CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 04-06-2006, 09:57 AM   #1
Jonathon Edward

Profile:
For those who don't know, a couple years back I was practicing BJJ and wound up dislocating my knee pretty severely. We were practicing take downs and I landed on my left leg - knee locked - and pop went my knee cap. Long story short, I was on crutches for 3 months and recovering for a long while after that. I've always had problems with my left knee, I feel this is in large part due to muscle imbalances caused by faulty training methods. I'm looking to get back into BJJ and eventually MMA but am worried about dislocating my knee once again. CF has done wonders to correct my muscle imabalances and combined with some Westside-Barbell style work has dramatically strengthened my weaknesses - vastus medialis and posterior chain. I'm looking to purchase a quality knee brace that will help to prevent any possible future dislocation. Any suggestions? Thanks a lot.
Old 04-06-2006, 03:10 PM   #2
paul arestan

Profile:

I am not sure a brace would prevent knee disclocation, unless it is the type that has metal reinforcements on the sides, but it may not be practical to train in martial arts.
The rubber ones (look like wet suit material) only keep the knee warm, put light pressure on the muscles and tell the brain to workk on these muscles harder, but it doesn't have any mechanical advantage or offer real protection.
The effect is mainly psychological, not that much physiological, but, when I had knee problems, they still made a big difference by somehow getting rid of the pain and allowing me to run normaly.
They are PTs on this board who are much more knowledgeable than I am and they may have an other point of view.

Old 04-07-2006, 05:48 AM   #3
Timothy C Dixon

Profile:
My son tore his ACL and wears a brace from DonJoy called an Extreme. It allows him to train with some level of confidence. He has adapted his game around that weakness. He has learned to keep his right leg forward so shots would be on his good knee and he is really careful to let others know he is wearing a brace for their safety. We pad his brace and then wrap it to keep it from hurting others. A knee to the head during a triangle or armbar is never any fun and the padding keeps it from being much worse. We also usually start from our knees when rolling live with him. When we do drills we are just a little more careful. Oh and of course no knee bars or heel hooks on that leg. Our martial arts school is very understanding and tries to work with him. If you are going to eventualy compete then the brace is a no go though.