CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Community
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Community Catch all category for CrossFit community discussion.

Old 07-16-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
Carl Amolat

Profile:
CrossFit and PE

I recently came across this post (w/f/s) on CrossFit for a high school PE class. Granted its an older post dating from 2007 but it caught my interest.

It seems like CrossFit with it's emphasis on GPP (appropriately scaled to the age of the student body of course) would make for useful physical education programs in schools around the US. Any thoughts on the matter? I am especially interested in hearing from teachers and coaches out there.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:18 PM   #2
Sean McCue

Profile:
Re: CrossFit and PE

There are a number of well known programs in the CF community that use CF in PE. Some are non-profit affiliates and others are CF affiliate owners who also teach PE. Search for Sawmill CrossFit in Saratoga, CA. I run one in Los Angeles www.buffclasscrossfit.com. Tanya and Josh Wagner of CrossFit Apex use(d) CF in their PE classes with excellent results. There are a couple of older threads around that discuss the pluses and minuses of using CF in PE. My take is it's a fantastic way to get kids involved in fitness but kust like adults not every kid is willing to put forth the effort and commit to doing the work. You can see some teens in action this year at the CF Games in the first ever Teen exhibition.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:37 AM   #3
Chris Cooper

Profile:

Guys - we've taken this concept (really publicized by John Ratey - www.johnratey.org) - and are currently using CrossFit in local high schools COMBINED with focus drills and other brain-specific interventions to produce better grades. Updates at www.ignitegym.com. We had one essay in CFJ already (The Cogni-Gym: from Whiteboard to Chalkboard) with another one coming very soon (hey, it's the Games season!) A local school Board is involved as sponsor/participant for research. Stay tuned.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
Carl Amolat

Profile:

Quote:
My take is it's a fantastic way to get kids involved in fitness but kust like adults not every kid is willing to put forth the effort and commit to doing the work.
Of course, but if we can reach the sedentary fence sitters (even one), then that's a victory over the sedentary lifestyle.

Quote:
You can see some teens in action this year at the CF Games in the first ever Teen exhibition.
That is cool. Gonna search that up.

Quote:
Guys - we've taken this concept (really publicized by John Ratey - www.johnratey.org) - and are currently using CrossFit in local high schools COMBINED with focus drills and other brain-specific interventions to produce better grades. Updates at www.ignitegym.com. We had one essay in CFJ already (The Cogni-Gym: from Whiteboard to Chalkboard) with another one coming very soon (hey, it's the Games season!) A local school Board is involved as sponsor/participant for research. Stay tuned.
Definitely gonna watch this with interest. I hope that this does inject life into what appears to be anemic physical education programs.
Old 07-20-2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Rather than teach Crossfit, I would rather teach how to run correctly, correct many misconceptions that they have about weights and weightlifting, as well as guide them through exercise techniques. There should be more to PE than dodgeball.
Old 07-20-2011, 08:46 PM   #6
Steve Bray

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Rather than teach Crossfit, I would rather teach how to run correctly, correct many misconceptions that they have about weights and weightlifting, as well as guide them through exercise techniques. There should be more to PE than dodgeball.
dodge duck dip dive and....dodge
if you can dodge a wrench you can dodge a ball.
|Deadlift 220kgs|Strict press 75kgs|squat 162.5kgs|pullups 67|477 double unders|26rounds cindy| 2:28 Fran|6:08 annie|12 rnd NATE|full snatch 95kg|C+J 110kg|
Old 07-21-2011, 03:40 AM   #7
Seb St John

Profile:

Hi - I'm based in the UK and train/coach at CrossFit Tonbridge.
I also teach PE in a local all boys’ school and have been delivering CrossFit to a few select groups as part of their PE curriculum.
This term I have had part responsibility for a Year 11 (15-16 years old) Rugby group. I have them twice a week in which we do a strength orientated CrossFit programme. In the last 6 weeks the gains the squad have made are huge - especially significant in those that started at a lower base level of fitness. (Unsurprisingly..)
In the baseline fitness test I used (a speed/power test - used by the English RFU) - the smallest improvement was 30 seconds - the largest was 2 minutes 50!
Amusingly I also tested various members of the PE department who are reluctant to embrace the positives of CrossFit. In the final testing, 12 of the boys beat the fastest time set by a PE teacher other than myself.

Beyond these measurable gains I have also been given great feedback from other staff within the school, who are extremely positive about the all round benefits they seem to have gained. I have witnessed boys a little apathetic about most things become enthusiastic about improving themselves - this includes boys who are not natural 'sportsmen'.

So - can it work in a school - yes...
Old 07-21-2011, 09:38 AM   #8
Chris Cooper

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearse Shields View Post
Rather than teach Crossfit, I would rather teach how to run correctly, correct many misconceptions that they have about weights and weightlifting, as well as guide them through exercise techniques.
But there's more to CrossFit than actual exercise techniques; why not show them a method to working out that actually improves adherence (the likelihood they'll continue to exercise when the program ends)? That's the REAL beauty of the CrossFit program.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:52 AM   #9
Mark Harris.

Profile:

I'm an Elementary PE teacher with 14 years experience and I would love to implement CF into my daily lessons. I agree traditional PE games are fun for the kids but I'd like to delve deeper into their overall fitness. Not to mention I have lots of little ones that love jumping, squatting down and throwing things in class. Now the 4th-6th graders are where the issues begin. Many aren't "athletic" or "too techy" to play traditional games. My plan is to participate in CF classes at my affiliate, get Level 1 cert then CFkids cert. I don't want to try and implement anything until I'm taught first.