CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 06-21-2005, 05:39 AM   #1
Scott Kustes

Profile:
I was searching the archives yesterday for threads on intermittent fasting and came across some quite old ones. I was wondering if anyone still experimented with this? Not necessarily every other day, but like once or twice a week, every 3rd day (Robb?), etc.
Old 06-21-2005, 12:08 PM   #2
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
The way I read Robb's interview on Crossfit Live is he doesn't eat anything from dinner, until after training in the morning (15 hours). Run intermittent fasting (IF) on Google and stand back. Seems to be a crap load of animal studies which support IF. One study found IF derived more benifits than ultra low calorie eating, with no body mass loss. Most of the studies do an every other day fast, but let the participants over feed on the eating days, keeping calorie volume = per week. So if you eat dinner at 6:00 p.m. you would next eat at 9:00 a.m. A WOD in the morning, I would think, would simulate at least another couple of hours of fasting. The total hours of fasting per week (15 hours) adds up to about the same as every other day fasting. I'd like to hear Robb's comments, or more of Robb's comments.
Old 06-21-2005, 02:38 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Larry, Scott-
Not really anytyhing to add, you covered it! I do not know if this is a viable way of eating for everyone but it works for me. There are some VERY interesting blood markers in the IF protocol (IGF, B-hydroxybutyrate). Add a paleo/zone diet to the mix and some crossfitting...I think there are some compelling ideas here.
Robb
Old 06-21-2005, 03:02 PM   #4
Jeremy Jones

Profile:
Just started doing IF, but I am starting slow - once or twice a week at the most. I already run a schedule that is lacking in sleep and I don't want to do too much to upset the balance that I have to keep by adding too many stressors at once.

IF has seemed to be fairly easy so far (only doing it for a couple weeks. I usually ingest a little coffee and/or green tea during my fasts. They usually last about 14 - 16 hours.

So far I have been doing them at set intervals (Monday, Thursday), but now I am going to try and do an intermittent fast the night of a Rest Day. I figure that if I didn't have to do any serious exertion (representing the physical demands of a hunt/chase) I don't need to eat as much (for those hours, I am still trying to keep my total intake per day the same).

I plan on letting people know how it is going as time continues. It does seem that I have had a recent drop of weight without loss of performance. This might also correlate to me finally getting settled down in my new house and getting back to a more strict training regimen.

Only time will tell . . .
Old 06-21-2005, 03:06 PM   #5
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Larry, for some reason I got a wild hair last night and decided to research IF. So I Google'd it and you're right, "stand back!". There were pages and pages of hits. Granted most of them said the same thing, there was alot of promising information in there.

Robb, basically, you don't eat from 6pm to 9am everyday? Do you still eat as many blocks in that 9 hours as you would in a full 15-16?

Very interesting stuff and I'm thinking about starting some more diet experiments since I'm pretty ingrained in the nearly Paleo Zone thing now (a bit of cottage cheese and a slice or two of bread a week throw off total Paleo).
Old 06-21-2005, 03:20 PM   #6
Christian Hansen

Profile:
I'm taking a day off work tommorow and am going on a hike. I'm going to pig out today until 6 and then see if I can go 24hrs. I know it would be easy if I was doing pure paleo but the last 2 days I freaked out about my weight and drank a couple 1/2 gallons of milk mixed with whey protein. SUGARRRRRRRRR!!!!
Old 06-21-2005, 04:28 PM   #7
Mark Gebhard

Profile:
The Crossfit Live interview really got me interested in this. When I get up the courage, I think I'll try it. Until then, I'd love if people share their experiences with IF as much as possible.
Old 06-22-2005, 07:18 AM   #8
Troy Archie

Profile:
I was thinking about this topic lately. My biggest problem is that I do the WOD of the day later at night, 6-7 PM, hit the sack about 9:30-10 and I have 4 meals before I hit the gym. Any suggestions on how someone who doesn't workout in the morning could implement IF?
Old 06-22-2005, 08:54 AM   #9
Scott Kustes

Profile:
Troy, I just started thinking about that too. I'll have no problems when working from home, but when I'm traveling, getting in a workout in the morning is going to be difficult. Suggestions appreciated.
Old 06-22-2005, 08:59 AM   #10
Erik Reckdenwald

Profile:
I have been experimenting with IF, as Robb described it on CrossFit Live, every day for a week and a half. It has been going really well, with basically no problems. I usually workout at night, from 5-6 pm, then wait about an hour after I'm done to eat dinner and I don't eat again until the next morning between 9 and 10 am. I eat my 5 Zone meals a day between the hours of 10 am and 7 pm and don't feel hungry most of the time, because the calories are all there, just at a different interval.

I look leaner than before starting this, but I have recently added some ab muscle work to the WOD and haven't been eating within an hour before or after exercise, so I'm not sure if it's all or one of these changes that's helping. For the most part, this seems like something that I could keep up for the long term, without too much hassle.