CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-23-2013, 09:38 PM   #11
Joe Spinelli

Profile:
Re: Lack of Motivation

/\ amazing post! Thanks for reminding us of the people on the other end!
Old 09-24-2013, 11:30 AM   #12
Namir Yedid

Profile:

I'm all for the folks here encouraging you to drag yourself out and go for it. But it strikes me that if you have social anxiety and potentially other psych/emotional issues, those may be a big hurdle in your path. I'm a big believer in the power of therapy and even psychiatric meds if the medical professionals you see deem them necessary. You wouldn't try to "tough out" pneumonia, and if you have underlying depression (which is often comorbid with anxiety) it can be really hard to get going and keep that motivation. Meds don't make you "happy," they make you able to deal with your underlying issues.

I also don't want to get into anything uncomfortable here, but there are questions around your weight and the emotional/physical conditions that may have gotten you there. It sounds like you've struggled with weight for a long time (you've described yo-yoing up and down in pretty significant ways) and that can be about a lot of things. Of course eating is emotional for a lot of people, and if you haven't done some work in therapy it might be helpful, in addition to an evaluation to determine if psychiatric care (for depression/anxiety) is for you. Obviously that's far outside the scope of this forum, but you used the language around anxiety and it occurs to me that the weight and those emotional issues may be related.

Also, sometimes depression/anxiety can be related to hormone imbalances besides your neurotransmitters. For example, low testosterone can lead to depression, and because your hormones are interlinked, other hormones can affect your mood quite profoundly. Getting a full workup from your doctor, including bloodwork (with full hormone and metabolic panels) and a physical, may yield some clues about why you're struggling both with weight and depression/anxiety.

It's tough to confront your weaknesses and admit that you may need help. I admire you for taking these steps and just want to encourage you to consider that the challenges you've got may be more than just the normal difficulty of getting back in shape. I'd hope that you can play on a level field, and getting some medical/psychiatric help may get you started.
Old 09-24-2013, 12:35 PM   #13
Nik Nichols

Profile:

WFS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJf4USdb8lg

one of my favorite videos.

You have to find it in yourself. Focus on the smaller steps. Like just going in is a reachable goal. Make that the goal this week. and make the week a goal.

You gotta drop the pride, pride gets ''you'' hurt. Do what you CAN do, not what you ''think'' you should do, or try to impress others or coaches. Pushing to injury just sets you back.

For me, it is way better to see some one make a smaller sucess like you making a week. Then seeing a 300lbs clean and jerk. Now don't get me wrong there, it is cool and a great feat and takes alot of skill and dedication. but seeing some one get that first pullup (again) is SUCH a rush to be apart of. Think positive. Think ''I will go in''. And let it be what it is.
Old 09-24-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Chad Ashton

Profile:

Here's another...

wfs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...oVEaDA&index=1

If this guy can make himself better, anyone can. I watch this whenever I feel like stopping and it gets me going again.
Old 09-26-2013, 04:47 PM   #15
Jeff Higgins

Profile:

Thanks so much for the positive replies. I hadn't realized anyone had posted to this thread, so I'm just seeing it now.

It's a week in, and it's getting easier. The muscles are rebelling, but aren't yelling as loud. I realize that everyone I talk to at my box is incredibly friendly, way more than I thought they'd be with someone in my shape. I've got a trainer that I love, although I've kind of been playing the field, seeing which days and times work best for me.

So far since I'm out of my first week, I only have two sessions a week. I miss it. I feel like I'm taking it too easy, and plus I know I can do more. I'm going to switch my signup for maybe 3 for now, then once I'm used to that, go to unlimited.

Namir, as far as my mental issues, I'm definitely being treated for all those. The only reason I can get out of bed in the morning is medication. Doesn't make me a zombie, doesn't do the work for me, just gives me the little something that makes me care how my life turns out. And yes, absolutely, food and emotions are horribly intertwined. Who knows if I'll ever get that worked out, but I'm working on it.

Looking down is great advice. Don't look at 215, look at pants sizes, being able to do warmups without calling an ambulance, things like that...Those are my immediate goals, and I try all the time not to worry about how long the road is.

