CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Digital Coaching
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Digital Coaching Post pictures or movies for critique and coaching

Old 02-14-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Deb Weber

Profile:
Snatch problems

Ok here goes - how can I fix this? I know I'm not supposed to extend backwards, working on it - but the landing feet back & in, what causes that? I've been doing just bar drills to help me land w/feet out. Its weird because if I snatch off the boxes, it seems less likely. What can I do to get faster and pull under better?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oshd1TBsw_w wfs
Old 02-18-2013, 10:24 AM   #2
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
Re: Snatch problems

I tried to watch but struggled laying across my desk comfortbaly to get the correct viewing angle.
Old 02-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Aushion Chatman

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deb Weber View Post
Ok here goes - how can I fix this? I know I'm not supposed to extend backwards, working on it - but the landing feet back & in, what causes that? I've been doing just bar drills to help me land w/feet out. Its weird because if I snatch off the boxes, it seems less likely. What can I do to get faster and pull under better?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oshd1TBsw_w wfs
You should definitely turn that 90 degrees clockwise...I think Youtube has an option to do that.

You are the second person I've seen concerned with feet landing too narrow. That wouldn't be a major concern to me. Jumping back slightly is ok. Hard to tell how far you jumped back here. Also being that you are a woman with breasts you'll want to extend back a little. What do you mean you shouldn't extend backwards?
Old 02-18-2013, 03:18 PM   #4
Deb Weber

Profile:

Heres rotated. Now it looks like my butts too high!
Snatch is my WORST lift, 2 yrs I still am awful at it. Its fun tho!
The thing with feet in, makes it hard to get up. Land like a christmas tree, butt has no where to go, hard to get up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWXIVIje8KY wfs

I would get told, extend straight UP, not backwards like that. I tend to want to use my back to fling the weight.
I mean, I know if I bring the bar back with me, I may make the lift but, not with heavier weights! I keep drilling w/lighter weights.
and thanks for any help to fix this. I know my bar should be closer to me too.
Old 02-18-2013, 11:32 PM   #5
Brett Valego

Profile:

from beginning to end i see a lack of tightness in your back/core. arch your back hard and squeeze your abs!

then keep your butt down and drive with your legs to get the bar off the floor!
Old 02-19-2013, 04:32 AM   #6
Deb Weber

Profile:

Thank you, very true well known weakness. Im doing a short squat cycle now. Regular programming has a lot of good morning and weighted hypers for that, anything else to strengthen it?
I had a session w a lot of heavy clean pulls, sn gr push press, bent rows. . .That would strengthen it?
Dont see anything in the way i pull to cause the feet in?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:04 AM   #7
Bryan Dangler

Profile:

Why are you sitting in the hole so long? The bar looks stable at the bottom yet on your second rep you camp out at the bottom for a while before standing up. All that's doing is wasting energy (unless you're trying to stabilize everything first). Secondly, the longer you sit down there, the harder it will be to stay tight, which will squatting it up that much harder.

As soon as you catch, stand up with it. If the bar begins moving slightly forward, compensate by taking steps forward.
Old 02-19-2013, 07:25 AM   #8
Deb Weber

Profile:

Quote:
I tried to watch but struggled laying across my desk comfortbaly to get the correct viewing angle.
funny. I have no problem with this. (rotation, noted!)

Quote:
Why are you sitting in the hole so long? The bar looks stable at the bottom yet on your second rep you camp out at the bottom for a while before standing up. All that's doing is wasting energy (unless you're trying to stabilize everything first). Secondly, the longer you sit down there, the harder it will be to stay tight, which will squatting it up that much harder.

As soon as you catch, stand up with it. If the bar begins moving slightly forward, compensate by taking steps forward.
Thank you! That's what happens when I land narrow, gotta balance everything, no stable base. Sure, I can walk it forward out of the hole.

I guess I should also note, these were AFTER 10rep squats, I usually snatch/C&J/pull et al - and squat last.