CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 10-04-2006, 11:38 AM   #1
Darryl Mouck

Profile:
Hi all,

I stumbled upon the CrossFit site last week and immediately became intrigued. I am in good physical shape and wanted to try out the WODs. I currently do some weights and cardio (couple times a week).

I have spoken to a few people locally who do WoDs but don't do them everyday. Do most people on here follow the WoD rotation of 3 days on, 1 day rest, or do most do the WoD when they are able to, with a less-regular schedule?

Thanks!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:57 AM   #2
Jerimiah Childress

Profile:
just depends on what your goals are. If general fitness is your goal then 3 on 1 off is probably your best bet. If you have martial art, sport or lifting goals outside of that then you will probably end up modifying it so you get enough rest.
Old 10-04-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
Darryl Mouck

Profile:
Thanks for the quick reply, Jerimiah. I had another question I wanted to ask the group:

I'm trying to get a group together in my area to do the WoDs. We're struggling on coming up with a time that works for everyone. I prefer to work out first thing in the morning, where others prefer the afternoon.

Do most of you workout at the same time each day, or do you vary the workout time based on the day (eg. 6 am Monday, 2 pm Tuesday, etc.)?

Which brings up another question: In the past I have worked out as soon as I get up (5:00 am). Someone mentioned to me that it's good to eat something before a workout to maximize its effects. I always exercised on an empty stomach (cardio or weights), and then promptly ate afterwards (usually some oatmeal and a protein shake). So should I eat before or after a workout, or maybe both?

Thanks! If I end up doing CF, I want to do it as good as I possibly can, so I want to make sure I'm eating the right stuff at the right time.
Old 10-04-2006, 01:18 PM   #4
Ben Kaminski

Profile:
The time I work out is dictated to me by my schedule for the day. I work full time in an office, and some evenings I have night school after work, as well as school on Saturdays sometimes.

This means that some mornings I am waking up at 0600 to work out, other times I work out at lunchtime, and still other times I work out after work.

I haven't noticed any bad effects from this haphazard schedule; I am at peak performance most of the time. Being flexible has benefits too - if I am tired in the morning I can choose to work out in the afternoon or evening instead, when I might perform better.

Old 10-05-2006, 03:59 AM   #5
Jerry Berg

Profile:

yo ben...i gotta say i'm in the same boat...i rarely get to "choose" the time of day when I get to work out, but with a family and a job...i get to work out when i can get 20 minutes. and i actually think this is beneficial.

It keeps my body guessing. That's my very "scientific" diagnosis of varied workout times :-)
Old 10-05-2006, 04:21 AM   #6
Brian Reckdenwald

Profile:
Darryl, with respect to a pre-workout snack, different people will tell you different things. It all comes down to how you feel. Try a few workouts with a snack and a few without. However, be wary that it will take some time to get used to exercising on an empty stomach if you are not used to it...in the end your dietary goals should dictate your decision.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:18 AM   #7
Darryl Mouck

Profile:
Thanks all for the replies.

It looks like I'll have to do this on a varying schedule like many of you already do. While consistency would be nice, I gotta do what I gotta do :happy:.

I think my biggest problem is figuring out how to get started. Ideally, I'd like to do my workouts at home. I don't have much equipment though (a set of dumbells that go up to 50 lbs each, a bench, and an exercise ball. While I know that improvisation is key, I just don't think I'm setup well enough. Buying equipment isn't an option for me right now either, because my wife and I are currently in money-saving mode. Do most of you go to a gym or club for your workouts, or have you made a good setup at home?
Old 10-05-2006, 08:06 AM   #8
Chris Barclay

Profile:
Darryl
I think part of the beauty of CF is the flexibility. Both time-wise and with equipment. I am in the same boat as yourself with regards equipment (and being in saving mode to buy a house!) but make do with a set of variable dumbells and somewhere to do dips & Pull ups. I've managed to do most of the met con type work outs with a few work arounds to get my fitness up while I save to invest in a few more bits and pieces. You can generally sub rec'd workouts for what you have at your disposal.

If you're a member of a gym then great but I don't think it is vital - I'd rather save my gym membership and save for an Oly set and some rings.

Just my thoughts.

Old 10-05-2006, 08:08 AM   #9
Mary Wilcox

Profile:
Hey, somebody else starting with the same equipment as me! (Except that my dumbbells only go up to 20 lb.)

I'm planning my first purchases to be the new rings at www.ringtraining.com for multiple uses, portability, and relatively low cost (around $75), the dumbbell dvd, and the Starting Strength book. It might take a month or two to get them, though.

Does anyone recommend something better for newbies? Is one of these more urgent than the others?
Old 10-08-2006, 01:52 AM   #10
Colin McNulty

Profile:
I too only have a pair of dumbells and a house of stuff! A quick run down of the essentials would be dead useful, if anyone feels up to that? Cheers.