CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-05-2008, 06:58 PM   #1
Ezequiel Martinez Vazquez

Profile:
Heart rate

I know the CF crowd is not a fan of HR measurements, but I was wondering today whatīs the usual range when doing METCON workouts. I donīt have a monitor or anything, just the good olī "count ten seconds worth of beats and multiply by 6".

I constantly find myself in the 180 range; more than that and I really feel I need to slow down a bit (I have a bicusp aortic valve...healthy and everything but still an issue). So, whatīt your usual HR when doing METCON workouts?
Old 05-05-2008, 07:07 PM   #2
Derek Maffett

Profile:
Re: Heart rate

High. If I had the money for a decent HR monitor, I would be buying a decent pair of o-lifting shoes.
Old 05-06-2008, 01:49 AM   #3
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Pretty high, at least 180 bpm. About what's consistent with an anaerobic state, I think.
Old 05-06-2008, 04:37 AM   #4
Steven Low

Profile:

Anaerobic? More like... insanely aerobic if your pulse gets that high. Usually an anaerobic pulse such as doing something like heavy lifting is markedly lower.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:08 AM   #5
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

I broke 200 wearing a monitor during Fran. According to the usual formula my max HR is 175. When I do a met-con for real I can't count my pulse I am too shaky, can't think straight and breathing too hard.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:41 AM   #6
Randy Tarasevich

Profile:

I've heard many people say around the 200 range, if not higher.
Old 05-06-2008, 06:58 AM   #7
Eric Machus

Profile:

I think I'm with Casey on anaerobic versus aerobic.

I know aerobic is associated with cardio vascular training and anaerobic with lifting type stuff but my understanding of aerobic is you are using oxygen and fat primarily for energy and trying to avoid the use of glycogen as much as possible. Anaerobic is basically burning glycogen without much use of oxygen or fat.

Thus, if you push too hard/with too high a heart rate running long-distance (i.e. marathon) or Iron Man you bonk because you run out of glycogen. If you maintain an aerobic heart rate you don't bonk because you conserve/don't run out of glycogen because you continue to use fat and oxygen as fuel, sort of crowding out or reducing glycogen use.

Not a fitness guru by any means by I am a runner and I think that is directionally/generically accurate. At least that is my $0.02 and I'm sticking to it

A lot running/endurance science/training really revolves around this stuff, elevating lactate thresholds and achieving VO2 maxes. Lots of blood chemistry analysis, pre/post/during workouts.

I am sure we must have some competitive runners on here who can comment more authoritatively.

That said I think training with or being able to maintain high work/hr rates makes you stronger and that is a big part why crossfit is effective.
Old 05-06-2008, 11:34 AM   #8
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Machus View Post
I think I'm with Casey on anaerobic versus aerobic.

I know aerobic is associated with cardio vascular training and anaerobic with lifting type stuff but my understanding of aerobic is you are using oxygen and fat primarily for energy and trying to avoid the use of glycogen as much as possible. Anaerobic is basically burning glycogen without much use of oxygen or fat.

Aerobic just means oxidative phosphorylation. It does not prohibit glycogen use. Something can be BOTH anaerobic and aerobic at the same time... drawing from the same energy pathways. Like 400, 800 and 1600m races.

CF metcons work ALL pathways heavily... which is the point of metcons... work all pathways well so you can do well at any modality. Hence, fitness.

Thus, if you push too hard/with too high a heart rate running long-distance (i.e. marathon) or Iron Man you bonk because you run out of glycogen. If you maintain an aerobic heart rate you don't bonk because you conserve/don't run out of glycogen because you continue to use fat and oxygen as fuel, sort of crowding out or reducing glycogen use.

No. Aerobic does not necessarily mean 60% VO2max in "fat burn zone" or 80% VO2max for "aerobic training." Typical fitness industry myth.

Not a fitness guru by any means by I am a runner and I think that is directionally/generically accurate. At least that is my $0.02 and I'm sticking to it

You have a lot to learn...

A lot running/endurance science/training really revolves around this stuff, elevating lactate thresholds and achieving VO2 maxes. Lots of blood chemistry analysis, pre/post/during workouts.

Well, it depends on what you're talking about. If you're looking for something sustainable for a run you obviously don't want to deplete your glycogen unless you're near the end of your race. On the other hand, elevating lactate and VO2max thresholds will allow higher speeds without depleting glycogen... so that's where distance stuff falls under.

However, CF itself it generally not about distance so.. kind of useless unless you just want to have a nice jog on a rest day.

I am sure we must have some competitive runners on here who can comment more authoritatively.

That said I think training with or being able to maintain high work/hr rates makes you stronger and that is a big part why crossfit is effective.
Indeed.
Old 05-06-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Casey Raiford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Low View Post
Anaerobic? More like... insanely aerobic if your pulse gets that high. Usually an anaerobic pulse such as doing something like heavy lifting is markedly lower.
Okay I'm clearly misunderstanding something here. I read the subsequent posts, and frankly the physiology is over my head. I'll drive down to Silver Spring and give you a dollar if you'll dumb that down into military layman's terms.

Old 05-06-2008, 01:09 PM   #10
Steven Low

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Raiford View Post
Okay I'm clearly misunderstanding something here. I read the subsequent posts, and frankly the physiology is over my head. I'll drive down to Silver Spring and give you a dollar if you'll dumb that down into military layman's terms.

lol.

Basically, resistance training (aka purely anaerobic work) compared to something like metcon (most of CF's girls) will have a lower pulse rate by far.

The increased blood flow (higher heart rate) to compensate for fueling the muscles with oxygen and other nutrients isn't required for purely anaerobic work unless it's something slightly sustained at max effort for a burst like sprinting 100m.

I hope that was more clear.