CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 10-15-2005, 11:51 PM   #1
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Hi,

As part of my CrossFit Boulder Creek facility, we are putting in some outdoor equipment cause it is so beautiful here (except when it rains). Today We did finished the pull up bars and Sam built me a low balance beam. (Sam is my 9 year old son).

Here is a link to photos:

http://crossfitbouldercreek.com/buildingthegym1.htm

There is going to be one more, thicker and longer, bar going from the tallest 4X4 to the oak tree. There is a bit if an incline there and it will allow us to hang ropes and the rings out there.

Measurements: The wood is all 4X4s. The bars are at various heights based on trying to meet the needs of little folks (kid sized), medium, and tall. I want to move the highest up higher actually to about 8.5 feet. The lowest is right at 7 feet. I plan to use it for some gymnastics stuff too like pullovers. The posts are 4 feet apart and on angles to each other. Sort of like a W. It seemed to make it stronger. The posts are cemented in.

Hope that is enough detail. If not, ask.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:45 AM   #2
Steve Seckinger

Profile:
Beth,
Very nice! Your pics are inspirational too, as we are planning a similar project at the new house in a space a chicken coop was. (Nothing wrong with chickens, it just wasn't for us.) Did you secure the bars to the 4x4's with pipe floor flanges? 1" pipe throughout?
Steve
Old 10-16-2005, 09:45 PM   #3
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
Steve,
Yes on the floor flanges.
3/4" pipe.

JK (who built 'em)
Old 10-16-2005, 09:48 PM   #4
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Yep - Jonathan built em for me. He is the cute guy in the pics. Check out his forearm!

<heehee>
Old 10-16-2005, 09:49 PM   #5
Beth Moscov

Profile:
One thing you can't see well in the photo is that we have short pieces of 4X4 cemented in next to each post. I wanted them for me cause I am short and that way I can step up to the higher bar. It works for my son too (who built the balance beam).
Old 10-18-2005, 12:46 PM   #6
Jonathan Kessler

Profile:
Nikki asked for construction details.
I'm not the world's handiest guy, so things were kept pretty simple.
I used 4' lengths of galvanized steel pipe for the bars. I used 3/4" (internal diameter), might replace the highest bar with 1", and I'll add a large diamter bar at a later date.
These are attached to the supports (4x4' lumber) with "pipe floor flanges".
The 4x4's are sunk 2-2.5 feet into the ground, mounted in concrete, and are arranged at right angles in a sort of "Z" shape.
The holes are dug wider at the top, creating a sort of "plug" that, I'm told, adds stability. It made sense to me, so I did it.
The shortest 4x4 is 8 feet (for the bar mounted at 5 feet). The longest are 12 feet, and the medium is 10 feet.
I also mounted shorter lengths of 4x4's as "steps" next to the poles (you can see them in the photos) so that shorter people can use taller bars (like my 9 y.o. son really likes getting up on the highest bar).
The old adage "measure twice, cut once" really applies. I used the bars themselves to verify the measurements as I was digging the holes.
For me it was easiest to mount one of the flanges on the pole before installing it (that old measure thing...), and mount the bar, then raise and install the pole, then mount the bar/flange on the other (already installed) pole. hope that makes sense.
It all went together pretty well, actually.
JK