CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-20-2003, 06:40 AM   #1
David Heyer

Profile:
I am doing a 5 on 2 off schedule. Fasting on Saturday and feasting on Sunday! The rest of the week is mostly Paleo. Any helpful feedback?
Old 07-20-2003, 08:37 AM   #2
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Sonds pretty interesting! Keep us posted regarding the results.
Robb
Old 07-27-2003, 11:18 AM   #3
Janet Fisher

Profile:

Are you going to monitor your results chemically? I'm convinced that my fasting attempts in the 80s (during the health craze with all its fads) caused my hypoglycemia, and brought on hypothyroidism 20 years sooner than my father.

Actually, you might want to read in Natural Hormonal Enhancement about how cycling carb-load meals supports thyroid function. It's not quite fasting, but it's kind of protein fasting.
Old 07-27-2003, 06:11 PM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Janet-
I am guessing you experimented with extended fasts? The cyclical one day fast followed by "feast" as David describes above should not derange the metabolism as extended fasting tends to do.
Robb
Old 07-28-2003, 07:42 PM   #5
David Heyer

Profile:
Janet, Thanks for your concern. In no way will I ever do an extended fast. The one day a week is very do-able. I believe it has many positive effects both physically and psychologically. As far as my monitoring it, I'll stick to how I feel/perform/get along with the family. If I become a bear, I'll cheat some.
Diabetes runs in my family. I take my health and everything I put into my body seriously. That includes the air I breathe. If it causes problems with my health, I don't/won't do it.
Honestly, I believe nutrition should be simple. Eat what comes from God/nature, not man. Nobody will get rich selling a book on that.
Thanks for the reply
Dave

Old 07-29-2003, 10:41 AM   #6
Janet Fisher

Profile:

Cool attitude.
Yes, a few were extended fasts that never went more than 3 days, and most often never went more than 1 day or less (I had the discipline of a 2-year-old).
Old 07-29-2003, 01:49 PM   #7
David Heyer

Profile:
Janet,
I noticed you said you "had" the discipline of a 2 year old. I'm assuming that with your Crossfit training you now have the discipline of a Marine Corps Drill Sgt.
Is the hypoglycemia/hypothyroidism under control with the NHE diet and Crossfit training? Most people would probably give up and not push themselves to try and fix the problem. I'm glad to see you are not one of them!
The Diabetes and heart disease in my family scares me! It is my motivation to continue to work out hard and eat right. I still cheat a little, but I try to save the cheating for Sunday (my feast day). I'll eat pie, ice cream, or whatever after a big meal. I might even have a beer if I feel the desire. I use it as an incentive.
As far as my fast goes, I can usually go all day without a problem if I'm not too active. The hardest part is if others eat around me.
Train Hard
Dave