CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 03-25-2008, 12:21 PM   #1
Jared Ashley

Profile:
How many of you ACTUALLY puke? (and how often)

I ask because I truly think when you do, you've just pushed too far. Your body is saying you just crossed the line and you need to quit. Now, I'm not saying I haven't been close... a couple of times REAL close. And I'm not saying that someone who crosses the puke line occasionally (say once every few weeks) is going to hurt themselves, but some people seem to think that if they don't hurl they didn't go hard enough... like it's some kind of badge of honor. It takes very little common sense to realize that's bad for your body.

Drinking till you puke is a great way to build up your alcohol tolerance in a hurry, but at what cost? Crossfitting till you puke seems no different.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:29 PM   #2
Matt Thomas

Profile:
Re: How many of you ACTUALLY puke? (and how often)

I've never puked. I would like to puke once though on a two mile PT run just because I think it takes quite a bit of mental strength to be willing to push that far. On a workout though I wouldn't ever really want to puke. I mean I put all that effort into eating a nice balanced meal before the workout. I'd hate for my hard work and all those calories to go to waste. I know it should be mostly digested, but still...
Old 03-25-2008, 12:37 PM   #3
Aaron Moburg-Jones

Profile:

Never, and I was a track athlete, crosscountry runner, and crossfitter. I don't think it has to do with not pushing yourself, we just have different responses to extreme stress on the body. I sometimes caugh uncontrollably after a hard workout. I would probably pass out or collapse before I got sick. I have felt like I was going to get sick (I did today, in fact) but never have.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:38 PM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Nope. Nor do I care to. Have come close though.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:41 PM   #5
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

I have pushed myself very very hard in the past, only puked once after a workout of high rep squats.

If you have been involved in high power metabolically crushing workouts at least on and off for some time the chance of puking is probably very small.

biggest chance for puking is a newb to metcon work. I remember football three a days from HS, every year several puked on the first day or two. Workouts got much harder after that but no one puked anymore.

part of it is common sense I would never voluntarily start a metcon after a big greasy meal, or a big meal period.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #6
Melissa Urban

Profile:

Thank you for asking this question.

Various friends and acquaintances know I've been doing CrossFit. A few of them have actually heard of it before. And those people always ask me, "So, have you puked yet?" And when I say no, they shake their heads, as if they think I haven't quite made it into the club.

For the record, I have zero interest in puking for any reason, including pushing myself in an excessive fashion at the gym.

I'll bang up my collarbone, I'll bleed from the hands, I'll bruise my shins so bad I can't wear a dress in public, all in the name of training. But I draw the line at throwing up.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:56 PM   #7
Sean Gregory

Profile:

Yes, but only after eating sugary or high GI food within a couple of hours before hand... was really bad during high school though, a bowl of vector before early morning track practice spells disaster.
Old 03-25-2008, 12:57 PM   #8
Joey Powell

Profile:

I don't think it is a sign of pushing past anything. Just is, what it is. I have and most of the time I can keep going and better than before. It just means you need to void your digestive tract. Some people need to crap as well. My fastest 2 mile time from the army happened when I slowed down to vomit at about 1 1/2 miles in. Threw the residue off and moved out.

Puking does seem to be effort based for me though. There is not much left in the effort catagory I could do to increase performance at that point. Heart rate is normally creeping into the upper 180s and low 190's for well over 15+ minutes before it would be necessary.

It normally happens on an empty stomach, so food has nothing to do with it.

My body does not get to tell my brain when to stop.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:03 PM   #9
Jake Di Vita

Profile:

Quote:
My body does not get to tell my brain when to stop.
I couldn't have put it any better. Yeah I've puked before, I'm sure I'll puke again. It happens infrequently, but it doesn't stop me from going as hard as I can.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #10
Derek Maffett

Profile:

I've puked in my mouth a little, but nothing serious. The first time I tried the Filthy Fifty, I really wanted to puke, but I didn't.