CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Equipment
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Equipment Outfitting a serious gym. Vendors & suppliers. Devices & equipment

Old 06-05-2009, 11:05 AM   #1
Brandon Heitkamp

Profile:
question about bumper plates

I am trying to decide which bumper set to buy... I was trying to decide how much weight I really need... I am looking at the 230 260 and 300 lb sets. I am leaning toward roguefitness but I have seen a couple others that seem comparable and are within 15 dollars pricewise..

I am 27years old 5' 10" and I weight 180lb I know that in the deadlift I can exceed 260lbs but most other workouts I don't. Would yall get the 230 or 260 set and add some smaller diameter steel weights to the bar for lifts like the dl?? or would you sink all your money in a larger bumper set?

Help!!!!!!
Old 06-05-2009, 11:21 AM   #2
Brandon Heitkamp

Profile:
Re: question about bumper plates

Pendlay has a 300 lb set 4x 45 2 x 25 2 x 35 for 499 bucks.... this seems like the best deal but are their econ bumpers nice? sigh I hate making decisions lol.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:00 PM   #3
Mike Alley

Profile:

I've had great experiences with Wright Rubber in Birmingham. They are easy to find online. Call the 1-800 number and ask for Jason or Chris. Both guys are super helpful and friendly. They've been in the biz for a long time and have supplied, or continue to supply, most of the folks who sell bumpers. I would encourage you to get 4 45's, 2 25's and 2 10's. You really don't need the 35's it sounds like. Pick up some metal 5's and 2.5's at Play it Again, or Dick's on the cheap. Budget about 225.00 for an adequate bar and you are good to go. Have fun! I love buying toys!
Old 06-05-2009, 12:29 PM   #4
Andy Poquette

Profile:

I don't have any experience with Wright Rubber, but I can tell you that the Rogue bumpers I have are freakin' awesome.

I got the #230 set with 2 additional #10s. Great service, fast shipping, bumpers stand up amazingly well, I really can't recommend them enough.
Old 06-05-2009, 12:34 PM   #5
Jason Jamora

Profile:

If you already have some iron plates you might only need 45#, 25# and 10#s.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:05 PM   #6
John Dunlap

Profile:

My advice - skip the 35's. I recently bought a set of Hi-Temps. I got 2 pairs of 45's and 1 pair of 10's, 15's, 25's and 35's. I use all of them regularly except the 35's. I love the Hi-Temps. I've used Wrights and those are nice too and a very good value.
Old 06-05-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Wes Palmer

Profile:

Wright Rubber is the way to go, build what you need in a set with them. I have a set of 340 but for DL I use some of my old Iron 45's as well as my bumpers
Old 06-05-2009, 08:02 PM   #8
William Valdez

Profile:

The Rogue Hi-temp are the best for the money. They have steel inserts and the recycle rubber is care free. This bumpers are bullet proof! I have other brands like Ivanko and York and I prefer the Rogue Hi-temp any-day.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:52 PM   #9
Robert Fontaine

Profile:

If you aren't planning to lift more than 400 or so pounds on the bar wright rubber is hard to beat. If you are planning to lift more then GarageGym's MHGTY Bumpers seem like the next most cost effective choice.

I'm currently using the Wright Rubber bumpers and am mostly satisfied. Great value for money. Of the dozen plates that I have 1 has a loose bushing.

If these will get heavy or club use I'd say get steel bushings but for single user use brass bushings are adequate.

I am impatiently waiting for GarageGym to sell bumpers to canada so that I can stock up on their 25kg bumpers.
Old 06-06-2009, 03:02 AM   #10
Lester Leblanc

Profile:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wes Palmer View Post
Wright Rubber is the way to go, build what you need in a set with them. I have a set of 340 but for DL I use some of my old Iron 45's as well as my bumpers
This leads me to a question I have been pondering for a while. The gym I go to only has Iron plates for the moment, but I am working at getting them to make a small investment in bumper plates. From a diameter point of view, will 45 lb Iron plates be smaller than bumper plates, allowing the bar to drop without metal crashing on the floor, or would one need to top out at 35 lb iron to be safe? Hope my question makes sense.