CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 10-05-2003, 05:15 PM   #1
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Over the past week I have measured my blood pressure 3 times. Every time I ended up with a nearly identical reading of: 138 / 70. I know that 70 is superb, however, 138 is extremely high - especially for me. I am 18 - 5'7 - 150 - sub ten percent bodyfat. I have been following the NHE Bodybuilders Protocol for the past few weeks. I have been eating only Paleo food and avoiding any extra salt. Obviously, this is extremely bothersome. I am going to head over to the Dr. the first chance I get so that I can get some bloodwork done and find out where I stand. Any thoughts on the blood pressure issue?

-Jay
Old 10-06-2003, 07:51 AM   #2
Ryan Atkins

Profile:
Jay,

I have previously had some of the same concerns that you do now. Robb Wolf and John McCracken gave me some good information in a previous post at http://www.crossfit.com/discus/messages/23/1449.html. By supplementing with magnesium and attempting to reduce stress I have been able to moderately reduce my readings.

Good luck,

Ryan
Old 10-06-2003, 08:34 AM   #3
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Ryan - Thanks a lot for the help. After reading the thread you posted; I am wondering if I may be over-training?

-Jay
Old 10-07-2003, 10:07 AM   #4
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Jay-

Overtraining/overreaching can certianly get BP up. Take a few days off and start monitoring your waking pulse rate. If this starts climbing back off on the training.
Robb
Old 10-07-2003, 11:54 AM   #5
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

Rob - Will do, thanks for the advice. I have been training balls to the wall on a regular basis. I really did not ease into the training like I should've. What really struck me odd about the BP thing is that the systolic is so high, while my diastolic actually dropped a few points. Odd.

-Jay
Old 10-07-2003, 04:23 PM   #6
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

I have noticed, as of late, my resting pulse rate is quite a bit quicker than usual. As I said, my Blood Pressure is also up. On top of all of this I have been feeling extremely fatigued and tired lately - something that has never happened to me while going low carb before.....

-Jay
Old 10-08-2003, 07:19 AM   #7
Chris Doughty

Profile:

Jay,

This article briefly mentions an observed rise in systolic BP in Olympic weight lifters over an intense, 1 month training period (p. 416, column 2). I can't find the original source of their information but it might be that what you are seeing is not uncommon.

As Robb says, your waking heart rate should be a good indication of whether you are overtraining. Combine that with fatigue and increased BP and it sounds like you should take a few days off. I've found that 4 or 5 usually do the trick and while it's painful not working out I find I'm a lot stronger when I get back and the workouts are a lot more fun.

http://www.hawaii.edu/hivandaids/Effects%20of%20Resistance%20Training%20on%20Res ting%20Blood%20Pressure%20in%20Women.pdf

Old 10-08-2003, 08:49 AM   #8
Jay Edvardz

Profile:

That's my plan, at this point. Thanks a lot for all of the help. I am already starting to feel better after a 2 day lay off. Thank god, for a second, I thought I was dying!

-Jay
Old 10-09-2003, 09:00 AM   #9
Scott Parker

Profile:
jay-

it also depends on when you are taking your BP. if you take it shortly after a workout, then yes it will be elevated, which is absolutely normal.

also, you didn't mention what your blood pressure is normally, so there is nothing to compare it to.

let's look at it the other way around. lets say a persons BP is taken and you get an "ideal" rating of something like 117/80. sure this looks like a good BP, but what if the persons normal BP is usually 140/80? now that supposed normal BP you took may actually mean that they are hypotensive.

also, is there any history of hypertension in your family?

i would think that heartrate should be of more concern. it's good to check it on a daily basis, especially in the morning when you wake up. it's a better indicator to see how you are doing and what is going on inside your body. take it over several days to establish a trend so you have something to work off of. a resting HR higher than what your mormally get may suggest that your body has not fully recovered from a previous workout, or others things like a cold or infection. (an elevated body temperature will also cause your HR rise. your body requires more energy to fight infection, and your metabolism increases, which means that your heart will beat faster because your cells rewuire more oxygen).

on the flip side, you may also notice a drop in pulse rate over time as your body becomes more efficient and adapted to you routine, which is absolutely normal.

so what if i take a pulse on someone and get 50 bpm? i might think, hey, this guy is bradycardic, but them they tell me they follow crossfit religiously of they're a marathon runner. now that supposed low HR is normal.

what i'm trying to say is don't get caught up in what you think is "the norm" what is normal for one person may be way off for another. the best thing to do with either one of these is establish trends and know what is normal for you. if you suspect that something may not be right go to your doctor.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:29 AM   #10
Scott Parker

Profile:
one thing that i just want to clarify.

yes, the reading that you reported is high for your age, but since you didn't mention when you were taking it, there isn't really anyway to know exactly what is going on.

remember, since it seems like you are fairly new to working out this way, this is a major change to your system, especially your sympathetic nervous system. pain, anxiety, stress, exercise, and smoking will definately stress the sympathetic nervous system causeing your systolic pressure to go up. your heart is trying to pump more blood to accomodate this new unknown stressor called the WOD!

the fact that your diastolic pressure remained at 70 isn't surprising. if it had been elevated that would have been surprising and reason for concern. (i had a patient just last week that had a BP of 208/84. what i'm trying to say is, just because the systolic pressure goes up dosen't mean the diastolic number should go up as well, and no, this guy didn't just finish a WOD!) .the higher systolic number may just mean that during ventricular contraction (the top number or systolic reading) your heart is pumping harder (which puts more pressure on your arterial walls) to get more oxygen to the cells. when the heart relaxes, the vessels recoil, and this pressure is measured as your diastolic, or bottom reading.