CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Starting
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Starting For newcomers to the CrossFit methodology

Old 07-25-2010, 09:59 AM   #1
David Guinn

Profile:
First post; Did the "Angie" today

The last three exercises I did as Rx'd (pushups, sit-ups, squats) but I must confess that for the pullups I used a weight-assist machine:

30 at 55# assist
10 at 65# assist
20 at 80# assist
20 at 90# assist
20 at 100# assist

I weigh 238. I just turned 48. I have been doing 5 x 5 compound movements for about 18 months and hit a plateau and hope that X-fit will bust me through this plateau (waste stopped shrinking)

I completed this in 45:01

This just seems so pathetic to me (the pullups). I can only do about 3-4 at body weight. I haven't yet tried the kippers.

Last edited by David Guinn : 07-25-2010 at 10:06 AM. Reason: age added
Old 07-25-2010, 11:15 AM   #2
Eric Montgomery

Profile:
Re: First post; Did the "Angie" today

Scale scale scale...ideally Angie should be a 15-25 minute workout. Check out BrandX (WFS) for scaled versions of each day's workout. Trying to do too much too soon is a good way to get hurt or have overtraining problems.

Where in Cary do you train? I grew up there but haven't lived there since 2000 and am always looking for a good gym when I come back home.
Old 07-25-2010, 01:37 PM   #3
Brent Eno

Profile:

Give it time and patience David. Especially patience. You can only improve from here.

Also, if your goal is to "shrink your waste", you need to really focus on your diet. Vegetables, lean meat, nuts, seeds, and some fruit. Nothing else. Good luck, and train hard.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
David Guinn

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Montgomery View Post
Scale scale scale...ideally Angie should be a 15-25 minute workout. Check out BrandX (WFS) for scaled versions of each day's workout. Trying to do too much too soon is a good way to get hurt or have overtraining problems.

Where in Cary do you train? I grew up there but haven't lived there since 2000 and am always looking for a good gym when I come back home.
Right now I go to Lifetime Fitness. A fancy globo gym. The Crossfit gyms are too far away. When that is remedied I will switch. I understand the power of community in this effort. Right now I'm sort of a loner compared to what the others do at the gym

Last edited by David Guinn : 07-25-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 07-25-2010, 02:04 PM   #5
David Guinn

Profile:

I appreciate the link to BrandX and the reminder about diet. I'm getting better. Finally my wife is helping me to keep strict even if we are celebrating something. There is always something to celebrate (birthdays, holidays, anniversary, etc) She gets it now.

I should have done 50 pullups. Everything else was OK as Rx'd for me and I would have finished at about 20 minutes.

Last edited by David Guinn : 07-25-2010 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-27-2010, 06:34 AM   #6
Scott Donchak

Profile:

I did Angie on Sunday. Took me 49 minutes.

The pull ups took me 30 minutes alone because I was determined to do them all at body weight... I cracked at about 75 and had to use the machine. I don't know how to kip either. : /

I had only done about 3 WODs ever before though.

You have to start somewhere.
Old 07-27-2010, 01:52 PM   #7
Scott Stevens

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Guinn View Post
This just seems so pathetic to me (the pullups). I can only do about 3-4 at body weight. I haven't yet tried the kippers.
There is no shame in assisted pull-ups.
Old 07-27-2010, 04:33 PM   #8
Meghan Reid

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Stevens View Post
There is no shame in assisted pull-ups.
+1. Pullups aren't some mythical thing that "every" Crossfitter can do immediately. They are considered a strength, just like a strict pushup, a bodyweight squat, 2x bodyweight deadlift, etc etc. Very few people, unless they were athletes beforehand, come into Crossfit immediately able to do a strict pullup, much less 100 in one workout. Get thee to a rubber assistance band, learn to love it, then learn to hate it to motivate you to get off it.
Old 07-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #9
David Churchill

Profile:

Brother, I feel your pain on the pull ups. It took me forever to get them done. Like its been said before though, you can only improve from here. I also was disappointed in my time which was at 35:06, but ya know what...It'll get faster!

Good Luck, Stay Safe!