CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-01-2005, 06:03 PM   #1
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I didn't want to detract from Larry's thread in "Fitness" but why the recommendation to drink a gallon of water? I understand the importance of getting hydrated so you don't have to sell me on the benefits of water. By why not 1/4 gallon per day (on top of fruits and vegetables which are full of water)?
Old 01-01-2005, 06:05 PM   #2
Michael Pearce

Profile:
My friend is a doctor and he has told me that you should drink a liter of water for every 25 kilos of body weight. This will keep you hydrated and help to keep colds and the flu away.
Old 01-02-2005, 08:17 AM   #3
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Thanks Paul! One gallon for an athlete in training is what I've heard recommended. One reason is you WILL be hydrated! Another is, your body will use calories to warm the water, which over time, creates a calorie deficit. Water is also a natural diuretic. I believe it also helps to remove byproducts of fat loss and exercise. The recommendation may need to be modified for bodyweight, but a gallon is a good target to shoot for. My wife, who weighs just over 100 lbs and workouts daily drinks a gallon of water a day.
Old 01-02-2005, 06:30 PM   #4
Eugene R. Allen

Profile:
http://www.honoluluclub.com/pulse.php?ID=31

Check out this link. You can drink too much water and throw off your mineral balance.
Old 01-02-2005, 11:06 PM   #5
Kevin Roddy

Profile:
Hyponatremia is a very difficult condition to contract. Unless you are a super-endurance athlete who sweats a lot for a long period of time during physical activity, you needn't really worry about mineral balance.
Old 01-04-2005, 03:54 PM   #6
John de la Garza

Profile:
That number seems arbitrary. I am a raw fooder, I mean I only eat raw foods. I go days and drink no water. My diet is %90-95 raw fruits and veg. I do eat large amounts of mellon with out adding water. I also juice carrots and apples (other things, too)

I eat very little meat and about a cup or so of raw nuts a day. I do eat sushimi and raw eggs. When I go out to dinner I usually eat a extra rare steak. I ask them to make it as rare as they can.

I pee often and it is usually clear.

I really doubt I need to drink any more additional water to be hydrated to the max let alone drink a gallon.

The only water I usually drink is when I add it to the blender to make one of my main drinks which consist of 1 apple, 1 banana, 1 pear, and some frozen mango or papaya.

I think how much water one drinks depends on many things.
Old 01-04-2005, 04:01 PM   #7
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
I think drinking a gallon of water a day is backed by oodles of pseudo-science. It is arbitrary.
Old 01-04-2005, 05:23 PM   #8
Keith Wittenstein

Profile:
Why is there so much resistance to drinking water?

It's hysterical. I've seen a lot of threads here and other places about drinking a gallon (or more) of water per day and inevitably I see the same things every time.

First, is the hyponatremia scare. You have to drink way more than a gallon of water per day to get hyponatremia. It is extremely rare except in marathoner/triathletes and drunk kids trying to beat breath-a-lizers.

Second is the "I don't drink any water and I'm fine" response. Yes, for every good idea out there, there is always someone who does the exact opposite of what is recommended and is perfectly fine. Like that guy in the midwest that eats Big Macs all day long and is skinny and relatively "healthy."

Finally, there is the "science" debate. For almost every activity or idea on this forum (or the internet for that matter) there is scientific evidence for and against it. Likewise, there is ample anectdotal evidence for and against everything.

I just find it so strange that when you mention something as benign as drinking more water, people get all up in arms. It's probably the easiest and cheapest thing you can do to improve your overall health and wellbeing, yet people have an extreme aversion to it.

It fascinates me how people on this forum would sooner take someone's advice about juggling 50lb kettlebells and risk dropping them on their heads, feet, floors and pets or throw out everything in their fridge and eat like a caveman before they would drink an extra 4 to 8 glasses of water a day.

Does anyone else out there think this is funny or am I alone?

Happy New Year!!!!

before
Old 01-04-2005, 05:52 PM   #9
John de la Garza

Profile:
I'm the guy who said I don't drink any water...I probably wasn't clear in making my point.

What I was trying to say is to come up with some arbitrary number is kind of crazy. It really depends on many things, one being how much of your diet already contains huge amounts of water.

an extra 4-8 ounces isn't what we're talking about by the way

my only point is that there are far too many variables to just come up with a number of how much water one should drink

ps. I do think this is funny
Old 01-04-2005, 05:54 PM   #10
John de la Garza

Profile:
who is getting up in arms about this? I think people are just giving their oppinions about the topic