CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Exercises
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Exercises Movements, technique & proper execution

Old 05-07-2004, 01:29 PM   #1
Robert F. Gutierrez

Profile:  
This is my first post and first of all, I would just like to express my appreciation to everyone for the wealth of information on this site. I just got back from running hill sprints and it was a real butt kicker of a workout. I have had great results with this type of conditioning in preparation for boxing,kickboxing, and most recently submission grappling. I was just wondering why there are no WOD's that incorporate hill sprints. I've never combined hill sprints with any other exercises mainly because the hill sprint itself is taxing enough. However I think it would be interesting to see a WOD combining hill sprints with pushups and maybe v-ups or another ab exercise, and maybe even air squats for the elite. Any feedback or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:23 PM   #2
David Wood

Profile:

Hello Robert:

Welcome to CrossFit!

Hill running will definitely burn you up pretty well (almost any running makes me suffer). My 13-year-old daughter is doing track, and her coach wants her doing them, so guess who gets to do them with her on weekends?

I think you just created a pretty good WOD right there . . . 50 - 100 m hill sprint, 30 pushups, 30 v-ups and 30 air squats, repeat 4-5 times . . . (I'm hurting just thinking about it).

A lot of us make up our own WOD from time to time . . . that looks like a pretty decent one.

As to why Coach doesn't include it more often (ever?), I can't say. One possibility is that not everyone has a decent set of hills (or even stadium steps, which I don't find nearly as challenging), and Coach likes to make the WOD as accessible as possible without compromising effectiveness. (Think of the poor guys in Kansas, or Fresno, where I grew up . . . not a single natural hill in the entire town.)

Regular "flat" sprints will produce some of the same effect as hill work, and they certainly show up often enough. So does all the explosive and Olympic lifting.

A lot of us have our "favorites" that we wish would appear more often, just so we could kick butt occasionally (I like squat thrusts, for instance). Swimmers also feel neglected in the official WOD, I'm sure, although swimming hard repeats is a dynamite workout.

Please feel free to continue to try out your own formulations of the WOD, and post them if you like. The only advice I'd give is to make sure you mix it up a lot, and don't let yourself do your "favorites" too often ... it may be neglecting some aspect of your fitness where you really *need* development.

Dave Wood
Old 05-08-2004, 06:43 PM   #3
gordon mckendry

Profile:  
At least twice a week I hit a hill here in West Seattle. It's just over 110 yards and very steep. I sprint it five times, jogging down after each sprint, which provides about 30 seconds rest. After the second sprint, I'm suffering significantly. At the end of the fourth and fifth I am barely able to remain standing. I'll know I'm in shape when I'm able to throw in pushups, pullups, or anything else as part of my hill workout.

Moral of the story: Hill sprints totally kick my ***. I can't recommend them enough.
Old 05-10-2004, 06:00 AM   #4
Ross Hunt

Profile:
I ran hill sprints a lot in high school cross-country. They ARE a butt-kicker, but I wouldn't want to do them too often: They're one heck of a muscular endurance/anaerobic conditioning tool, but they don't allow you to go for SPEED the way flat sprints do. For example, I imagine there would be greater variety in the couplet [21x65# Overhead Squat/ 200m flat sprint] then in the couplet [21x65# Overhead Squat/ 100m hill sprint].

Does this sound plausible?

Ross Hunt