CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 11-26-2005, 06:15 PM   #1
Nikki Young

Profile:
Hey Everyone! I'm after some good reading ... i was flicking through some of The PM issues yesterday and the book 'Jitterbug Perfume' by Tom Robbins caught my eye in terms of the topics it addresses.

However, i read some reviews on it and because it's a fiction book, and the read would be character based, it has put me off in terms of learning more about; intermittent fasting (and all fasting), alternating hot and cold water immersion, eating frequent small meals (which im sure im pretty familiar with now) and importance of breathing exerices (which im also familiar with). BUT! Just in general learning more on about these subjects is of interest to me. So im wondering if anyone knows of any great books that cover these issues, and possibly more ??

Thanks for any help :happy:
Old 11-27-2005, 12:58 PM   #2
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Hey Nikki

Not sure if I have any book recommendations for you, but I am curious about the breathing exercises... got any books/links that I could follow?
Old 11-27-2005, 03:23 PM   #3
Nikki Young

Profile:
Hey Ian! I don't actually have any books on breathing ... but if you search 'Deep breathing' in google you will get heaps of articles.

I'll give you a bit of info though. Basically most people do deep shallow breathing, so lifting the shoulders and to some extent sucking in the stomach. "your body is only as healthy as the cells that make it up" ~ quote. And what determines how healthy your cells are is your blood stream. If your blood stream is poluted, then the cells in your body are going to be weak, which means not only your energy will be poor, but you will most likely die as well.

Your breath is the main source (only source?) of clensing the circulatory system, giving oxygen to the cells - which they need to live. Breath also controls the flow of lymph fluid in your body - lymph contains white blood cells that protect your entire body and clenses the system.

I'm sure you know what the lymph system is, but if any one else is reading and isn't too sure. The lymph system basically acts as the body's surage system, you have 4 times more lymph fluid in your body as you do blood, and every cell in your body is surrounded by lymph. The cells in your body are aware of what they need, so they will take in the oxygen and nutrients neccessary for their health out of the lymph and then will excreet toxins (like all living things do). When the toxins are released, some of the toxins will go back into the capilleries, but dead cells and blood proteins and other toxic materials must be removed by the lymph system. The lymph system is so important in your bodies function, that if it was to totally shut-down for only 24hrs, your would die from the result of trapped blood proteins and excess fluid throughout the cells.

The lymph system is activated by deep breathing, and the body depense on the lymph system as the only way to drain off the toxic materials and excess fluid from your body, which restrict the amount of oxygen your body can get, which they need to get for you to be healthy. The only way lymph can move around is by deep breathing.

Deep breathing multiples the pace of which the body eliminates toxins. Deep breathing and exercise can accelerate this clensing process by as much as 15 times the normal pace.

Plus, studies have been shown that lack of oxygen seems to play a MAJOR roll in causing cells to become malignant or cancerous. And a study has actually been done on this certain breed of rats (can't remember the name) that have NEVER been shown to have cancer (other rats have, but not these ones). So anyway, this study put one set of these rats in a cage with oxgyen 24/7. And another set of the rats in a cage, where oxgyen was deprived for a certain amount of time. I can't remember the time period, but when they finished the study, the rats in the oxygen 24/7 cage had no signs of cancer at all, the ones in the oxgyen deprives cage both had cancer. Also people who exercise have been shown to have a reduced likelehood of developing cancer - deep breathing.

So when doing deep breathing, breath deep in the abdomen, like a vaccum cleaner. The count (which can be done various ways through different people) which im familiar with is 1-4-2. So, breath in deep for 1 count, hold for 4 counts (1-2-3-4), breath out for 2 counts. Why hold for 4 times as long? cause this is how you fully oxygenate the blood stream and activate your lymph system. When you exhale (slowly) you elimate toxins via your lymph system.

I will generally count 4-16-8. But the higher the numbers the better, you just want to make sure you don't place stress on your body while holding in air, you don't want to go blue in the face, and it's not something that should be a struggle, so just do the counts your familiar with to start and build up. 10x3 times a day.

Hope this helps! :happy:
Old 11-27-2005, 07:10 PM   #4
Ian Holmes

Profile:
Thanks Nikki

I have made use of deepth breathing techniques in relation to stretching and yoga (as well as proper breath control for lifting...) but rarely do any breathing exercises outside of this.

This is an excellent reminder that it is a good thing to do. Thanks girl.

Old 11-28-2005, 08:36 AM   #5
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
intermittent fasting (and all fasting) - It's not really fasting, but Lyle McDonald has a book on "scientific crash dieting." I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post links, but you can find his site via google pretty easily.

alternating hot and cold water immersion ... I read about this boosting the immune system and it seemed interesting, but there is absolutely no science to back it when I last checked.

eating frequent small meals - it's not a bad habit, but the "benefits" are exaggerated

importance of breathing exerices - Pavel Tsatsouline has a book "relax into stretching" and he touches on some breathing techniques.
Old 11-28-2005, 11:35 AM   #6
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
Nikki,

Great stuff on breathing!

I have been showering with cold water (all the way) for the past two years, independent of weather and feel absolutely fantastic, to the point of addiction! Coming out of a freezing shower definitely feels like its ergogenic for me, and even if I'm not going to work out afterwards, I have a hightened sense of awareness and increased energy. I never get sick anyway, so I can't tell you about immune function.

I've never really stuck with contrast showers just because really warm water makes me feel dizzy and groggy but I can definitely dig the science behind it, mostly the fact about increased circulation (something you should probably appreciate around exhausted muscles).

Here's further info on this form of hydrotherapy:

* Contrast Showers: Done immediately after training to expose the

area to alternating bursts of hot and cold water. Comfortably hot for 2 to

3 minutes, followed by 2 minutes of progressively colder water up to the

point of discomfort. This procedure is then repeated for 4 to 6 cycles.

Since hot water is a vasodilator and cold water a vasoconstrictor, the net

effect of contrast showers is vastly improved circulation to the affected

areas. The effectiveness of contrast showers is markedly increased when combined with stretching. Various types of trunk stretches, including side bends as

well as flexion and extension, can be performed. Quadriceps, hamstring, and

pectoral stretches can also be performed after training sessions for these

muscle groups. Stretches are repeated for each contrasting cycle. A

handrail and nonslip rubber "skids" must be used for safety.

* Contrast Baths: Applied in the same manner and for the same

purpose as contrast showers. Contrast baths, however, are more convenient

for localized use (e.g., treating a limb instead of the entire body).

Old 11-28-2005, 01:36 PM   #7
Alexander Karatis

Profile:
ALso check:

http://www.insidetri.com/train/spmd/...es/2482.0.html

Old 11-28-2005, 06:17 PM   #8
Nikki Young

Profile:
Anytime Ian :proud:

Awesome info Alexander! Thanks for that.

Anthony, thanks also, is that book you sujested on IF quite informative on the subject, or does it cover a vast array of issues as well?

Thanks!
Old 11-29-2005, 05:46 AM   #9
Anthony Bainbridge

Profile:
Nikki, the book is more about crash diets than fasting, but I think it should give you some understanding of what happens to your body when you start a very calorie restrictive diet. For more info on what happens to the body when restricting calories, you could check out another book by him - Ultimate Diet 2.0. Even if you don't apply the concepts, you'll learn a ton about how the body reacts to certain things.