CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 07-13-2012, 04:09 AM   #1
Chris X Johnson

Profile:
Parking on Lifting Platform

I'm thinking of building the usual lifting platform (alternating plywood for 2 layers with a top layer of plywood and stallmats on the outside). Does anyone have experience with parking their car on the platform when it's not in use? I was planning on putting a tarp over it. Does the platform hold up? And is driving on to the platform OK for car tires (that might be a stupid question...)?

Thanks!
Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 PM   #2
James Yates

Profile:
Re: Parking on Lifting Platform

Never parked on stall mats or plywood, but as long as the floor (concrete?) underneath is nice and flat, shouldn't be a big problem. I would put a couple of plywood "runners" where the tires will roll just to keep the platform protected (if you want to keep it as nice as possible). Maybe 12-18 inches by 4 feet, easy to move off when you want to use it, even bevel one end if you want to be fancy. If the car will be centered and the tires only contact mats, maybe not necessary.

What will it be, 1.5 inches thick, right? Maybe run a 2x4 (which is only 1.5 thick) along the front to protect the edge-I could see that getting beat up a little right where the tires make first contact. (again, bevel it if you wanna be fancy)
Old 07-13-2012, 08:50 PM   #3
Mark Ritchie

Profile:

I think you'd break it pretty fast. We've got one, and while it is durable, the weight of a car would probably destroy its structural integrity. Putting a tarp on it might also trap moisture which wouldn't be good.
Old 07-16-2012, 07:54 AM   #4
Chad Barden

Profile:

I park my jeep on my every night tires are on top of the stall mats, the lifting platform is built like a tank and on a flat concrete surface.
Old 07-16-2012, 09:32 AM   #5
Michael Loucas

Profile:

I'd say it probably depends on the car and how much it weighs. Say the most abuse the average person would give a lifting platform in their own lifetime would be a deadlift. Say someone weighs 250lbs deadlifting 500. Thats 750 lbs in 2 points of contact (each foot) on the lifting platform.

That is not including someone dropping 300+ lbs from overhead, but that only lasts a second where a car would probably be parked on it for 8-16 hours at the most.

A car weighs significantly more, but the weight is more dispersed over 4 points of contact (each tire). In short, I think you'll be fine with parking on it, but who knows anything could happen. And yeah I'd also suggest protecting the edge, maybe cut a mini triangle and put it against the edge of the platform giving a tiny ramp for the car to go up to save the edge. Or bevel it.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:17 AM   #6
Bryan Rowland

Profile:

Should be good. No screws in the stall mats is all I would say. You could make edging that helped ramo the truck up so to not chew up the edge. In the end if the side get chewed it just adds to the good garage look.
Old 07-17-2012, 11:55 AM   #7
Ellis King

Profile:

I park a car on top of stall mats with a tarp on top. No problem at all. Not sure about the wood portion of an actual platform though.
Old 07-23-2012, 07:07 AM   #8
Dean Chandler

Profile:

There should be no problem driving your car / parking on the stall mats. However, if you should always drive straight onto and straight backwards off of the mats. If you turn your wheels on the mats, they can shift / pop up and potentially get damaged.