CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 02-15-2006, 10:04 AM   #1
Robby Beauchamp

Profile:
When taking them from the floor, is it better to have a slightly wider stance and have the bells between the legs, bringing them up close to the centerline of the body? Sort of like a KB snatch with 2 bells with the swing between the legs.

Or is it better to have a normal snatch stance and bring the bells up outside the legs?
Old 02-15-2006, 10:13 AM   #2
Dennis Yiatras

Profile:

I brought it up front of my legs like a d/l but what I want to know is are you supposed to end up with a wide stretch at the top because I was a little more than shoulder width only..
Old 02-15-2006, 11:48 AM   #3
Greg Kemp

Profile:
I always start any O-lift with my feet under my armpits. I start with DB's out side of my legs and complete the lift just as if I had a bar. The one difference is with the DB snatch I don't like to catch the weight as far outside as my normal snatch grip with a bar. I will bring the weight up and catch it just outside of my shoulder girdle but not too far out. This way I have less stress on my shoulders. Although today I just did power high pulls because my elbow is giving me a great deal of problems right now.
Old 02-15-2006, 04:54 PM   #4
Larry Lindenman

Profile:
Greg is correct. Feet under hips, jump the bells up, feet move out about 2" and back slightly to allow for a deep squat.
Old 02-15-2006, 05:46 PM   #5
Mike Burgener

Profile:
when i use db in my training i rarely do it from the floor......most of my db work is from the high hang and the db outside my legs to the side with my palms facing each other....then we just jump and land....land in a sqt, a split for the jerk and the snatch aka josh everett style, etc, etc....we switch off feet....and we even do them 1 arm...always, always keeping the db inside the shoulders.
Old 02-15-2006, 07:10 PM   #6
Jeffrey Crawford

Profile:
I tried these scary little demons known as dumbbell snatches and got dominated like a fat kid in dodgeball. I really dont feel like i did one right, i am going to have to get some instruction on these very very soon because i do not like not knowing how to do something. geez how humbling
Old 02-15-2006, 11:02 PM   #7
Rene Renteria

Profile:
The one thing today that changed my terrible contortions I was calling "snatches" into something resembling, well, a snatch was thinking "stomp". That got me to jump and land in a power snatch postion with the DBs locked out, a few times anyway. The difference was remarkable; give it a try.
Old 02-16-2006, 03:59 AM   #8
Karl Steadman

Profile:
I did 'em like Coach B described,

- dbells at hang position.

- drive up (get air) and jump and land with both 'bells in overhead position with biceps in ears, bending hips to absorb if needed.

seemed to work...