CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 06-02-2005, 09:03 PM   #1
Rob McBee

Profile:
Several days ago the WOD had additional info detailing the flaws of hindu squats. One of those flaws was that lifting the heels shifts the load to the quads, neglecting the hamstrings/posterior chain. Does the same thing occur running up hills? The angle seems to force you to run on the balls of the feet so does this load the quads/neglect the hams too?
Old 06-02-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
Kalen Meine

Profile:
Hmm....I ran up a hill just yesterday carrying somebody, and my hams felt it. Granted, they were still feeling a set of KB swings that beat them senseless, but I definitely noticed it. When I picture the angles, I still think that hip extension is more crucial to the movement than knee, but that could just be a mental trick. I wouldn't worry about it in any case- running up hills is obviously functional, and thus whatever adaptation it causes is alright. I mean, people run, and the world has hills. Whatever makes you run up that hill faster, your body will do.
Old 06-03-2005, 12:18 PM   #3
Russ Greene

Profile:

Running seems to be the opposite of squatting for me, in terms of the heel vs. toe effect. When I run on my heels, I really feel it only in my quads, when I run with shorter strides on my toes the work is divided more evenly, as the hamstrings and calves definitely get more work. Plus running on your toes is faster and more efficient, whether you're running uphill or on a track.

Previously Masquerading as Ross Greenberg
Old 06-03-2005, 01:55 PM   #4
Gary John

Profile:

OOH,OOH, I know this one. Us old guys sprint uphill because it is easy on the hamstrings. Supposedly, you can't pull a hamstring sprinting uphill. This is very quad dominant. That's why RDLs are the anti-hill sprinting. I better not see a new crossfit workout where you do RDLs and then sprint uphill...
Old 06-04-2005, 12:23 PM   #5
Robert Wolf

Profile:
I think Ross, er, I mean Russ hit on something: Stride length. If you are taking a longer stride you will recruit posterior chain more. Short choppy steps cause one to pogo-stick along off the quads.

IMO long strides w/hill sprints are glute/hamstring intensive.
Robb
Old 06-09-2005, 01:13 AM   #6
Hone Watson

Profile:
Interesting thoughts on the stride length Robb.

I tend to agree, however Michael Johnson was noted for his short stride length and didn't seem to suffer in glute/ham development.

As far as hindu squats go - I don't think there is any harm in popping out a few hindu squats now and then as an occasional additional exercise. It hasn't effected my standard squat flexibility.