CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 12-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
Matthew W Jeschke

Profile:
Tabata Protocol and HIT Theory

I'm writing a paper on Tabata protocol and high intensity training in general. I've been researching the topic but seems most of the original studies require subscriptions to various sites.

Anybody know where I can get a hold of the original study? Additionally, any pointers / background info based in science would be awesome! I'm looking for studies instead of just opionions on blogs. I know from personal experience it works but need more than that.

Additionally, I'm interested in learning the hormonal relationships between exercise and growth. Where's a good high quality source to learn about a lot of the nuts and bolts behind exercise science?

Thanks!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
Lincoln Brigham

Profile:
Re: Tabata Protocol and HIT Theory

There's high intensity training, there's HIT, and then there's HIIT (high intensity interval training). These terms are not synonymous. HIT in particular is difficult to define, so you're going to have to be as clear on your definitions as possible.

To the medical community and others, high intensity training means any "vigorous" exercise.

To the HIT Jedi, HIT means strength training done with as few sets and as much effort as possible. Or it means something else; even they get confused. Intensity in the HIT world is what everyone else calls maximum sustained effort. Intensity in most any other strength training community means maximum momentary effort, i.e. the one rep max.

HIIT includes interval protocols such as Tabata.
Old 12-01-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
Donald Lee

Profile:
Re: Tabata Protocol and HIT Theory

You can access the study by first setting up a VPN remote server on your home computer. If you search your school website, you should get the instructions on how to do that. It allows you to use the school's internet access. Your school should have paid for the journal that has the Tabata study.

Check this out:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/res...d-vo2-max.html (WFS)

Also, read some of the stuff on the link below. Especially, read the stuff on Interval vs. Steady State.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/cat...rance-training (WFS)

You can find links to studies cited in the articles.