CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > In Sickness and In Health > Injuries
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Injuries Chronic & Acute

Old 09-06-2005, 09:08 AM   #1
Kevin Weinkauff

Profile:

For people that have have nagging injuries or aches/pains (which is most of us) do you find CF to be beneficial? I realize this is a pretty general question, but I was curious to get some feedback. I personally have a nagging shoulder problem, and I realized that everyone here probably has some sort of physical ailment.
CF is pretty intense, and doesn't necessarily follow traditional workout methodology. I was wondering if people felt if their nagging injuries felt better or worse while doing CF. Sorry for the long post.
Kevin
Old 09-06-2005, 10:02 AM   #2
Karl Steadman

Profile:
Kevin,

Apart from my bust ankle that i did doing a triathlon last weekend, all my "old" ailments like tight hamstrings, weak lower back and massively over-tight IT band are NO MORE...

Train effectively and hard...the results show!
Old 09-06-2005, 11:51 AM   #3
Jason Billows

Profile:
Seems to be helping some of my previous injuries.

I had rotator cuff problems and did physio for a long time. Shortly after starting CF and not doing physio anymore my shoulder got better. I think the dips and pullups did it for me. I still have to take it slow with overhead presses, but at least my shoulder doesn't bother me throughout the day as it used to.

I'm also recovering from a hurniated disk that left my lower back muscles very weak. I can feel myself getting stronger and stronger. The squats are also helping immensely. I find I'm squatting to pick stuff up now rather than just bending at the waist.

On the odd occasion I'll push my back too hard or get sloppy and strain my back muscles, but it's always my fault.

Overall, CF has proven to be great in not only preventing injuries, but rehabilitating previous ones.
Old 09-06-2005, 01:59 PM   #4
Veronica Carpenter

Profile:
I feel much better, less aches and pains when I'm training than when I'm not - CF or otherwise. If an ache or pain surfaces when I've been training regularly, well I at least know it's from being active and not from wasting away.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:57 PM   #5
David Besachio

Profile:
I think active people hurt sometimes. It comes with the territory. Overall I think I'm better off for being active in this program.
Old 09-06-2005, 07:56 PM   #6
Stephen Reeks

Profile:
i came to crossfit with some injuries and am happy to say that they are not a factor any more.
i think most of the time i got injured because i lacked the work capacity. crossfit has taken care of that
Old 09-06-2005, 08:32 PM   #7
Beth Moscov

Profile:
Since starting crossfit, my chronic back pains are mostly gone. They only show up if I skip too many crossfit workouts. I don't find the same thing when I focus on my jui jitsu or run training workouts. I find that the "one piece" effect that crossfit develops as well as the posterior chain development, really makes me strong and injury free.

However, in the beginning, I had all sorts of niggling things. Many I figured out were little muscles not used in my previous body building/isolation type workouts. Others were ligaments needing to strengthen which takes longer than muscle (especially now that I am past 40).

I still get injured but it tends to be outside of crossfit workouts.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:42 PM   #8
David Birozy

Profile:
I agree with everybody else. The only time I've been back to the ortho with knee's that were killing me was when I stopped working out.

Seems the muscles, ligaments and tendons weren't strongly supporting the joint. After being sent back to physical therapy and hitting the gym again, things were perfect again.

One of the important keys is knowing your body. Being able to distinguish the "good" pain from the "bad" pain, and stopping as soon as you get the "bad" pain to re-evaluate and adjust what you are doing. Another important key is using proper form.

You can hurt yourself in any workout. Work smart, and you'll greatly reduce your chance of injury. Work smart, and you'll never feel better!!
Old 09-06-2005, 11:31 PM   #9
Andrew Cattermole

Profile:
I surport the move it or lose it thought.
That said a large part of that is Form Form more Form(particularly for older Lads/Lass who may be "unlearning" things),which will allow for greater intensity in time.
Old 09-07-2005, 04:18 AM   #10
Kevin Weinkauff

Profile:

Thanks for all of the thoughts and input.
Kev