CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 12-26-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
Joe Bernard

Profile:
Rogue Wooden vs. Fig Rings

My mom got me the Rogue Wooden Rings for Christmas and after trying them out they seemed big and were harder to maintain a false grip than the rings I've been using for the past three years: http://www.ringtraining.com/shop/elite-rings.html (wfs)

To people who have gotten the Rogue Wooden rings, do they seem bigger to you than the rings you previously used (if you owned/used another pair before them)? I was thinking about exchanging them for the fig ones since the ones I have have a smaller diameter than the wooden rings.
Old 12-27-2010, 02:04 PM   #2
Sheldon Danley

Profile:
Re: Rogue Wooden vs. Fig Rings

I would stick it out with the wooden ones Joe. I too, had smaller diameter rings at home but didn't notice any major difference when switching to the wooden ones at our box. I actually prefer the wooden ones now because they give you more gripping surface and hold chalk really nice. I would argue that the skinny ones actually dig into the hand more when using a false grip.

Last but not least, the Rogue rings are the rings you will run into at most competitions, if that is your end goal.
Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 PM   #3
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldon Danley View Post
I would stick it out with the wooden ones Joe. I too, had smaller diameter rings at home but didn't notice any major difference when switching to the wooden ones at our box. I actually prefer the wooden ones now because they give you more gripping surface and hold chalk really nice. I would argue that the skinny ones actually dig into the hand more when using a false grip.

Last but not least, the Rogue rings are the rings you will run into at most competitions, if that is your end goal.
Huh, good to know. Whenever I do a good amount of muscle-ups on the pair I currently own I have to tape my wrists, and even then I still get bruises/cuts. The wooden ones did hold chalk much better than the ones I have when I tried them out, so that is nice.

The competitions I would compete in would be local ones, nothing as big as the Games. Are the rings' 1.25 inch diameter the standard gymnastic size? I tried googling but came up with nothing much, only one reference of 28mm, which is the diameter of the fig. I'm also assuming that the wooden rings have the same diameter as the metal ones since Rogue's site just says the traditional size when referring to wooden rings.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:15 PM   #4
Kris Warner

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bernard View Post
The competitions I would compete in would be local ones, nothing as big as the Games. Are the rings' 1.25 inch diameter the standard gymnastic size? I tried googling but came up with nothing much, only one reference of 28mm, which is the diameter of the fig. I'm also assuming that the wooden rings have the same diameter as the metal ones since Rogue's site just says the traditional size when referring to wooden rings.
Joe,

1.25" is our standard metal ring size so this is how spec'd the standard wooden rings. The FIG rings are 1.110" in diameter and are based in the FIG spec.

Hope that clears up any confusion.
Kris
Old 12-28-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris Warner View Post
Joe,

1.25" is our standard metal ring size so this is how spec'd the standard wooden rings. The FIG rings are 1.110" in diameter and are based in the FIG spec.

Hope that clears up any confusion.
Kris
Ok thanks, it did. I'm going to keep the wooden ones, I was hasty in my judgment and just had to use them more and get used to them. I was able to bang out muscle-ups without messing up my wrists on them as opposed to the older ones I own.

/end thread.