CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Running a CrossFit Facility
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Running a CrossFit Facility Tips and guidance on how to open and operate a CrossFit gym.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:40 PM   #1
John Swanson

Profile:
Pulling from the High Schools

So alot of you know I train youth athletes. I struggle big time however pulling in the high school football athletes. Each high school does the same thing. They say they have a football lifting program that everyone does in the summer. However there is only one coach and over 100 kids. They don't have a program and basically just do an open gym policy. I also know a large majority of these coaches have zero back ground in proper coaching. I talk to tons of youth athletes and I always get the same response, Im going to do the football program. They do it cause they don't want to make their coach mad which I understand but at the same time they are missing such a huge opportunity.

So how do you get these kids to break out of this habit. I have tried talking with the coaches but it seems that they are comfortable with their system plus it is a huge huge money maker for them.
Old 03-10-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Marcus Allen

Profile:
Re: Pulling from the High Schools

Quote:
it is a huge huge money maker for them.
yeah, that.

The best way, IMHO is to go after the kids who missed varsity, or JV or whichever team they thought they should have made and didn't. Show them how your program will get them ahead of the kids who beat them last year.

How do you find them? Advertise at the sporting goods stores, team apparel places or local teen hang outs.

Or you could try to talk the coaches in to giving you one or two kids to "experiment" on. When they come in bigger, faster stronger than the coach thought they should, you're in.
Old 03-10-2011, 06:13 PM   #3
John Swanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus Allen View Post
yeah, that.

The best way, IMHO is to go after the kids who missed varsity, or JV or whichever team they thought they should have made and didn't. Show them how your program will get them ahead of the kids who beat them last year.

How do you find them? Advertise at the sporting goods stores, team apparel places or local teen hang outs.

Or you could try to talk the coaches in to giving you one or two kids to "experiment" on. When they come in bigger, faster stronger than the coach thought they should, you're in.

I did talk to the coaches and they love our program but again they make stupid amounts of money of their program so they don't want to give up their athletes even if it will make them better. It is funny all the captains and best players for each team train with us, but the kids who wanna impress their coach wont make the change cause they think they will get ahead just by showing their face to the coaches over the summer.
Old 03-11-2011, 07:33 PM   #4
John Kaupp

Profile:

Provide coaching for the coaches. Help them get a program set up and give mini clinics on different technical aspects of the program. You are not going to get a lot of kids right now the way it is. If you are on campus and visible, other sports that do not lift in the summer may come your way.
Old 03-16-2011, 12:25 PM   #5
Dave Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kaupp View Post
Provide coaching for the coaches. Help them get a program set up and give mini clinics on different technical aspects of the program. .
This...and get t-shirts/swag on all of the guys you're already training. get them to get the word out for you.
Old 03-16-2011, 04:24 PM   #6
CJ Kim

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swanson View Post
[/b]they make stupid amounts of money of their program so they don't want to give up their athletes even if it will make them better.
No doubt. If I had it all to do over again I would go into high school coaching. Ka-Ching
Old 03-16-2011, 06:14 PM   #7
Mike Hopper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Kim View Post
No doubt. If I had it all to do over again I would go into high school coaching. Ka-Ching
LOL.. I would assume you're kidding...
Old 03-16-2011, 06:17 PM   #8
John Swanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hopper View Post
LOL.. I would assume you're kidding...
They don't personally make a ton of money doing so but the money goes to the program.

Like were talking 30k for a summer.
Old 03-16-2011, 08:14 PM   #9
Mike Hopper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Swanson View Post
They don't personally make a ton of money doing so but the money goes to the program.

Like were talking 30k for a summer.
That's good for them. That allows them to upgrade facilities. I've seen one of the schools up in Minnesota and the program that they have.

I love how you all are griping because they don't want to let you have a piece of the pie!

At my high school, the kids don't pay a dime for summer workouts.
Old 03-16-2011, 09:13 PM   #10
John Swanson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Hopper View Post
That's good for them. That allows them to upgrade facilities. I've seen one of the schools up in Minnesota and the program that they have.

I love how you all are griping because they don't want to let you have a piece of the pie!

At my high school, the kids don't pay a dime for summer workouts.
Actually our company raised over $15,000 to remodel my old high school. Im not in it for the money clearly. Im in it because I have seen these programs and have had kids tell me how they will go in and bench and then stand around for awhile and maybe squat and then hang out and leave. I started this thread because I wanna help the kids and coaches understand what good programming is.