CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-15-2013, 12:04 PM   #1
Ryan Graham

Profile:
Structuring a Warm Up

What's the best way to structure my warm up?

I think a warm up would be a good way to focus and practise on GOATs while preparing my body for that session so am going to try and work them into a regular warm up.

GOATs are: OH Squat, DUs, Handstands + Muscle ups

Was thinking about doing a warm up similar to the following;

-Ankle, Hip + thorasic Mobility 10mins

3 Rounds not for time
- 5 X Max Handstand
- 10 X Max DUs
- 5 X MU progression
- 10 OHS

Does that look like it would help those things? Or should I just focus for 15-20mins on 1 skill each workout?

Or is it more about just getting the work in and practising either way?

Cheers
Old 09-15-2013, 10:13 PM   #2
Blaise Davis

Profile:
Re: Structuring a Warm Up

in my OPINION, a warmup should warm up the body parts used for your following WOD effeiciently enough to prevent injury during your workout
Old 09-15-2013, 11:52 PM   #3
Adam Carlson

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan Graham View Post
What's the best way to structure my warm up?

I think a warm up would be a good way to focus and practise on GOATs while preparing my body for that session so am going to try and work them into a regular warm up.

GOATs are: OH Squat, DUs, Handstands + Muscle ups

Was thinking about doing a warm up similar to the following;

-Ankle, Hip + thorasic Mobility 10mins

3 Rounds not for time
- 5 X Max Handstand
- 10 X Max DUs
- 5 X MU progression
- 10 OHS

Does that look like it would help those things? Or should I just focus for 15-20mins on 1 skill each workout?

Or is it more about just getting the work in and practising either way?

Cheers
The question comes to whether you want to prioritize your skill acquisition over your actual training. Your warm up doesn't seem so much like a warm up as it does flat out skill training. If you think about it, how well will you be able to train if your shoulders are smoked from 5 sets of maxing out in HSPU?

Warm up your body, do some mobility, do some light practicing of the movements involved in the training session, and then do skill practice at the end of the training session.
Old 09-16-2013, 01:30 AM   #4
Ryan Graham

Profile:

Sorry should have made clear I just meant handstand holds, not HSPU!

But thanks about the advice for doing a warm up based on the WOD and then just adding skillwork on at the end!
Old 09-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
Michael Cook

Profile:

Your GOATs point to different problems, and different ways to approach them:

OH Squat - usually this is a flexibility and mobility issue. So keep working on getting more flexible in hip, ankles and shoulders. Do something at the beginning and end of every practice to improve here.

DU - No secret to success here. You just have to keep practicing them and you will gradually get better. If you are doing single - double - single, you could start out your practice by doing 20-30 DU every day. Once you start being able to string together 5-10, do 50 a day. Its a good way to loosen up and get your heart rate up.

Handstands - this is more of a technique problem. I think your idea of 5 HS holds is a good way to practice, but you would not need to do them every day, and I would not reccomend doing them to failure. Just a good HS, working on extension and balance. 5-10 seconds would be good, once or twice a week.

Muscle ups . Assuming you have strict pull ups, and strict, full ROM ring dips, then this would again be a technique issue. However, doing MU takes a lot more out of you than doing 5 HS holds. Maybe practice these once a week, with someone watching you who can give you some feedback.

So in summary, improving your OHS and DU could be part of your every day warm up, and working on HS and MU should be skill work, separate from warm up.