CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-25-2004, 07:45 AM   #1
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
I get the impression I'm not able to perform a single knee to elbow. Is this 'normal' or am I simlpy not tackling it correctly? Would an average person off the street be able to do a knee to elbow?
Old 09-25-2004, 11:25 AM   #2
Mike Minium

Profile:
Paul,

I was just at a work conference and for the vendor's customer appreciation party they had a full trapeze setup (the platform was about fourty feet from the ground, plus the nets, the safety harnesses, etc.) and instructors there. I decided it looked like fun. Well, rather than just having us randomly swing on the trapeze, the instructors had us actually do a basic beginner's sequence (or at least try to). This sequence was to take off from the platform, swing out, and at the end of the swing, invert yourself, hook your knees on the bar, and swing back hanging from the bar on your knees. Then, once you finish the swing back, you grab the bar with your hands, unhook yourself (so that you're in the normal, hanging position) and swing forward. And at the end of the forward swing, you release/dismount.

Prior to taking off from the platform, though, they had us practice on the ground (again with more instructors) on a trapeze bar that was about 6' from the ground. The point of this pre-flight practice was to practice the move where we go from the dead hang position to the position where we're hanging on the bar from our knees.

Now here's my point (I know, it took a while). In my group of eight, not one person (other than yours truly--I felt like I was a cheater since CF made this kind of move feel like child's play) was able to get up to the hang-from-the-knees position without at least a little assistance from the instructor (some required the instructor to go into a full squat and hoist the person's legs over the bar--it looked a lot like the instructor was doing a thruster). There were about 30,000 people at this party, and the results of this exercise were pretty much the same throughout the whole evening, based on what I observed.

So to answer your question, I'm gonna say that the average, untrained non-CF person is gonna have a hard time doing a true knees-to-elbow. They might be able to eek out a few knees-to-pits or knees-to-triceps, but not the real deal.

Regarding your situation, I would just do tuck-ups, gradually increasing the range of motion. I'd do this during warm-ups (assuming the WOD doesn't feature exercises that are going to tax your abs/core) or cool-downs. Also, doing tuck front lever holds for a certain number of seconds will help, too (try to hold the tuck front lever position for a total of 60 seconds). With practice, you'll get it.

Hope this helps,

Mike
Old 09-25-2004, 12:05 PM   #3
Paul Theodorescu

Profile:
That helps a lot, thanks very much :-)

I think tuck-ups is what I've been doing. I'll keep working at it.

Edit: I just tried and it appears as though I can do a knee to elbow but only if I bend my arms. Is this alright?

Also, I just realized that part of the problem with the knees to elbows for me is that I'm just too tired to do them after running hundreds of stairs and doing dozens of sit-ups in the rest of the WOD! Just doing them now felt quite strong.
Old 09-25-2004, 09:43 PM   #4
Pat Janes

Profile:

I'm guessing that the intention is straight arm; as bending the arms does make the movement easier.

I'm unsure though, whether straight-arm knee raises are a better progression than bent-arm knees to elbows. That is, should one keep the arms straight and get as close to the elbow as you can or allow the elbows to bend?
Old 09-26-2004, 09:03 AM   #5
Mike Minium

Profile:
Good question, Pat. The purist in me says to work the movement with straight arms, gradually getting to where you can touch the knees to elbows.

Although I haven't tried it, I'd be curious to see if toward the end of doing bent-arm knees-to-elbows, that your arms would straighten out due to fatigue (gravity is pulling you naturally down). So maybe you get in some straight-arm reps at the end, without even intending to do so.

Mike
Old 09-26-2004, 03:56 PM   #6
Pat Janes

Profile:

Well, I'm a few days behind in the WOD's, so I just did the (400m + lots of core work) x 5 WOD yesterday.

I've blasted through (admittedly broken) sets of knees to elbows previously, but after all the situps and back extensions, I was struggling to get my knees up to my elbows in the final reps of each set of 21.

I chose to keep my arms straight throughout and do the best I could to complete the full ROM. I think that keeping your elbows straight allows you to more fully concentrate on the purpose of the exercise - to use your midsection to pull your lower body up. If you involve other muscles to help (arms, back) it's too easy to cheat.

So my answer to the original question (after completing the WOD in question) is that "knees to elbows" are really hard; but even harder in the middle of a really heavy core workout.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:29 PM   #7
Steve Seckinger

Profile:
I've done maybe 50% of the WOD's recently (still new to Crossfit), and the one on 9/22 which included knees-to-elbows killed me. I actually did the workout on 9/25, and today 9/29 my abs are still verrry sore. I don't mind because I know it will go away (nothing is torn), but it showed me what a killer exercise it was.
Old 09-29-2004, 04:43 PM   #8
Pat Janes

Profile:

I found much the same thing, Steve. I did that workout on 26/9 and my abs were still sore yesterday 29/9.
Old 09-30-2004, 07:44 AM   #9
Roger Harrell

Profile:
Bending the arms will definitely reduce the purpose of the exersize (abs). By pulling a bit first then dropping back you are doing the rotation more with your arms than abs.