Confucius was right, single step.

I'm still scared as sh*t every time I drive up, but I know I'd rather be scared than feel guilty for not going.

Watch out ladies, here I come. LOL
Old 09-26-2013, 05:09 PM   #16
Jeff Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nik Nichols View Post
WFS http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJf4USdb8lg

one of my favorite videos.

You have to find it in yourself. Focus on the smaller steps. Like just going in is a reachable goal. Make that the goal this week. and make the week a goal.

You gotta drop the pride, pride gets ''you'' hurt. Do what you CAN do, not what you ''think'' you should do, or try to impress others or coaches. Pushing to injury just sets you back.

For me, it is way better to see some one make a smaller sucess like you making a week. Then seeing a 300lbs clean and jerk. Now don't get me wrong there, it is cool and a great feat and takes alot of skill and dedication. but seeing some one get that first pullup (again) is SUCH a rush to be apart of. Think positive. Think ''I will go in''. And let it be what it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Ashton View Post
Here's another...

wfs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qX9FS...oVEaDA&index=1

If this guy can make himself better, anyone can. I watch this whenever I feel like stopping and it gets me going again.
I watched both videos, thanks guys.

Both are motivational in different ways, and both are saved.

I swear watching that guy's transformation almost brought tears to my eyes (I wouldn't admit it if it actually did ). Amazing, and that guy has balls of steel to go from where he was, given up, a huge shell of his former self, to where he's at now?

Amazing. I know what people mean when they say if he can do it, anyone can, but that's just not true (IMO). What you don't see is a willpower that is beyond comprehension to many. I can barely imagine what it takes to look at yourself that way and say "No way, not anymore."

It's hard enough for me, but for someone that can't even walk to decide they're going to do it? I weigh more, but man, at least I can walk and move. I don't know if I'd have his willpower with his physical disabilities.
Old 09-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #17
Sarah Jenkins

Profile:

You have my respect for even starting to work out. I would say, try it again and again. And I'm sure the endorphins will come back. So that's nothing that really needs to be practised, it is kind of a human or physical reaction of the body to release endorphin hormones. Keep it up!
Old 09-27-2013, 12:23 PM   #18
Jeffrey Palmer

Profile:

first post...long time lurker Don't stop......go....and when your tired and sore.....go again...I started my Crossfit journey in Nov of 2012, I was 379 lbs and could do like 3 bad examples of a half of a burpeee . I had my 7 min WOD and evaluation and couldn't walk for 2 days from air squats. I grinded through my 12 on ramp classes and then started going 4, then 5, then 6 days a week. Surround yourself with positive people and learn everything you can about food prep and plan your week, plan every day, don't leave any chance to fall off the wagon. I am now 302 as of last weigh in and lost 5 pant sizes, 2 shirt sizes and fit my *** in the seats at sporting events and the movies now ....I don't check the scale all that much, I feel amazing and look forward to kicking *** from the moment I get up every day, but none of it is possible without family and friends for support and your community box to cheer you on and pick you up when your down.....one day at a time....grind it out and never look back.
Old 09-30-2013, 09:08 AM   #19
John H Curtis

Profile:

Glad you are feeling better about things - and glad you posted here for some positive reinforcement

Mark has great advice - small achieveable goals are the way to go in the short term, and eventually get you to your long term goals.

Right now is a great time to worry about form over load, and efficiency over time(s). The emphasis on those things (and the mindset that goes with them) will help keep you from getting injured, and get your habits ingrained so that when your fitness level improves you have good habits to go with them. You still want to push yourself - just make sure you are pushing yourself with habits that are good ones. And I have say this to myself as well - I have to remind myself that if I can't do a load with good form, I need to lighten that load. It can be an ego check at time, and all of us have to remember to leave our egos at the door.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:06 PM   #20
Jeff Higgins

Profile:

So I didn't show up to Crossfit for a week until today. Damn, I had some excuses, but that's all they were.

Inertia's a ***** though. The longer you stay out, the harder it is to go back. Luckily it was just a week.