CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 05-13-2007, 01:13 PM   #1
Alexander Feldman

Profile:
I am taining for the marine Physical Fitness test as well and officer candidate school. I have just started using Crossfit and I love the intensity of the workout, but was wondering if anyone had any advice as far as cardio in conjunction with crossfit. The requirements are 10-20 deadhang strict pullups (no kipping), 80-100 situps and a three mile run in 18-24 minutes. With crossfit the only part i am really concerned about is the run. Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 05-13-2007, 04:20 PM   #2
Richard Gonzalez

Profile:
I've found that Crossfit, with their limited amount of distance running, with the exception of the occasional 3 and 6 mile runs, are just right to prepare you for the PFT run.

If you are not an exceptionally strong runner, you will need to ADD running to your workouts. I would suggest in keeping with the Crossfit methodology of hi intensity at shorter intervals. (In other words, break up your 3 miles in sets of 400's, 800's, or 1200's).

As for pull-ups, do the WOD's with the recommended kipping pull-ups. However, your warm-ups should use strict pull-ups.

Old 05-13-2007, 09:39 PM   #3
Seth Hollen

Profile:
I recommend lots of pull ups and running, I prefer the interval stuff but dont forget the distance runs either.
As a former Marine I'll tell you to aim to max out the PFT.
Officer's have to set the example and I had no respect for young officers out of shape.

Good luck

Seth (Sgt Hollen 0352)
Old 05-13-2007, 11:56 PM   #4
John Schneider

Profile:
OCS is rough on the PT. They can't thrash you like the do at PI, so they throttle you every PT session.

You do not want to fall out of a run. The Fartlek intervals with burpees, pushups, squats, starjumpers, etc. thrown in the rest phases were the toughest for me.

If your run is weak right now, (over 21minutes for 3 miles), work 1/4mile to 1/2 mile intervals 3times a week. a 3mile once a week and a 5 mile every 2 weeks. And they should include hills.

Make sure you work on your pull-ups as well. You want at least 15 solid strict form pull-ups.

Good Luck and Semper Fi!

1stLt John Schneider
Old 05-14-2007, 07:15 PM   #5
Alexander Feldman

Profile:
alright thanks alot, the advice is much appreciated.
I will absolutely incorporate that into my workout.
For the interval training, any specific number of reps or amount of rest in between?