CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-14-2007, 10:43 AM   #31
Garrett Smith

Profile:
Re: A gallon of milk?

I don't think Rip was referring to raw milk either (I do not have SS either). I am pretty sure that back when the books were originally being written on 20-rep squats and a gallon of milk a day that raw milk was either the standard or that it was easily obtainable (as opposed to now).

Once the primary goal becomes mass gain, other goals (including health) have to fall lower on the list. In my professional opinion, a gallon of grain-fed, homogenized, pasteurized, non-organic milk (don't forget the phthalates in the plastic milk jugs!) is not serving one's health in a long-term positive manner at all. The acne breakouts already mentioned would be a sign that the milk is not improving health.

FYI, last time we spoke via email, Kelly Moore was definitely doing significant amounts of raw cow milk and raw kefir on a daily basis. She tears up CF workouts, take it FWIW.
Old 11-14-2007, 10:46 AM   #32
David Wallach

Profile:

First law of thermodynamics applied with some sanity and it really doesnt matter the increase medium, as long as the macros are right... the most important variable is recovery.

You CAN do two-a-days or more at supra maximal loads and crush the assumed limits if you can also eat 7k a day of perfect/clean cals and sleep for 12-15 hours ED...
Old 11-27-2007, 10:01 AM   #33
John Edmondson

Profile:

Thought I'd chime in with a testimonial. I'm twelve days into the "Gallon of milk/day Challenge." One gallon of whole milk on top of my usual 17-18 Zone blocks. BW starting: 172, this morning: 181. BF has increased by 1% according to body comp scale, for what it's worth. The mirror shows little to no blurring of abs though. I'm noticably filling out my shirts better, but the biggest difference is in strength. My Black Box poundages are increasing much more quickly than before. Haven't noticed any ill effects like acne, etc., though the first few days were pretty rough on the GI. Overall, I'm pleased with the results so far and will probably continue for another couple of weeks and then reassess. If you're a typical hardgainer like me, you might give it a try. My $0.02
Old 11-27-2007, 10:10 AM   #34
Gant Grimes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garrett Smith View Post
I don't think Rip was referring to raw milk either (I do not have SS either). I am pretty sure that back when the books were originally being written on 20-rep squats and a gallon of milk a day that raw milk was either the standard or that it was easily obtainable (as opposed to now).

Once the primary goal becomes mass gain, other goals (including health) have to fall lower on the list. In my professional opinion, a gallon of grain-fed, homogenized, pasteurized, non-organic milk (don't forget the phthalates in the plastic milk jugs!) is not serving one's health in a long-term positive manner at all. The acne breakouts already mentioned would be a sign that the milk is not improving health.

FYI, last time we spoke via email, Kelly Moore was definitely doing significant amounts of raw cow milk and raw kefir on a daily basis. She tears up CF workouts, take it FWIW.
Rip was definitely not referring to raw milk.

Dr. G, I love your advice and have learned a lot from you. But you've taken my nightshades, and you're coming for my dairy. If you touch my steak, we're going to fight, sir!
Old 11-27-2007, 12:54 PM   #35
Susie Rosenberg

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gant Grimes View Post
Rip was definitely not referring to raw milk.

Dr. G, I love your advice and have learned a lot from you. But you've taken my nightshades, and you're coming for my dairy. If you touch my steak, we're going to fight, sir!
Right.

In the approximately 4-5 months I've been hanging out here I have:

1. Stopped eating bread and pasta.
2. Stopped eating grains all together.
3. Stopped eating white potatoes.
4. Started eating meat. (I was a vegetarian!)
5. Stopped eating supermarket meat...now I have to go to the farm and see the animals eating the damned grass for myself!
6. Stopped eating nightshades (as of yesterday, thanks to Dr. G. and my joint pain.)
7. Stopped eating dairy. (except for my ice cream binge yesterday, courtesy of the Breyers every night thread.)

What's next?????

Susie
Old 11-27-2007, 01:15 PM   #36
Brandon Oto

Profile:

Legumes, and of course your non-Zone-favorable fruits and veggies, like carrots, peas, and kiwis.

Oh, and water and plastic containers.

And cell phones.

And children.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:16 PM   #37
Jan Bester

Profile:

excuse the noobness, but what exactly is a nightcap? Searched, but could not find an answer..

thanks..
Old 11-27-2007, 01:48 PM   #38
Jay Cohen

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Bester View Post
excuse the noobness, but what exactly is a nightcap? Searched, but could not find an answer..

thanks..
Try Nightshade.

Nightcap is what one might have after reading/posting on the CF boards for toooo long a period.
Old 11-27-2007, 03:38 PM   #39
Patrick Donnelly

Profile:

Re: Jan
The term "nightshades" refers to a group of plants that include peppers, eggplants, and tomatoes. They contain some chemicals that can cause joint pain in people who are sensitive to them. Sadly, I can't remember exactly what it is in them, but that's enough info to get you started on more research if you're interested.

Re: John
See this T-Nation article about bulking up too fast:
http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle....dra?id=1268956
(The article itself is work/family safe, but that images in the borders of the site are often not.)
Old 11-27-2007, 09:14 PM   #40
Casey Williams

Profile:

Im surprised nobody has mentioned coconut milk...why not consume alot of coconut milk instead of regular milk....thats giving you alot of calories from a healthy source.