CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 02-04-2008, 08:33 PM   #61
Jonathan Greene

Profile:
Re: A gallon of milk?

It will work for your if your intention is to grow and assist yourself in getting stronger.

The recommendation is to drink the gallon of milk in addition to your regular food consumption, which should be comprised of wholesome food such as meats, eggs, vegetables, fruit, and nuts.

You will not "get fat" if you are sticking to the program and eating as described above.

Last edited by Jonathan Greene : 02-04-2008 at 08:37 PM.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:48 PM   #62
Jacob Vohs

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan Greene View Post
It will work for your if your intention is to grow and assist yourself in getting stronger.

The recommendation is to drink the gallon of milk in addition to your regular food consumption, which should be comprised of wholesome food such as meats, eggs, vegetables, fruit, and nuts.

You will not "get fat" if you are sticking to the program and eating as described above.
I plan on following a 17 block Zone diet plan with 1 gallon of whole milk a day. I will be having meats, eggs, fruit, and nuts; but no vegetables for the most part. I really don't like any vegetables at all.
Old 02-04-2008, 09:37 PM   #63
Derek Heinonen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Vohs View Post
So does Rippetoe recommend 1 gallon of whole milk a day on top of the regular 2000-3000 calorie diet or is the 1 gallon of whole milk included in that? I'm 155 lbs., 5'7", and around 15% bodyfat. I have weight lifted for 2 years now but am just starting Starting Strength and really getting my form down on all my lifts now. Does this gallon of whole milk a day sound like it would work for me? I'm not lactose intolerant and I like milk. However, I don't want to get fat doing this either.
On top of your regular diet.

A gallon of milk has 2400 calories alone.

So, yes. Eat your regular diet. Supplement with a gallon of the good stuff.

How old are you?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:31 AM   #64
Craig Van De Walker

Profile:

YES I did it

Yes it works!

Send me an email if you have specific questions
Old 02-05-2008, 08:46 AM   #65
Mark Konecny

Profile:

Hey,

Milk is the key to muscle growth in my opinion. Think about this; one cup (250 ml) of skim milk has approx 9 grams of protien, if you drink even a 4 cups (1 L) a day which isn't that much if you drink a regular sized glass with three meals a day you would be getting and extra 36 grams of protein that you would have to get else where. The protein that comes from milk (whey) is the most complete form of protein that you can consume, and some of the most cost efficent when compaired to meats, nuts, etc.
I find it odd that people will mix protein supplements with water, if you put it in skim milk it will dissolve just as easily and add even more protein to the mixture.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:51 AM   #66
Brad Davis

Profile:

I skimmed the thread and didn't see mention of one important item. I'll risk stating the obvious.

The gallon of milk plan is only intended for very skinny and preferably young people who need to gain weight. Over at his forum, Rippetoe answered a question about this program recently from a fellow who was a little older (35?) and Rippetoe advised him that he'd just get fat if he followed the gallon of milk program. I can easily see someone like that drinking a gallon of milk/day for a month and gaining 15 lb of fat and 1 lb of muscle.
Old 02-05-2008, 09:11 AM   #67
Adam Head

Profile:

Hmmm. I can't believe this has gone on as long as it has. (Or that I read as much as I did)

Anyway, for all of you questioning the weight gain as to whether or not it's purely fat, purely muscle, a little both. . . If you start out at 15% body fat, put on 25# of weight and your bf% doesn't change, thats great. But that doesn't mean you added 25# of muscle. You had to have added fat also. If you didn't, your BF% would be lower than when you started. So, to get back to the opening question, of course Brendan put on some body fat also. That 28 pounds isn't purely muscle. But if his bf% stayed pretty close to what is was before he started, he did an amazing job of gaining mass in 6 weeks. (Although, who wouldn't lifting with Coach Rip everyday for 6 weeks!)
Old 02-05-2008, 01:00 PM   #68
Jonathan Greene

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Davis View Post
I skimmed the thread and didn't see mention of one important item. I'll risk stating the obvious.

The gallon of milk plan is only intended for very skinny and preferably young people who need to gain weight. Over at his forum, Rippetoe answered a question about this program recently from a fellow who was a little older (35?) and Rippetoe advised him that he'd just get fat if he followed the gallon of milk program. I can easily see someone like that drinking a gallon of milk/day for a month and gaining 15 lb of fat and 1 lb of muscle.
That is not exactly what was said.

To quote Rip -

"Older adults using milk for weight gain may find that they get a little chubby on this program. This is because as growth hormone and testosterone levels diminish with age, the ability to easily build muscle on a heavy training program diminishes as well. This means that less of the nutritional input can be converted to muscle in response to stress, and consequently more fat will be deposited.

This is rotten, ****ty fact. I personally am offended every time I contemplate this. But the fact remains that older lifters cannot grow as efficiently in response to training as younger lifters can because of their inability to recover, and the efficient conversion of nutrition to muscle is a major factor in recovery."

Getting a "little chubby" and gaining 15lbs of fat with only 1lb of muscle are two very different things in my book.

The way I see it is if you are in your 30's or beyond and want to try the SS program you do have an option. Give the routine a try and keep a sharp eye on your body composition. If your bodyfat % starts to climb higher and faster than you can live with, back off on the milk until you are happy. You will progress slower but that is a compromise to be balanced by you.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:08 PM   #69
Ryan Blair

Profile:

I started Rip's program 2 weeks ago. I'm drinking a gallon of whole Horizon organic milk(from walmart) a day. I'm 33 15% BF, so I asked Rip on the forum if I should drink the milk or not. He said to stick with the proven method.
I'm also lactose intolerant, I'm taking a product called digestive advantage, I also got at Walmart, it's 1 pill a day which is easy and I haven't exploded yet - if you know what I mean.

I'm eating paleo zone, but I did drop some of the other fat intake and cut my other carbs in half. I usually skip my last 2 block snack as well.

I seem a bit more plump using the pinch test. I've put on 6 and 1/2 lbs in 15 days. I have already broken my 5 rep max on squat and deadlift, and am about to pass it on all other lifts. 2 WEEKS ago my 5 R M on squat was 225, tomorrow I'll do 275 3 sets of 5 and shouldn't have a problem based on Monday's sets w 265. I'll pull 1 set of 5 with 305 on DL on Fri, my previous best was 270 for 5.

Don't over analyze - just give it 6 weeks.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:21 PM   #70
Derek Weaver

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacob Vohs View Post
I plan on following a 17 block Zone diet plan with 1 gallon of whole milk a day. I will be having meats, eggs, fruit, and nuts; but no vegetables for the most part. I really don't like any vegetables at all.
I hate to sound like your mother, but EAT YOUR VEGETABLES. Learn how to eat them. Douse them with olive oil, some vinegar and maybe ever a little grated parmesan. Whatever it takes to get them down.

Especially when following a lifting and eating program like this getting enough fiber and phytonutrients is crucial.

Rant over. Sorry for the lecture.