CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 04-28-2014, 06:50 PM   #1
mike vinson

Profile:
Masters Sprint Template

can someone hook me up with a sprint template? im 46, always been a lifter but not much of a sprinter. I don't really have any goals. just want to get faster without getting injured. id like to get better at 40yd, 60-100-200 and 400m. I follow mainsite and was thinking of sprinting on the 3rd day before the off day? I just don't know enough about how to put it together/how much volume? as always, thanks guys.
Old 04-29-2014, 02:16 AM   #2
Jeff Sprunger

Profile:
Re: Masters Sprint Template

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike vinson View Post
can someone hook me up with a sprint template? im 46, always been a lifter but not much of a sprinter. I don't really have any goals. just want to get faster without getting injured. id like to get better at 40yd, 60-100-200 and 400m. I follow mainsite and was thinking of sprinting on the 3rd day before the off day? I just don't know enough about how to put it together/how much volume? as always, thanks guys.
Hey Mike. I'm almost 42 and have used the following to increase speed and endurance. I use a treadmill, but it could also be done outside. I use a treadmill because it forces me to run the same speed; outside I know I will slow down. anyway...on the treadmill, I start off walking at 3.3, I do this for a minute. then, jack it up to 7.5 or so. I give myself a minute or two to adjust to the increase in speed. once my breathing has regulated, I crank it up to 11.1. I use 11.1 because it is easy to hit 1 three times and then hit enter. I run at 11.1 for 100 meters and then hop off on the side rails and reduce the speed back to 3.3. I repeat this for 5 or 6 times, in the beginning. I do this for 1-2 weeks. over time, I increase the number of intervals, up to 10-12 per sessions. once I'm comfortable with the number of intervals, I increase the speed and then the distance. after 2-3 months of doing this, I was able to run at 14.4 for about 30 seconds for multiple intervals. this type of workout really worked for me. I only did it 3 times a week. I dropped my Army PT test 2 mile run by 1 min and half AND I never once ran 2 miles.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:54 PM   #3
Larry Bruce

Profile:

40m and 100m training is probably going to be different and those runners don't have any interest in miles. I don't think you can really train this distance well on the treadmill either, as acceleration is important. Also it's far more technical in terms of form.

Are you sure you want that super short distance, or do you just want the exhilaration of running fast for short duration, which can be easily accomplished.

Also, I agree with Jeff. You can definitely increase your short-distance endurance by sprinting alone, especially if you don't do a lot of running. Also it gets you acclimated to handling a faster pace. Personally I am 54 years and haven't been as aggressive and have been focusing on the 400s, 800s at 6-8mph but a 6% grade. This allows me to get quality work in without testing top speed. And then running 150s - 400s at a 9-10mph clip with a .5% grade. I might try 11.1 though!

I've also seen my mile time go down by at least 20 seconds to 7:30 doing this for a few months, but I was running before so the change wasn't super dramatic. Am pretty sure my 100m is down also though don't have an accurate measurement either before or now!
Old 04-30-2014, 09:12 AM   #4
Steven Wingo

Profile:

My advice:

At your age--don't take offense I'm just one year behind you and have been there done that with lots of speedwork even at younger ages--is to start off with baby steps. Don't sprint at first. Do "striders" instead. A strider is a maybe 85-90% of your sprint speed but not an all out sprint. Open it up and run fast but hold back so that you are not sprinting. Sprinting before you are prepared to do so is a real set up for injury.

Also, consider sprinting such strong medicine that you must start out with very small doses. For example, 6 x 50m striders only no sprinting on your first day is plenty.

Here is a an example of a workout:

800m run to warm-up
roll out and stretch
6 x 50m striders not sprints
800m cool down run
stretch

Do that for a couple of weeks
Then in week 3 make the last 2 striders almost sprints--almost all out but still holding back
In week 4 make the last 4 of 6 50m efforts almost sprints
In week 6 make all 5 almost sprints

Once you make it through that 6 weeks, without getting hurt, then start increasing the reps and distance and turn them into all out sprints.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:31 AM   #5
mike vinson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Wingo View Post
My advice:

At your age--don't take offense I'm just one year behind you and have been there done that with lots of speedwork even at younger ages--is to start off with baby steps. Don't sprint at first. Do "striders" instead. A strider is a maybe 85-90% of your sprint speed but not an all out sprint. Open it up and run fast but hold back so that you are not sprinting. Sprinting before you are prepared to do so is a real set up for injury.

Also, consider sprinting such strong medicine that you must start out with very small doses. For example, 6 x 50m striders only no sprinting on your first day is plenty.

Here is a an example of a workout:

800m run to warm-up
roll out and stretch
6 x 50m striders not sprints
800m cool down run
stretch

Do that for a couple of weeks
Then in week 3 make the last 2 striders almost sprints--almost all out but still holding back
In week 4 make the last 4 of 6 50m efforts almost sprints
In week 6 make all 5 almost sprints

Once you make it through that 6 weeks, without getting hurt, then start increasing the reps and distance and turn them into all out sprints.
hey wingo, i like this thanks...how many days a week would you think?
Old 04-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #6
Steven Wingo

Profile:

I'd say 2x a week at most during the ramp up period. Give 2 a shot the first week and see how you feel. Remember you are much better off being a little too cautious than overdoing it and getting sidelined with an injury. I view sprinting as very different from and more risky than regular old running or even very fast running--the benefits of sprinting are big but the risk is high.

Once you ramp up, and are doing all out sprint workouts, I think one high quality workout a week is plenty if you are just doing this as supplemental training and don't have some type of sprint event you are targeting. Think of all out sprinting kind of like one rep maxing with squats or deadlifts. Make each sprint workout an excellent one and then fully recover before going again. Don't sprint all out until you have gone through a ramp up period, just as you wouldn't try to set one rep maxes on lifts such as the squat or deadlift without having ramp up training under your belt.

Another thing you may want to do is watch some videos on pose running. There are plenty in the CrossFit Journal. It is not easy stuff to learn, but really can really pay dividends in terms of efficient running and avoiding injury.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:17 PM   #7
Kevin J. Fleming

Profile:

I recommend doing hill sprints (walk down) and sled harness sprints on flat ground. It is much harder to pull a hamstring when going uphill or pulling a sled.

I am 43 and do hill sprints regularly and sled sprints once in a while (set up is longer).

Be sure to warm up and I think some hamstring exercises like Nordic Curls/Natural Hamstring Raises and hamstring curls on a slideboard might be worth adding to your workouts.

Do not bother with a treadmill unless you have access to a Woodway Curve or something similar.