CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-12-2007, 08:23 PM   #11
Steve Liberati

Profile:
Re: A gallon of milk?

I would seriousily question the quality of the weight gain by drinking a gallon of milk a day. Are we talking quality muscle and little fat or just whatever (28 lbs is 28 lbs so I'll take it!").

Personally, I would turn into a fat cow if I took that advice.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:22 PM   #12
Derek Heinonen

Profile:

I'm doing the gallon of milk thing per Rip's advice (started 6'0, 145, currently 150 now, a week later).

If I turn into a cow, I'll let you guys know. But I sincerely doubt Rip would advocate something that produced silly results like that.

-D
Old 11-12-2007, 11:45 PM   #13
Oliver Gould

Profile:

I'm on a 1/2 gallon of whole milk a day milk in addition to 20 zone blocks and 10 additional fat blocks. Seeing a definate increase in strength and 4 pounds of weight gain so far. It's hard to know how much of a difference the milk is making since I started the milk and the zone at around the same time. Previous to that I was on a basic healthy diet with lots of protien and 2 supplement shakes a day, now with the zone and milk I feel a lot better. Your digestive system gets used to the milk after a few days, at least mine did. My workout schedule is 5 days on 2 days off of crossfit, days 2,4 and 5 also include 1-1/2 or 2 hours of live training jiujitsu.
Old 11-12-2007, 11:55 PM   #14
John Edmondson

Profile:

To those who are trying or have tried this: skim milk, 2%, whole?
Old 11-13-2007, 06:20 AM   #15
Garrett Smith

Profile:

When I have patients who need to gain weight and don't have apparent dairy problems, sometimes I will have them get on raw goat's milk.

Raw milk has more of the good stuff in it, goat's milk is easier to digest than cow's.

There is a store a half mile from my office that sells it.
Old 11-13-2007, 07:11 AM   #16
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Edmondson View Post
I saw something on comments about Brendan Gilliam gaining 28 pounds in a month
28 pounds is extreme for one month, but the "gallon of milk per day" works because it's easy to drink and fairly cheap.
Old 11-13-2007, 08:25 AM   #17
Kevin Hughes

Profile:

My 16yr. old son started drinking a gallon a day about 3 or 4 weeks ago. He was apprehensive because it represented a serious breach of our paleo lifestyle. But he was training hard and he felt it was worth trying. He has noticed a few things... 3-4 lb. weight gain, more frequent acne, unfortunately, a reduced appetite, huge gains in strength. He has adde 5 lbs to his deadlift weight every workout, as suggested in Starting Strength, and his squat strenght has gone up each workout also.

The question of course, is how much of his progress can be attributed to the milk, and how much to the hard training? We'll know in a month or so because he's going to cut down on the milk.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:42 AM   #18
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Edmondson View Post
I saw something on comments about Brendan Gilliam gaining 28 pounds in a month and a half drinking a gallon of milk a day on top of his regular Zone diet. I know Rippetoe advocates this approach with younger athletes in Starting Strength, but I've never actually heard of anyone trying it. Does anyone have experience with this? Thoughts?
He advocates this because most young atheletes aren't going to eat 4000 calories a day in solid food. So if they eat 2000 cal and drink a gallon of milk they are almost there. I don't think that drinking a gallon of milk is as important as the extra protein/fat/calories that come from it. It could be X amount of Y as long as you are still getting the calories from it. Milk is really nutrient dense and also convenient. I don't know a lot af 16 year olds who will grill 4 lb of chicken breast at a time so they have food for the next 2 days. If you can get all those calories in the form of solid food or a shake, then do it.
Old 11-13-2007, 09:45 AM   #19
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefan Geertsen View Post
Yup. I heard something like we can gain a maximum of 2lbs(muscle) per month if we do everything correctly.
Lots of naturals I know (myself included) will call BS on this. 2lbs for who? A 160lb 20 year old, 180lb 16 year old, someone who eats 5000 cal a day, someone who eats 2000 cal a day...too many variables and I didn't even get into training methods. Blanket statements like that should be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 11-13-2007, 10:41 AM   #20
Kevin Roddy

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Cruz View Post
Kevin,

Have you tried Raw milk yet? The Lactate present in the Raw milk allows alot of lactose intolerant folks to drink milk. I am trying to convince my lactose intolerant wife to let me experiment with her and raw milk so I can see for myself. No dice so far, however.

Raw milk is illegal here in MI, unfortunately. I'd love to try it though. Someday, when I move out of this crap state, haha.