CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 05-21-2009, 04:24 AM   #1
Yahya Kohgadai

Profile:
2 workouts per day: 1 for a WOD and 1 for "practice"?

So I'd like to work on certain things which need lots of work either because I haven't learned the form yet, I can't do more than a few reps or I just can't do it at all.

For example, my squat numbers are really low. [135 for reps is tough for me]. But I know that by squatting three times per week, I can definitely get my strength up fairly quickly. This wouldn't be a problem since I could just do 3 sets of squats on Mon, Wed and Fri before my WODs.

But the problem is that there are quite a few exercises that I need to work on.. Deadlift [my 1rm would barely be 225]
Cleans [have yet to even do cleans from the floor so I've go to learn]
Muscle Ups [the last time I tried, I was only able to do about one]
Ring Dips, HSPU, etc...

I also would like to improve my strict for pull ups as well since I can only do about 7 right now.

So, what do I do? Do I find a bunch of WODs that each have a little of what I'm looking for and cycle them out? Or would I have two sessions for example, an afternoon workout for the WOD and an evening "skill practice" session???

BTW, I'm only a bit over a week into crossfit... I've done about 4 WODs so far.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:39 AM   #2
Dan Morgan

Profile:
Re: 2 workouts per day: 1 for a WOD and 1 for "practice"?

Sounds to me like you just need to carry on doing crossfit, probably mainsite or an affiliate's programming, and that will iron out your weaknesses for you. Like you said, you've only done 4 WODs. Give it a month or two and I guarantee you will see an improvement in all of your numbers.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
Brian Bedell

Profile:

Hey, slow down! lol You're doing fine, one MU is better then a lot of people! I think a lot of people have the issue that CF makes them realize that they/we are bad at so many things that we want to work on them ALL. I would work some of those things into my warmup; pullups, rdips, hspu. And get some good instruction so that you don't learn bad habits on the basic lifts; squat, DL, clean. Work on the "9 foundational movements first," and go from there. I would hold off on the clean until after your DL form is great. IMO
Old 05-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #4
Thomas Kelley

Profile:

here's how we do it, I'm sure there's a lot of ways that work but my coaches are awesome so mostly I just do what they say.

Every week we have a warmup routine, this is mostly to get loose and practice a little skill work (we don't really use the standard CFWU, it varies each week).

Then we have a skills session for maybe 20 minutes, we don't push it hard but we focus on technique. This is where having a live coach is helpful, and I'm glad I have that opportunity.

Then we do the WOD.

After the WOD, we may have a light cool down session session also, which usually has a skills component (or we just stretch on our own, or lie comatose).

So we have 3 skills sessions in one class, along with the WOD. I've only been doing CF for 3 months, but I think the specific skills work has helped me in ways that only doing the WOD wouldn't. Everyone is different, I love doing the skills work, but I'm sure some people would be glad to skip it and get on with the "real work" of the WOD.
Old 05-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #5
Steven Low

Profile:

Do you skill practice before your WODs.

If you're going to do two sessions, then break it down into

couple skills, one or two strength lifts
couple skills, metcon/CF

HOWEVER, be forewarned that your body may not be able to handle such volume at first.....

Start out with an extra maybe 1-2 days like this a week. See how you FEEL. If you can handle it maybe add another... then if you still feel fine then perhaps add another.

I really hope your recovery is good (sleep, low stress, quality diet, etc.)
Old 05-22-2009, 08:27 AM   #6
Tim Crawford

Profile:

When I was starting out, I used the rest day as my "skills" day, going to the gym and using a broom handle, PVC pipe, or maybe just the OLY bar to learn lifts and form. I still have a hard time with some of the Oly lifts. I also would concentrate on something like the OHS during my warm-ups, as that part is real weak for me, I have a hard time with keeping "active" shoulders or not falling forward in doing the movement. But working with a coach will pay off the most in the shortest amount of time.
Old 05-22-2009, 09:41 AM   #7
Thomas Baker

Profile:

Agree with everything here but I stress to "not do too much" in the beggining. Rest is crucial as you'll be working out muscles that you never have before.
Old 05-22-2009, 11:21 AM   #8
michael Galietta

Profile:

In my personal experience I did not add extra work till week 18 of CF as it took me that long to adjust to things...
Old 05-24-2009, 01:50 PM   #9
Tim Crawford

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael Galietta View Post
In my personal experience I did not add extra work till week 18 of CF as it took me that long to adjust to things...

You adjusted??
Old 05-24-2009, 11:24 PM   #10
michael Galietta

Profile:

I guess you can call it that...from going from a quivering hallucinating ball of pain to at least I can now tie my shoes after a WOD without assistance.