CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Nutrition
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Nutrition Diet, supplements, weightloss, health & longevity

Old 01-30-2011, 07:50 PM   #1
Shannon Scheller

Profile:
Beer on the Zone diet

My husband and I started started the zone diet about 2 weeks ago and have already seen changes in our bodies and the quality of our workouts. I have a few questions about the blocks though. 8 oz of a light beer is suppose to be 1 block. However we mainly drink Bud Select which on has 3 carbs, does that change how many blocks it is? Same question goes for general foods such as bread etc, if the number of carbs is less than estimated block description does that change anything? Thanks for any input!

Last edited by Shannon Scheller : 01-30-2011 at 08:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:16 PM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: Beer on the Zone diet

...and that's one of my biggest complaints about the Zone. It allows people to rationalize crappy food choices.

If you're going to drink a few beers, have a few beers and don't worry if it takes you out of your magical "Zone." But don't tell yourself that as long as you keep it 40/30/30 that it's ok for you....sorry.

If you want to read labels, 9g of carbs equals one carb block. Labels tend to be a little more accurate than the numbers you'd pull off a generic chart.
Old 01-30-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Shane Skowron

Profile:

Is this a serious post?
Old 01-31-2011, 06:53 AM   #4
adam adkins

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon Scheller View Post
we mainly drink Bud Select
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
It allows people to rationalize crappy beer choices.
Fixed it.

To the OP, I must confess, I too feel into the "ultra" trap. For a short period of time I drank these super lite nearbeers because of the low calories. But then I had an epiphany; If the caloric or carb content of the beer I was drinking was having any appreciable effect on my health, I was drinking too much beer.

As Eric pointed out, there is nothing magical about "THE ZONE" and in fact, there isn't even "a zone" in which to be in. The diet is just a convoluted and confusing way to count calories. Some people enjoy convoluted and confusing and there is no denying that if you restrict calories, no matter how you do it, you will lose weight.

If your goal is to lose weight you could theoretically do it on a diet of nothing but Bud Select. Call it "THE BUZZ" and market the heck out of it!
Old 01-31-2011, 09:23 AM   #5
Jay Rhodes

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
...and that's one of my biggest complaints about the Zone. It allows people to rationalize crappy food choices.

If you're going to drink a few beers, have a few beers and don't worry if it takes you out of your magical "Zone." But don't tell yourself that as long as you keep it 40/30/30 that it's ok for you....sorry.

If you want to read labels, 9g of carbs equals one carb block. Labels tend to be a little more accurate than the numbers you'd pull off a generic chart.
This is exactly what I was thinking.....

Just enjoy a couple every now and then if that's what you want and don't bother trying to fit beer into a nutrition plan....if you need to fit beer into a nutrition plan then you may need to re-evaluate what you're doing.
My advice- as long as it's infrequent, just enjoy a couple. Don't worry about picking low carb or lite, pick your favourite and have a good time.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
Michael Sinclair Howard

Profile:

does 'the zone' not account for alcohol as a macronutrient? The calories in an alcoholic drink come from both carbs and alcohol itself.
Old 01-31-2011, 12:44 PM   #7
Michael Jarossy

Profile:

If you need to drink beer (and yes, I do), do yourself a favor and drink something good. Just eat healthy otherwise and don't sweat it.
Old 01-31-2011, 03:36 PM   #8
Harley Jennings

Profile:

+1 Life is too short to drink cheap beer. Why are you on the zone diet if you are still drinking? Little bit of duality IMHO.
M/27/5'10''/200lbs/13%BF BS 365#/ SP 205#/ DL 425#/ BP 345#/ PC 235#/ FS 265#/ CJ 225#/ THR 225#/ Liz 6:11/ Murph 39:00My Log
Old 01-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #9
Sean Dunston

Profile:

meh-
I dunno, Harley. I was on the Zone for almost 3 years, and just counted Beer towards my carbs. It was my own fault (choice) that I got less "food" that night.

Shannon- as noted above, just treated booze as a carb block (per CFJ 21). If you are going to be strict about your blocks, that is pretty much what you have to do... and resolve yourself to not eating quite as much broccoli that night.
Old 02-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #10
Marcus Allen

Profile:

Guinness is its own Macronutrient!