CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 09-22-2004, 08:28 AM   #1
Albert Clayton

Profile:
I just read an article on the WestSide Powerlifting site. They place alot of importance on this exercise and believe that it decompresses the spine and is important for lower back health and injury prevention. Especially after you do all those box squats. What are everyone's comments and is this exercise worth pursuing?
Old 09-22-2004, 12:58 PM   #2
Nick Holley

Profile:  
I'm not sure, but I would expect that the only benefit compared to the regular hyper extension would be not having to maintain form. With the reverse, your upper body can't twist and round out.
Old 09-22-2004, 05:29 PM   #3
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Albert-

The reverse hyper is fantastic. It recruits the posterior chain in a very different way than standard back extensions. The isometric contraction of the spinal erectors is similar in magnitude to that found in the abdominals in the L-sit.

If you do nto have a reverse hyper try working the tuck planche and or the straight arm/straight leg press to ahandstand.
Robb
Old 09-22-2004, 08:29 PM   #4
Albert Clayton

Profile:
Thanks,

I do not have access to a reverse hyper. It is very interesting that a hspu and the tuck planche work the posterior chain. I will keep working on both of them.
Old 09-23-2004, 05:25 AM   #5
Steve Shafley

Profile:
The box squat causes no more stress to the lower bck than the regular squat when done correctly, as the Westside Barbell Club recommends. You never, ever slam down on the box, you don't even sit down on the box. You sit back and reach for the box with your butt. This difference might be subtle for some, but will become very apparent when you master it. The big problem is that most people new to the box squat don't have the strength and/or motor control to actually perform this movement correctly. It's definitely something that takes a bit of time and effort to learn for most people.

Old 09-23-2004, 11:08 AM   #6
Albert Clayton

Profile:
When I do box squats it is principally to ensure that I am getting below parallel in my squat. So I use it as more of guide. Is this the principal behind box squats?
Old 09-23-2004, 11:14 AM   #7
Albert Clayton

Profile:
Oh yeah,you can hurt yourself rolling out of bed. Worries over future injuries are not a good excuse to avoid an exercise or movement. Just my neophyte thoughts on the subject.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:48 PM   #8
Robert Wolf

Profile:
Albert-

I do believe the purpose of the boxsquat is to de-emphasize the quads and shift load to the posterior chain.

Just to be clear I was talking about the straight arm, straight leg press to hand stand...I will try to track down a link for proper performance.
Robb
Old 09-24-2004, 03:47 PM   #9
Ross Hunt

Profile:
Steve and all -

I thought you were supposed to actually sit on the box, keeping everything tight except the hip flexors, and then, after a meaningfully long pause, re-contract the hip flexors to come off the box. I thought that this was what distinguished box squats from normal squats.
Please correct me if I'm wrong about this, really; my memory may be playing tricks on me.:blush:
Old 09-25-2004, 11:24 AM   #10
James Taft

Profile:

Any body have any experience with the "Sorinex Reverse Hyper Machine." There are two designed by Louie Simmons. They look pretty cool, but expensive. Link:

This one I understand how it works:
http://www.sorinex.com/pics.asp?x=ro...versehyper.jpg

This one I do not understand where the feet and legs go, any ideas?:
http://www.sorinex.com/pics.asp?x=ProReverseHyper.jpg

Jim