CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-20-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Patrick Skinner

Profile:
Explain why the WOD is enough

Someone please link to or explain why the WOD is enough. My g/f does not believe it is enough to stay fit. I have tried to describe why it is enough to her with no luck.

Also at the crossfit gyms are people doing more than the WOD? If so what extra work is involved?
Old 11-20-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Lorenzo Inglese

Profile:
Re: Explain why the WOD is enough

I think that for someone who is not a competitive athlete, the WOD is enough. It takes time for people to accept this because traditional views on fitness place emphasis on long workouts. The classic "more is better" philosophy is at work here. The beauty of the WODs is that you can include them in programming for other sports such as Oly lifting, MMA, track, football.

I myself train at a much higher volume because:
A: I'm only 24 years old
B: Genetically I recover quickly from exercise
C: I want to be a better martial artist

My training included the main site WOD 4-5 days a week, 2-3 sprinting sessions, 4-5 boxing/MMA sessions, and additional stretching daily. Of course recovery must be taken into account and this is a personal thing with too many variables (sleep, diet, hydration, etc.)

The WODs are usually not long duration. However, the time actually being spend is of more value to an athlete because there is more more work done per unit of time than a lazy, multi-set routine. This is what causes the neuroendocrine response and it's the reason elite-level CrossFit athletes have great bodies that actually perform well.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #3
Andy Gann

Profile:

Go here WFS and download the free pdf ....
Old 11-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #4
Leonid Soubbotine

Profile:

It's like describing how it is to drive, but before you do it - you'll never understand.

Some things you just have to try.

"Cindy" usually answers such questions pretty fast.
Old 11-20-2008, 07:56 PM   #5
Bob Guere

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonid Soubbotine View Post
It's like describing how it is to drive, but before you do it - you'll never understand.

Some things you just have to try.

"Cindy" usually answers such questions pretty fast.
Good answer. Ditto.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:00 PM   #6
Brett Dartt

Profile:

like above said. has she actually tried it? do it 100% and she will have her own answer. it shouldnt be to hard for her to try if doesnt even seem like enough.

let us know what she thinks afterward
Old 11-20-2008, 08:03 PM   #7
Kurt Armbruster

Profile:

How about some annecdotal evidence:

I've been doing CrossFit since April. I started out fairly unconditioned.

The big question is; what is the goal?

If it's weight loss, I've knocked off around 20 lb since starting CrossFit, doing the WOD exclusively (including warm-up) and a few minor changes in diet (ie: no more pop/soda, changing snacks from chips to nuts, etc).

And in that time, my body shape (shoulders to waist) has gone from /\ to \/.

Regarding strength, I haven't done a CrossFit Total recently (on vacation when it came up) but In the first couple of months my score did go up by about 10%
Old 11-20-2008, 08:06 PM   #8
Jason David

Profile:

[quote=Patrick Skinner;451926]Someone please link to or explain why the WOD is enough. My g/f does not believe it is enough to stay fit. I have tried to describe why it is enough to her with no luck.

Also at the crossfit gyms are people doing more than the WOD? If so what extra work is involved?[/QUOTE]

Most do warmup and skill practice...Google "Nicole overhead Squat"
Show that to your g/f and tell her all she does is the WOD...See if she thinks Nicole is 'fit'?

Last edited by Jason David : 11-20-2008 at 08:12 PM.
Old 11-20-2008, 08:07 PM   #9
Harry Stine

Profile:

I'm not as experienced as some other posters who are much more knowledgeable, but I think I have a good way of reasoning this. What your g/f wants from 'fitness' might be a good starting point. I asked earlier and got answers from people on these boards who testify that they had gotten significantly stronger from just doing the WOD. The testimonials are full of individuals who report their weight loss/gain successes. I'm sure most will testify that they only did the WOD as far as training was concerned (diet was probably a major factor in most cases, of course). With cardiorespiratory endurance you can see the times people post for their pure running WODs. I think the majority fall around a 22:00 5k.

Naturally, you have a problem if she wants to be exceptionally good at one thing. If she wants to be a marathoner, the WOD (no one needs to be told) won't be enough. As someone who came from more of an endurance background, I've found it a bit disconcerting when they post 3 max effort days in a row. That turns into 5 straight days without breaking a sweat, which would put me on edge. Still, if the 22:00 5k is good enough for her...well, there you have it. If not, then crossfit endurance or (for the opposite purposes) MEBB.

Edit: I took too long writing. Kurt Armbruster has hit the nail on the head IMO.

Last edited by Harry Stine : 11-20-2008 at 08:11 PM. Reason: Giving credit where it is due.
Old 11-20-2008, 09:33 PM   #10
Brian Bedell

Profile:

I think a better question is "why is the wod TOO much for most people." She either has not tried it, or does not try or have the ability to workout at the intensity level you are supposed to.