CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 11-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Sheldon Danley

Profile:
SS to CFFB Transition

Just want to get some opinions and see what others have done. I'm currently on my 2nd cycle of Starting Strength (I did it for 3 months last winter and then transitioned back into mainpage for most of the year). I plan on running with it until linear gains stop pretty much across the board. I will go down to increases of 2.5-5 lbs depending on the movement. After that I want to start working the met-cons back in to prepare for Sectionals for the Games (I plan to compete mostly for fun, I think it'll be another year until I have a real shot). My question is, if you've exhausted linear gains pretty well and good, would you start at the Amateur level in CFFB? Or...with these goals in mind, would you do something with even less strength bias like one of the affiliates that does 1 strength movement and a met-con per day?

I guess a more broad question is what are others out there doing to prepare?
Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Brian Bedell

Profile:
Re: SS to CFFB Transition

You could even do cfwf. But if cffb, I would start slow and work up, instead of taking on too much and overtraining.
Old 11-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Alex McRobie

Profile:

id start off with the strength WOD then add in the daily WOD
Old 11-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
James Forshaw

Profile:

Your numbers from first glance are solid intermediate. Try this site to make sure (WFS)

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

Im high intermediate/advanced on the lifts and currently doing CFFB and loving every bit of it. My advice would be to work in Off-season mode and do the strength WOD on "Collegiate". Then do the DWOD (scaled as necessary) but never being too reluctant to take a rest day or just skip a DWOD if you feel you need to - god knows I do sometimes. My numbers on the strength WOD are all heading in the right direction so I'm sure yours will too. And I'm certain that being good at CFFB will prepare anybody for any competition.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forshaw View Post
Your numbers from first glance are solid intermediate. Try this site to make sure (WFS)

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

Im high intermediate/advanced on the lifts and currently doing CFFB and loving every bit of it. My advice would be to work in Off-season mode and do the strength WOD on "Collegiate". Then do the DWOD (scaled as necessary) but never being too reluctant to take a rest day or just skip a DWOD if you feel you need to - god knows I do sometimes. My numbers on the strength WOD are all heading in the right direction so I'm sure yours will too. And I'm certain that being good at CFFB will prepare anybody for any competition.
Your numbers are in no way indicative of whether or not you are a novice or intermediate. It is based on how much you are progressing from workout to workout and how well you are able to recover. A strong novice may be able to squat 300lbs and increase by 5 lbs each workout and recover without any problems.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
James Forshaw

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez View Post
Your numbers are in no way indicative of whether or not you are a novice or intermediate. It is based on how much you are progressing from workout to workout and how well you are able to recover. A strong novice may be able to squat 300lbs and increase by 5 lbs each workout and recover without any problems.
This is few and far between though, a man like that would be very gifted genetically indeed. For us mere mortals, I think these numbers are a legitimate means of bracketing people.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
Joe Bernard

Profile:

Quote:
This is few and far between though, a man like that would be very gifted genetically indeed. For us mere mortals, I think these numbers are a legitimate means of bracketing people.
Gonzalo is right, Rip and Justin have talked about this extensively.
Old 11-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
Oliver Gould

Profile:

On the other hand, some of the guys at 70's Big made it over 400x5 on linear progression. You never know until you try.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Gonzalo Fernandez

Profile:

Quote:
Rip clearly states in his book PPST why that assumption is wrong. A novice stage lasts as long as you continue to make consistent and regular gains each workout. Once that is exhausted, you become an intermediate, regardless of what your numbers are.

If you don't have the book, here is a link to his forum that helps to explain. I could not find the exact thread I was looking for, but it is close enough

http://****************.com/resource...ad.php?t=13314 (not f/w/safe due to language)

Hope this helps to clarify things.
Old 11-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
David Meverden

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez View Post
Rip clearly states in his book PPST why that assumption is wrong. A novice stage lasts as long as you continue to make consistent and regular gains each workout. Once that is exhausted, you become an intermediate, regardless of what your numbers are.

If you don't have the book, here is a link to his forum that helps to explain. I could not find the exact thread I was looking for, but it is close enough

http://****************.com/resource...ad.php?t=13314 (not f/w/safe due to language)

Hope this helps to clarify things.
Yup. Rips definition (which is different than most people are used to) is a far more useful way to categorize people than arbitrary numerical tags. That's why in Practical Programming edition 2 he removed the tables similar to the strength standards linked earlier.

=====================================

As for the OP's question, I'm thinking the safest way to go is to start amateur, but reset a month worth from your ending SS numbers. This will give you time for your body to adjust to the new work load. Then switch to the more complicated training once you stall out, probably at or near your former maxes.