CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 08-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #1
Amanda Clow

Profile:
Can my daily workout be adjusted for knees?

I'm thinking of becoming a crossfitter but my Dr. told me I can't run, kneel or squats (although I do do some) or put a lot of pressure on my knees due to some Arthritis. Are there any alternative exercises to due in place of running, kneelling or sqauting? Would I still get benefits from Crossfit without doing these types of exercises?

Thank you for your help,
Amanda
Old 08-25-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Shane Skowron

Profile:
Re: Can my daily workout be adjusted for knees?

http://www.board.crossfit.com/showthread.php?t=36028
wfs

Check that out. Exactly what you're looking for.

And yes CF can get you in excellent shape even if you can't put pressure on your knee.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:16 PM   #3
Kevin Carpenter

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Clow View Post
I'm thinking of becoming a crossfitter but my Dr. told me I can't run, kneel or squats (although I do do some) or put a lot of pressure on my knees due to some Arthritis. Are there any alternative exercises to due in place of running, kneelling or sqauting? Would I still get benefits from Crossfit without doing these types of exercises?

Thank you for your help,
Amanda
Hey Amanda,

Welcome to Crossfit. I hope you find the community enjoyable and challenging.

How long have you had arthritis? How was it diagnosed? Have you had a second opinion? Whenever I hear that a dr. won't allow someone to run, do squats (or really anything else) I get worried. Running properly won't hurt your knees and squating properly will actually help your knees. Doctors don't always know what they're talking about.
Old 08-25-2008, 05:32 PM   #4
Leslie Powell

Profile:

I'd try to see a doctor with experience treating athletes/active people and see what they have to say.

It's very easy for a doctor to say don't squat...nobody ever got in trouble for giving that medical opinion. Assuming that you plan to sit down and stand up in the future, you'll be going against his advice anyway.

It's good to be able to run (comes in handy in real life) but rowing can be subbed for running in most WOD's, and doesn't involve impact. I can't call to mind any WOD's that involve kneeling.
Old 08-25-2008, 06:19 PM   #5
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Powell View Post
I can't call to mind any WOD's that involve kneeling.
Actually, "Angie" usually has me on my knees after the last squat, begging that the lactic acid soon subside and that I will be able to stand back up.
Old 08-25-2008, 09:09 PM   #6
James Besenyei

Profile:

Amanda, welcome! Doctors are very well intentioned professionals for the most part. With that said, when it comes to exercise and movement in general they're often far too conservative. Barring an unforeseeable accident you will continue to walk, squat, and kneel for the rest of your life one way or the other. Strength training is great for Arthritis patients and can help you to lead a less painful and more enjoyable life. Check out this great article from Clarence Bass on the subject (WFS link): http://cbass.com/Arthritis.htm.

CF may or may not be right for you at this juncture in your training. In my humble opinion you should concentrate on reducing pain through weight training (which can include many of the WOD's from the main page, albeit it somewhat modified) before jumping right into CF full bore. If you have the time, money, and desire checking out a CF affiliate may be a good idea. I'm sure they would be more than willing to design a program for you based upon your special needs. Just make sure that you find the right affiliate so that your experience of CF is not tainted by an overzealous or under-experienced trainer. Also, try to find a different doc. Maybe a sports med doc or someone who is more aggressive in treating arthritis in non-pharmacological ways. With those qualifiers, go for it.
Old 08-26-2008, 09:26 AM   #7
Matt DeMinico

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amanda Clow View Post

Thank you for your help,
Amanda
Not squatting (or doing any exercises that involve proper use of your knees) is usually a good way to lose function of that joint later in life. Your body works on a minimalistic plan, if it doesn't need 250 lbs of lean mass, it won't build it, because that's incredibly expensive (biologically, as well as on your wallet) to maintain. Same goes for your joints, bones, eyes, whatever. If you don't use it, you will lose it.

While it depends what's wrong with your knee(s), in most cases (maybe in yours, maybe not), I believe that not using them properly will cause them to get worse and worse. Basically, what happens is this: let's say you've got a chronic problem (joint pain). If it were an acute injury caused by falling or something like that, you'd baby it a little till it got better, but still use it. But if you've got chronic joint pain, it is obviously not going away on its own, and needs intervention. Babying it will result in it getting slowly worse. So what you would do is stress it just a little bit, let it recover, stress it a little more, let it recover, etc... basically stressing it barely more than it's used to so it has to fix itself and get better (the same thing we do with strength, etc training).

Like I said, this may or may not apply in your case, but I think doctors are way wrong when they tell every Tom, Dick, and Harry that if something gives them pain, stop doing it. They never fix the problem, just avoid it, and cause more in the long run.