try it out and see how it feels, if that's an option. Why go through the time and trouble of taping up the bar if you can get a more comfortable one?
Old 09-25-2005, 06:10 PM   #8
Clay Jones

Profile:

If you are even considering the York bar, and want a bar you will own forever, you should really consider the Chapman bar. The knurling is not to sharp as some bars, and I have heard that Mike Chapman will even modify knurling on his bars on request. I have one that I use with some bumpers and I absolutely love it. The rotation is just about perfect (for me, anyway). I have not personally tried the York, so I have no direct comparison.
Old 09-25-2005, 06:16 PM   #9
Clay Jones

Profile:

Speaking of cheese graters, I used to own a Ivanko oly bar--the knurling was so sharp I would tear calluses on a regular basis. I grew to hate the thing.

Have heard that the Uesaka bars have even sharper knurling.
Old 10-15-2005, 09:25 AM   #10
John Kaupp

Profile:
Chapman Bars are a good Oly bar. Haven't had any problems with the knurling on the bar tearing up my hands.