CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 11-18-2014, 10:35 PM   #1
Rolando Garcia

Profile:
Opinions on hang clean

http://youtu.be/gObNPJ7zRAw

I hope I'm doing this right (adding video)
Old 11-22-2014, 06:17 AM   #2
David Meverden

Profile:
Re: Opinions on hang clean

Someone was giving feedback in the video. Another lifter? Is there a coaching staff that isn't very experience?

Anyway, I'm not concerned right now about the pause, my first priority for you would getting some layback in your pull. Your body goes straight up with the bar in front of you, as opposed to up and back with the bar in the middle. Getting to that laybacked position is important because:
1) it lets you get your hips fully open and
2) as the barbell gets heavier you've got to layback in your pull or the center of gravity of you + bar will be too far forward and you'll loose the bar.

A picture will help. I'm trying to upload a side by side of you and the lifter in this video, but it isn't working. For now, check out the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJpZqJn5cCU (WFS, except for woman in sports bra)

You're also kind of loose. Pull your shoulders back and engage the lats when you pull.

If you focus on those two things I think you'll soon be moving some solid weight as most of the other elements are decent: you're keeping the bar pretty close, your rack position is OK, and your transition to the rack is decently fast.
Old 11-22-2014, 06:22 AM   #3
David Meverden

Profile:

Upload still not working. OK, check this out instead. Look at the lower left image to see the layback I'm talking about:

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...tart=0&ndsp=12 (WFS)
Old 11-22-2014, 07:08 AM   #4
Brett Valego

Profile:

i disagree. the straightness of the pull is good. just don't need to use your arms to get the bar UP, use your shoulders and traps to get the bar up and then arms to pull under. bar doesn't need/shouldn't go any higher than your belly button, if that. if you start doing the 'layback' you will begin a habit of over pulling and using your back more than your legs and shoulders. so just think extend legs then shrug shoulders hard and get down to catch at parallel fast!
good luck!
Old 11-23-2014, 06:23 AM   #5
David Meverden

Profile:

Hey! Attachment worked this time!

You don't think the difference in position seen in the attached side by side is a problem, Brett? His barbell is out in front of his toes, whereas her barbell is over the middle of her foot. He was able to reel it in because the barbell isn't that heavy compared to his bodyweight (OP: useful info would be how much weight is on the bar, your bodyweight, and some stats such as max front squat and full clean) but as the barbell gets heavier the fact that it's too far out in front will become a bigger and bigger problem.

Also noticed footwork this time; or rather, the lack thereof. The feet transitioning to a wider stance will probably put you in a better squat position, OP.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HangClnSidebySide.jpg
Views:	434
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	13644  
Old 11-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #6
Keith Miller

Profile:

I agree with Brett. The OP is not bringing his hips through and not using his lats to keep the bar closer, instead he's using his arms to try and pull the bar higher. Layback is not the answer, although a lifter pulling correctly will have some layback, it just should not be emphasized.
Old 11-23-2014, 02:35 PM   #7
Blair Robert Lowe

Profile:

1. Keep your chest and eyes up. Shoulders back.

2. Whether the bar touches you on the hips or thighs isn't as important as long as there is some contact. Some people hip clean, some people thigh clean. A small issue.

3. Definitely pulling it too high. But I'm more concerned about the need for chest and eyes up with shoulders back.
Old 11-23-2014, 04:39 PM   #8
Brett Valego

Profile:

those side by side pictures? I'd take the one of the left over the picture of the girl. this 'layback' that you seem to think is a good idea, isn't.
I'd imagine her bar will have some horizontal displacement and she's over pulling with her back. her shoulders can't be used efficiently if she's leaned back like that.

the video/picture that we started with, well he's obviously a newby, which is ok. needs to move his feet out, absolutely. but the pull is straight and the bar is probably a little bit out in front but that's from lack of proper set up/hang position to start with (probably could have hips a bit more back which would get shoulders a bit more over the bar)

less arms, more legs than shoulders/traps. I like how straight and vertical his back is on the pull, everything can work in the proper order.

the being on the toes happens before he really moves at all, it has nothing to do with being straight. his whole body is moving onto his toes before any movement really begins. so technically while he's in the 'hang' position with the bar against his thighs, he's already on his toes.....
Old 11-25-2014, 06:33 PM   #9
David Meverden

Profile:

I'm a little puzzled by your "'layback' that you seem to think is a good idea, isn't" considering that I've never seen any high level weightlifter clean without hitting a laid back position that looks incredibly similar to the one you rejected. Heck, I could have grabbed a bunch of stills of world record holders to explain what I meant about layback instead, but those lifts wouldn't have been from a hang position.

I can understand the argument that the layback will happen automatically if everything else is setup correctly, thus shouldn't be the direct target of intervention. I'm not 100% convinced of that for this case, but that argument makes sense. But unlike Keith, you haven't been making that case, Brett.
Old 11-26-2014, 05:24 AM   #10
Eric R Cohen

Profile:

Look at the recent video on the main page about eliminating the early arm pull. Dot everything in that video