CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 01-13-2013, 08:44 PM   #1
Michael Myers

Profile:
Rest When Running Hills

I run a very steep hill up and down as hard as I can for around 3 minutes. I don't rest on the way down, I actually run down. After 3 minutes I am completely exhausted, both my legs and lungs. It takes me 8 minutes or more to completely recover to do another set. If I don't rest long enough I end up vomiting on the hill. I am in fairly good shape, but this makes me feel weak and pathetic.

My question is: Am I doing something wrong to need so much rest between sets of this exercise? Is a 3:1 work to rest ratio good or bad when running tough hills? I am used to doing Crossfit, taking little rest between sets, so it is very unnerving to be resting for so long. I would feel much better if some experts could tell me if I'm doing alright or doing something wrong.

I appreciate any help you could give me. Thanks all
Old 01-13-2013, 08:56 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: Rest When Running Hills

Wait so you do multiple 3 minutes sets? It takes you 8 minutes to recover from 3 minutes of work? Did I read that right?

Sounds semi-normal to me. Running all out for 3 minutes up any type of hill would be hellish. Just finishing one set of 3 minutes at 100% up any decent hill is pretty good.

How long and how steep is the hill?
Old 01-13-2013, 09:01 PM   #3
Pearse Shields

Profile:

I remember when I used to do this with my old MMA coach. We'd sprint up until we ran out of gas, then jog back down until we caught some wind back, then sprint up again. After 3 minutes, walk back down, rest a minute, then go another 2-3 rounds.

I'd say that if you're working at 100% all the time, then you'd definitely need a longer break though.
Old 01-13-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
Michael Myers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
I remember when I used to do this with my old MMA coach. We'd sprint up until we ran out of gas, then jog back down until we caught some wind back, then sprint up again. After 3 minutes, walk back down, rest a minute, then go another 2-3 rounds.

I'd say that if you're working at 100% all the time, then you'd definitely need a longer break though.
Would you define a "longer break" 8-9 minutes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Thomas View Post
Wait so you do multiple 3 minutes sets? It takes you 8 minutes to recover from 3 minutes of work? Did I read that right?

Sounds semi-normal to me. Running all out for 3 minutes up any type of hill would be hellish. Just finishing one set of 3 minutes at 100% up any decent hill is pretty good.

How long and how steep is the hill?
Yes I try to do 3 sets. And yes it takes my lungs and to a lesser extent my legs 8 minutes to recover. Hellish is the perfect word to describe it. I'd say the hill is probably a 75% grade (35 degrees) of patchy grass with loose rock, holes, roots, etc.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #5
Larry Bruce

Profile:

Whatever doesn't kill you ...
Old 01-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #6
Dan Douglas

Profile:

Wait, there is a steep hill in Miami?

Care to share details?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:28 AM   #7
Michael Myers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Douglas View Post
Wait, there is a steep hill in Miami?

Care to share details?
I actually go to Coconut Grove for this hill, not actually in Miami.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #8
Michael Myers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Bruce View Post
Whatever doesn't kill you ...
Haha..yeah easy for you to say. Burning my throat with vomit once or twice a week wouldn't kill me but I kinda doubt it would make me stronger lol.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:30 AM   #9
Andrew N. Casey

Profile:

working for 3 minutes and resting for 8 is less than a 1:3 work to rest ratio, which isn't much at all. the more intense the work then the greater the work to rest ratio. lifters take 3 to 5 minute breaks between heavy sets. if you sprinted 100m it would take less than 15 seconds but resting 2 minutes between efforts would not be unreasonable at all. if you are truly giving it your all for 3 minutes, especially if some of it is uphill, then resting 8 minutes is not a big deal. if you want to improve it then start using a watch and time your work and rest periods precisely and then slowly increase work or reduce rest over time.
Old 01-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
Michael Myers

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew N. Casey View Post
working for 3 minutes and resting for 8 is less than a 1:3 work to rest ratio, which isn't much at all. the more intense the work then the greater the work to rest ratio. lifters take 3 to 5 minute breaks between heavy sets. if you sprinted 100m it would take less than 15 seconds but resting 2 minutes between efforts would not be unreasonable at all. if you are truly giving it your all for 3 minutes, especially if some of it is uphill, then resting 8 minutes is not a big deal. if you want to improve it then start using a watch and time your work and rest periods precisely and then slowly increase work or reduce rest over time.
Makes complete sense when you put it that way. My ego isn't always rational