CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-19-2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Sheldon Danley
Affiliate Sheldon Danley is offline
 
Sheldon Danley's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Newtown Square  PA
Posts: 128
SS to CFFB Transition

Just want to get some opinions and see what others have done. I'm currently on my 2nd cycle of Starting Strength (I did it for 3 months last winter and then transitioned back into mainpage for most of the year). I plan on running with it until linear gains stop pretty much across the board. I will go down to increases of 2.5-5 lbs depending on the movement. After that I want to start working the met-cons back in to prepare for Sectionals for the Games (I plan to compete mostly for fun, I think it'll be another year until I have a real shot). My question is, if you've exhausted linear gains pretty well and good, would you start at the Amateur level in CFFB? Or...with these goals in mind, would you do something with even less strength bias like one of the affiliates that does 1 strength movement and a met-con per day?

I guess a more broad question is what are others out there doing to prepare?
__________________
M/26yo/6'-0"/180 lbs @ BS - 350/DL - 415/Bench Press - 255/Press - 155/C&J - 215/Snatch - 165
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 04:51 PM   #2
Brian Bedell
Member Brian Bedell is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Lantana  FL
Posts: 2,870
Re: SS to CFFB Transition

You could even do cfwf. But if cffb, I would start slow and work up, instead of taking on too much and overtraining.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #3
Alex McRobie
Member Alex McRobie is offline
 
Alex McRobie's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Auckland  New Zealand
Posts: 336
Re: SS to CFFB Transition

id start off with the strength WOD then add in the daily WOD
__________________
"IF YOU'RE NOT ON THE EDGE, YOU'RE JUST TAKING UP SPACE."
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 11:57 AM   #4
James Forshaw
Member James Forshaw is offline
 
James Forshaw's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Liverpool  England
Posts: 658
Re: SS to CFFB Transition

Your numbers from first glance are solid intermediate. Try this site to make sure (WFS)

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

Im high intermediate/advanced on the lifts and currently doing CFFB and loving every bit of it. My advice would be to work in Off-season mode and do the strength WOD on "Collegiate". Then do the DWOD (scaled as necessary) but never being too reluctant to take a rest day or just skip a DWOD if you feel you need to - god knows I do sometimes. My numbers on the strength WOD are all heading in the right direction so I'm sure yours will too. And I'm certain that being good at CFFB will prepare anybody for any competition.
__________________
23 - M - 5"10/77kg: Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:00 PM   #5
Gonzalo Fernandez
Member Gonzalo Fernandez is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cary  NC
Posts: 255
Re: SS to CFFB Transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forshaw View Post
Your numbers from first glance are solid intermediate. Try this site to make sure (WFS)

http://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLi...Standards.html

Im high intermediate/advanced on the lifts and currently doing CFFB and loving every bit of it. My advice would be to work in Off-season mode and do the strength WOD on "Collegiate". Then do the DWOD (scaled as necessary) but never being too reluctant to take a rest day or just skip a DWOD if you feel you need to - god knows I do sometimes. My numbers on the strength WOD are all heading in the right direction so I'm sure yours will too. And I'm certain that being good at CFFB will prepare anybody for any competition.
Your numbers are in no way indicative of whether or not you are a novice or intermediate. It is based on how much you are progressing from workout to workout and how well you are able to recover. A strong novice may be able to squat 300lbs and increase by 5 lbs each workout and recover without any problems.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:12 PM   #6
James Forshaw
Member James Forshaw is offline
 
James Forshaw's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Liverpool  England
Posts: 658
Re: SS to CFFB Transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez View Post
Your numbers are in no way indicative of whether or not you are a novice or intermediate. It is based on how much you are progressing from workout to workout and how well you are able to recover. A strong novice may be able to squat 300lbs and increase by 5 lbs each workout and recover without any problems.
This is few and far between though, a man like that would be very gifted genetically indeed. For us mere mortals, I think these numbers are a legitimate means of bracketing people.
__________________
23 - M - 5"10/77kg: Log
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
Joe Bernard
Member Joe Bernard is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Philadelphia  PA
Posts: 2,626
Re: SS to CFFB Transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forshaw View Post
This is few and far between though, a man like that would be very gifted genetically indeed. For us mere mortals, I think these numbers are a legitimate means of bracketing people.
Gonzalo is right, Rip and Justin have talked about this extensively.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
Oliver Gould
Member Oliver Gould is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Santa Cruz  CA
Posts: 436
Re: SS to CFFB Transition

On the other hand, some of the guys at 70's Big made it over 400x5 on linear progression. You never know until you try.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #9
Gonzalo Fernandez
Member Gonzalo Fernandez is offline
 
Profile:
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Cary  NC
Posts: 255
Re: SS to CFFB Transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Forshaw View Post
This is few and far between though, a man like that would be very gifted genetically indeed. For us mere mortals, I think these numbers are a legitimate means of bracketing people.
Rip clearly states in his book PPST why that assumption is wrong. A novice stage lasts as long as you continue to make consistent and regular gains each workout. Once that is exhausted, you become an intermediate, regardless of what your numbers are.

If you don't have the book, here is a link to his forum that helps to explain. I could not find the exact thread I was looking for, but it is close enough

http://****************.com/resource...ad.php?t=13314 (not f/w/safe due to language)

Hope this helps to clarify things.
  Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2009, 05:45 PM   #10
David Meverden
Member David Meverden is offline
 
David Meverden's Avatar
 
Profile:
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Charleston  SC
Posts: 2,802
Re: SS to CFFB Transition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzalo Fernandez View Post
Rip clearly states in his book PPST why that assumption is wrong. A novice stage lasts as long as you continue to make consistent and regular gains each workout. Once that is exhausted, you become an intermediate, regardless of what your numbers are.

If you don't have the book, here is a link to his forum that helps to explain. I could not find the exact thread I was looking for, but it is close enough

http://****************.com/resource...ad.php?t=13314 (not f/w/safe due to language)

Hope this helps to clarify things.
Yup. Rips definition (which is different than most people are used to) is a far more useful way to categorize people than arbitrary numerical tags. That's why in Practical Programming edition 2 he removed the tables similar to the strength standards linked earlier.

=====================================

As for the OP's question, I'm thinking the safest way to go is to start amateur, but reset a month worth from your ending SS numbers. This will give you time for your body to adjust to the new work load. Then switch to the more complicated training once you stall out, probably at or near your former maxes.
__________________
CERTIFICATIONS: CSCS, CrossFit LVL 1
SEMINARS: Starting Strength, Ultimate Advantage, CFE, CF O-lifting, MovNat
  Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Hypertrophy with CFFB Ian Strand Fitness 28 12-29-2009 09:49 AM
CFFB, CFSB...Help! Andrew Schechterly Fitness 20 11-10-2009 04:56 PM
Coming off SS/CFFB/CFSB Andy Beaulieu Fitness 7 08-12-2009 08:47 PM
CFFB and Overtraining Charlie Karnick Fitness 9 07-09-2009 06:17 PM
SS/CFFB and Paleo Randy Hill Nutrition 15 07-08-2009 10:34 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:47 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
CrossFit is a registered trademark of CrossFit Inc.