CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > CrossPit
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

CrossPit For discussing MMA, UFC, Pride fighting, and other martial arts

Old 02-17-2011, 12:00 PM   #1
Tanner Duncan

Profile:
Penn Vs. Fitch

I'm a fan of both guys...BJ's fighting style, Fitch's tenacity. I have a hard time seeing anything other than Fitch trying to out grapple BJ. I hope BJ can keep the distance and outbox Fitch, and make him stand with him.

Typically when I see two great grapplers, I think stand up fight. I hope so. Don't need a LNP decision for a main event.

Not a whole lot of interest in the rest of the card. I'd like to see Sotiropoulos against a higher caliber opponent, but Siver is tough. Fisher vs. Pearson could be a stand up war.

On paper, kinda blah but many times those cards end up being great.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:22 PM   #2
Vickie Ellickson

Profile:
Re: Penn Vs. Fitch

Agree with all points. I think BJ has the advantage with the standup, but the only time I recall Jon's standup being exposed was against GSP. I really like both guys as well. Love Jon's grinding style. It isn't very exciting, but his tenacity is second to none and I admire that quite a bit. He also seems like a very down-to-earth and no-trash-talk-needed kindof guy.

BJ is always a surprise. Sometimes a good surprise, sometimes a surprise. I can understand Frankie out-working him in one fight, but how does BJ not get a better game plan together for the second fight? BJ so fun to watch, especially when he does put his BJJ on display. His dismantling of Stevenson and Florian was very impressive.

Soti definitely needs a step up in competition. I feel like they are short-changing him by not throwing him in there with a top 10 guy right now. I'd like to see him against one of the WEC imports.

I'm picking the Pearson/Fisher fight to be the barn-burner of the night.
Old 02-17-2011, 01:42 PM   #3
Celio Silva

Profile:

Picking Fitch to steamroll Penn...
Old 02-17-2011, 07:23 PM   #4
Tanner Duncan

Profile:

You know, I see BJ as the talented kid who has a hard time finding motivation.

People who are just naturally great at something don't necessarily find what they are great at fun or enjoyable. At least not enjoyable enough to eat, sleep, and breathe, that one thing, like you need to to be professional with it.

If he comes to just scrap, we'll see how long he lasts. 3 Rounds shouldn't be a problem for him.
Old 02-17-2011, 10:56 PM   #5
Craig Silverson

Profile:

Not sure Penn has the confidence the win a fight like this. And his last fight vs Hughes was a joke. Nice to get the W and quickly. But not much of a challenge. Should be a good fight and it all depends which BJ shows up.
Old 02-18-2011, 05:44 AM   #6
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Silverson View Post
Not sure Penn has the confidence the win a fight like this. And his last fight vs Hughes was a joke. Nice to get the W and quickly. But not much of a challenge. Should be a good fight and it all depends which BJ shows up.
I never see confidence as BJ's issue...over confidence maybe. I still think that conditioning will be his goat here.... if he doesn't finish Fitch early he is in trouble past round 2.
Old 02-18-2011, 04:55 PM   #7
Lee A Koboroff

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Duncan View Post
You know, I see BJ as the talented kid who has a hard time finding motivation.

People who are just naturally great at something don't necessarily find what they are great at fun or enjoyable. At least not enjoyable enough to eat, sleep, and breathe, that one thing, like you need to to be professional with it.

If he comes to just scrap, we'll see how long he lasts. 3 Rounds shouldn't be a problem for him.
This ^. I think if BJ actually thinks that Fitch might give him trouble, he'll up his training and be in good shape.

BJ should win this - it's just a matter of how hard Fitch makes it
Old 02-19-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
Matt Payne

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee A Koboroff View Post
This ^. I think if BJ actually thinks that Fitch might give him trouble, he'll up his training and be in good shape.

BJ should win this - it's just a matter of how hard Fitch makes it
Oh I think BJ knows Fitch will give him trouble. Fitch went the distance with GSP and got beat down over 5 rounds......BJ never lasted that long...BJ will run out of gas and be ground into pulp....Fitch will try and wear him down.
Old 02-20-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
Troy Becker

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Silverson View Post
It always depends on which BJ shows up.

Personally, I hope the good one shows up, because I have always liked BJ. Also, I recently learned that Fitch is a vegetarian... I can't root for that!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:33 PM   #10
Pearse Shields

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Becker View Post
It always depends on which BJ shows up.

Personally, I hope the good one shows up, because I have always liked BJ. Also, I recently learned that Fitch is a vegetarian... I can't root for that!
As is Jake Shields. I plan on challenging him one day, in a Shields vs Shields show-down.