CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 09-18-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Jeff Higgins

Profile:
360lbs - 2 Days Into Crossfit

So I figured I would introduce myself, although not much to say.

I called my local Crossfit box, to make sure I didn't need to lose weight before I'd be ready for Crossfit. The guys were super nice, said no way, and it was just a matter of lowering the bar for me basically.

I'm still scared to death of Crossfit. I have social anxiety and Crossfit has a lot more social aspect than a gym. I told the owner that I love and hate them.

It's amazing how supportive everyone's been. I thought I would walk in and be a leper with people wondering why on earth this huge guy is there. None of that. I've done the orientation and a WOD, which both kicked my a**.

I'm starting to get addicted though. It's a love/hate relationship. My body hates it but my brain is saying this is exactly what I need, which is true.

I can't wait until I'm a few weeks in, start seeing progress, toned down muscle soreness.

The support on this board is amazing, I can't wait to participate more and hopefully be a role model down the road for helping fat guys become former fat guys!
Old 09-18-2013, 08:50 PM   #2
Blaise Davis

Profile:
Re: 360lbs - 2 Days Into Crossfit

keep up the good work, don't quit, we are lucky to have you in our great community
Old 09-18-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Jeff Higgins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaise Davis View Post
keep up the good work, don't quit, we are lucky to have you in our great community
Thanks for the welcome, glad to be here!
Old 09-19-2013, 02:23 AM   #4
Sarah Jenkins

Profile:

Great to hear! I usually jog quite a bit but now that autumn/winter's on the horizon, I think I'll give Crossfit a shot. Especially for January with all that damn holiday weight...
Old 09-19-2013, 04:21 AM   #5
Tonya Martin

Profile:

Congrats Jeff. Get ready for a whole new life. I look forward to everyday because of CrossFit. It will change your life.

http://www.tonyascrossfitjourney.com/
Old 09-19-2013, 04:41 AM   #6
Nathan Sill

Profile:

Glad to see you have made a decision to make yourself healthier. Stick with it and you will see results.
Old 09-19-2013, 06:32 AM   #7
Greg Spaight

Profile:

Congrats on taking that first step and summoning up the courage to breakout of your comfort zone!

It's a journey, so don't get frustrated.

As they say - it never gets easier - you get stronger. Take advantage of the expertise of your coaches, they are there to help.
Old 09-19-2013, 03:13 PM   #8
Chad Ashton

Profile:

Yeah, congrats on getting out there and making an effort to get healthy again. I was in your shoes not so long ago. First of the year I was weighing 320 pounds. I used to be into lifting hardcore but stopped and really let my self go big time the past 5-6 years. I'd make some half-*** efforts now and then but I guess this time I was truly ready for the change. Since first of the year I've lost 70+ pounds and I haven't even started CF yet. That's from diet and cycling. I can't wait to add CF into the mix. With some hard work I'm hoping to hit my year end goal weight of 225 or less and my ultimate goal of around 200 by next spring. I'm 245 right now.

Great thing is, you should see some good results quickly. Just don't get discouraged when they slow down because they will. You'll have plateaus from time to time. And don't focus too much on weight. In addition to loosing fat you'll be building muscle so while your weight might not always change as much as you want, you will likely be shedding the flabby stuff and replacing it with the solid stuff. Use the mirror and the way your clothes fit.
Old 09-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Michael Pollak

Profile:

Congrats!!! Very glad you are taking care of yourself and even more glad you are sharing your journey with us! A positive attitude is all you need for success and your attitude is awesome. We all need positive role models,and this is a great community with great advice...

Slow and steady wins the race....
Old 09-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #10
Jeff Higgins

Profile:

I bailed on the third workout day out of three. I can barely walk up stairs, but I'm okay with it because two is better than none. Plus weight lifting tomorrow if my legs quit acting like Jello!

I'm going to have to take it a bit slower I think, at least for a little while. Who knows how long, but I think my muscles need time to adjust a bit anyway.

Thanks for all the posts. This is a great motivational forum!