CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > Community > Testimonials
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Testimonials CrossFit's successes / your achievements

Old 10-19-2010, 12:22 AM   #1
Summer Sando

Profile:
World's toughest road marathon

Crossfit is truly the best training program around...for any crazy adventure!

Yesterday I completed the Mt Lemmon Marathon in Tucson,AZ which is known as the World's Toughest Road Marathon. It was 26.2 miles up a mountain with a 6000ft elevation increase.

I finished in 5:48 which is definitely not a PR, but on this course and my sporatic training I was happy to finish in under 8 hrs! My only training had been 3 Crossfit wods a week but being super careful because I was having back and knee issues. Sure, I know i would have finished faster if I added CF endurance wods but I really couldn't because of my back and knees.

But I did finish in happy spirits! All on a few random 400 or 800m runs programmed in my affiliates workouts. The amazing part that totally shocks me is that I have no soreness a day later! I teach salsa classes and I didn't have to cancel class because I couldn't walk on Monday.

This is my third marathon since I started CF and I am so happy that I started!
I qualified for Boston on a tough course...ran Boston with my longest training run being 10 miles...and ran 26.2 miles up a frikin mountain with no soreness the next day...all thanks to Crossfit!

And don't think I've always been a runner! Nope... I was 30 lbs heavier with a marathon time of almost 6 hrs for my first. CF has truly enhanced my life in ways that I can't even describe!
Old 10-19-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Jared Ashley

Profile:
Re: World's toughest road marathon

Nice work Summer! The Mt. Lemmon Marathon is no joke! I knew they were going to be starting that marathon this year, but didn't realize it had just happened. Watching all the bikers push up that road looks tough enough, I wouldn't want to run it (although I DO want to hike to the summit from one of the half-dozen or so routes that start in the city).

And here I've been trying to decide if I have the ambition to run the tucson 1/2 marathon in december, which is mostly DOWNHILL!
Old 10-19-2010, 08:59 PM   #3
Thomas Green

Profile:
Re: World's toughest road marathon

Congrats! That sounds brutal.