CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 01-14-2009, 05:36 PM   #1
Eric Kropp

Profile:
Rowing settings

What setting do you usually put your rower on? I usually have it at the 10th setting, but I just wanted to know if anyone does it differently.
Old 01-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #2
George Mounce

Profile:
Re: Rowing settings

5 as that simulates a sculler for the air density at my elevation. You'll find most people to simulate that type of boat use 3-5. You are doing more of a grandpa's row boat type of setting.
Old 01-14-2009, 07:40 PM   #3
Eric Kropp

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Mounce View Post
5 as that simulates a sculler for the air density at my elevation. You'll find most people to simulate that type of boat use 3-5. You are doing more of a grandpa's row boat type of setting.
By that do you mean the work isn't as intense? Cause if so I'll try a different setting
Old 01-14-2009, 07:51 PM   #4
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Kropp View Post
By that do you mean the work isn't as intense? Cause if so I'll try a different setting
Intensity in rowing is generally defined as your stroke rate in strokes per minute. The drag is the type of boat. You can row a sculler intensely or you can row a row boat intensely.
Old 01-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #5
Eric Kropp

Profile:

Alright thanks for the info, I think I'm going to try it on the 4th or 5th setting.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:12 PM   #6
Caz Berkowitz

Profile:

It's helped me to think of the C2 settings as the gears on a bike.

You can row intensely in 1st gear or in 10th. Some people will be more efficient at different length workouts at different gears.

So choose the gear suitable for your body and that day's row.
Old 01-15-2009, 03:57 PM   #7
Gabriel desGarennes

Profile:

First off a Disclaimer, i have had very little formal training with a c2 rower other than through my time in crossfit.

I personally row at the upper part of 5. I recommend that most of my clients start somewhere around 4-5 on the damper and get a feel for their specific sweet spot.

basically, you are doing the SAME amount of work if you row a 1:45 500m whether you have the damper set on 1 or 10 or anywhere in between. The difference is how much force is required to pull the chain, and thus how far that chain pushes your virtual boat.

I am under the impression that you want to find the damper setting that allows you the lowest time and the lowest strokes per minute.

I know alot of big guys who row at 10, and they pull fast times. But when they are done they are absolutely SMOKED and i can pull just about the same time, more efficiently at 5 and not be smoked.

You want to avoid having the damper too low, and thus having to do alot more strokes to get the same time.

just my .02, and like i said i'm hardly a rowing expert
Old 01-15-2009, 06:04 PM   #8
George Mounce

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel desGarennes View Post
First off a Disclaimer, i have had very little formal training with a c2 rower other than through my time in crossfit.

I personally row at the upper part of 5. I recommend that most of my clients start somewhere around 4-5 on the damper and get a feel for their specific sweet spot.

basically, you are doing the SAME amount of work if you row a 1:45 500m whether you have the damper set on 1 or 10 or anywhere in between. The difference is how much force is required to pull the chain, and thus how far that chain pushes your virtual boat.

I am under the impression that you want to find the damper setting that allows you the lowest time and the lowest strokes per minute.

I know alot of big guys who row at 10, and they pull fast times. But when they are done they are absolutely SMOKED and i can pull just about the same time, more efficiently at 5 and not be smoked.

You want to avoid having the damper too low, and thus having to do alot more strokes to get the same time.

just my .02, and like i said i'm hardly a rowing expert
Lowest isn't an exactly correct way of thinking about it. I posted a link to a study on strokes per minute at the elite level in Nancy Cohen's workout log that may be of interest to some.
Old 01-15-2009, 07:15 PM   #9
Karin Jonczak

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caz Berkowitz View Post
It's helped me to think of the C2 settings as the gears on a bike.

You can row intensely in 1st gear or in 10th. Some people will be more efficient at different length workouts at different gears.

So choose the gear suitable for your body and that day's row.
That is hands down the BEST explanation I have heard!!

KK

Old 01-23-2009, 08:31 PM   #10
John Scheer

Profile:

I row with the damper on 10 during a workout. I've found that it helps me slow down my stokes per minute while 'traveling' at a good pace.

At 10 I'm pulling 26 or 27 strokes per minute at about a 1.42/500m pace.

At 5-7 I pull more like 30-32 for the same pace, which seems to torch my lungs something fierce.

My usless two cents