CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2011, 09:33 AM   #1
Greg Light
Member Greg Light is offline
 
Greg Light's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Birmingham  MI
Posts: 2,933
Question about older Pendlay Bars

I was looking at Pendlay Bars on the MD website and saw this:

Discontinued Pendlay Barbells are no longer warrantied. Prior to the MDUSA / Pendlay merger all Pendlay Bars were produced by another supplier. This supplier no longer honors warranty issues and no longer has an association with MDUSA. Only Nexgen Bars are warrantied by MDUSA.

Does this mean that there is no warranty whatsoever on the Pendlay Elite barbell I bought that was touted as having a lifetime warranty? It sounds like it might be the case. Glenn, if you're reading this, can you shed some light on this? Purchased the barbell from wright when I get my bumpers if that matters.

I am not going to be a happy camper if I bought a $600 barbell due to the fact that it has a lifetime warranty only to find out 2 years later that I have no warranty.
__________________
My Workout Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 03:51 AM   #2
Darryl Shaw
Member Darryl Shaw is offline
 
Darryl Shaw's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Manchester  England
Posts: 1,925
Re: Question about older Pendlay Bars

I'm not sure how things work in the U.S. but my understanding of the law here is that a retailer is legally obliged to honour a warranty. Attempting to revoke a warranty after the point of sale or refusing to honour it would be deemed a breach of contract and grounds for legal action under the Sale of Goods Act the U.S. equivalent of which is I believe the Uniform Commercial Code (wfs).

Also, on a personal note I wouldn't buy anything from a company that behaved like this regardless of what they say about warranties on their current line of products.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:58 AM   #3
Greg Light
Member Greg Light is offline
 
Greg Light's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Birmingham  MI
Posts: 2,933
Re: Question about older Pendlay Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl Shaw View Post
I'm not sure how things work in the U.S. but my understanding of the law here is that a retailer is legally obliged to honour a warranty. Attempting to revoke a warranty after the point of sale or refusing to honour it would be deemed a breach of contract and grounds for legal action under the Sale of Goods Act the U.S. equivalent of which is I believe the Uniform Commercial Code (wfs).

Also, on a personal note I wouldn't buy anything from a company that behaved like this regardless of what they say about warranties on their current line of products.
Thanks. I thought I remembered hearing something similar to what you posted. I agree, I won't be purchasing anything from them again unless I get some satisfactory answers, pronto.
__________________
My Workout Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 11:36 AM   #4
Katherine Derbyshire
Member Katherine Derbyshire is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Seattle  WA
Posts: 7,596
Re: Question about older Pendlay Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Light View Post
Thanks. I thought I remembered hearing something similar to what you posted. I agree, I won't be purchasing anything from them again unless I get some satisfactory answers, pronto.
Have you contacted them directly? I wouldn't condemn a retailer for their failure to respond to comments on message boards other than their own.

As for the legality of it all, the question is whether the *retailer* or the *manufacturer* made the original warranty. Is Bed and Bath responsible if KitchenAid fails to honor the warranty on a mixer? In the US, the answer would be no. And if KitchenAid had gone bankrupt, KitchenAid mixer purchasers would be pretty much stuck.

Katherine
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Greg Light
Member Greg Light is offline
 
Greg Light's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Birmingham  MI
Posts: 2,933
Re: Question about older Pendlay Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katherine Derbyshire View Post
Have you contacted them directly? I wouldn't condemn a retailer for their failure to respond to comments on message boards other than their own.

As for the legality of it all, the question is whether the *retailer* or the *manufacturer* made the original warranty. Is Bed and Bath responsible if KitchenAid fails to honor the warranty on a mixer? In the US, the answer would be no. And if KitchenAid had gone bankrupt, KitchenAid mixer purchasers would be pretty much stuck.

Katherine
Working on contacting them directly. Still trying to find out who was actually manufacturing the old Pendlay Elite since it wasnt muscledriver.

Good point about who is liable. Looks like I need to figure out who made this thing. Luckily I have no issues with it at the moment.
__________________
My Workout Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 01:45 AM   #6
Glenn Pendlay
Member Glenn Pendlay is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: wichita falls  texas
Posts: 684
Re: Question about older Pendlay Bars

Greg, feel free to contact me at glennpendlay at yahoo dot com, and I will help you out.
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 10:39 AM   #7
Greg Light
Member Greg Light is offline
 
Greg Light's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Birmingham  MI
Posts: 2,933
Re: Question about older Pendlay Bars

Thanks Glenn,

I actually spoke with Wright yesterday and they will honor the lifetime warranty so I think I am in good shape. I will shoot you an email as well to make sure I am in good shape in the event anything ever does go wrong.

Just wanted to point out in case it wasnt clear. There is nothing wrong with the barbell at all and it is my favorite equipment purchase I have ever made. Just wanted to protect my investment after reading the info on the muscledriver website.
__________________
My Workout Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
Glenn Pendlay
Member Glenn Pendlay is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: wichita falls  texas
Posts: 684
Re: Question about older Pendlay Bars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Light View Post
Thanks Glenn,

I actually spoke with Wright yesterday and they will honor the lifetime warranty so I think I am in good shape. I will shoot you an email as well to make sure I am in good shape in the event anything ever does go wrong.

Just wanted to point out in case it wasnt clear. There is nothing wrong with the barbell at all and it is my favorite equipment purchase I have ever made. Just wanted to protect my investment after reading the info on the muscledriver website.
Greg,

Sounds good. You are going to be ok no matter, but shoot me an email when you can anyway, ok?

Glenn
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Pendlay econ bars? Amy Crawford Equipment 1 12-22-2009 01:48 PM
Help with summary of Pendlay WL bars Howard Wilcox Equipment 19 06-09-2008 04:24 PM
Purestrength and Pendlay Bars Norm Ford Equipment 12 12-25-2007 04:39 PM
Pendlay Elite Bars Ahmik Jones Equipment 33 11-27-2007 12:19 PM
Delay on Pendlay bars Glenn Pendlay Equipment 2 01-15-2007 07:42 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:53 AM.


CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.