CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Workout Logs
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Workout Logs Post your logs here!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:12 AM   #1
Arturo Garcia

Profile:
My 28 day challenge.

I'm starting this log to keep me motivated. Here's the thing: I'm fully convinced that we should all eat paleo. I've read extensively Art de Vany's stuff, Weston A. Price and even Mark's Daily Apple webpage and I agree with almost everything. I just seem to NEVER be able to stick with it, strictly, for more than a few days. What's even worse is, that after a few days of clean eating, I go on a massive binge and I'd eat horribly for a few days straight. I'm talking about really, really bad eating. Must be that "binge eating disorder" or whatever, because I eat like it's the last day of my life and I just wanna taste everything that is sweet, regardless of how full I'm feeling...

So why 28 days? Because in September 7th I turn 26 years old, and I want that to be the day of my next "cheat meal". Why not 30 days, you may ask? Well, this last weekend I went with my wife to a beach resort (2 nights, check in friday and leaving sunday), and I knew I wouldn't be able to control myself there. However, I must admit I ate GREAT compared to all other resorts I've been to. In them, I would always eat like 150 desserts on top of the meat and stuff, this is horrible, and I'd end up feeling so full and hopeless for the duration of the resort. This one was different, I ate a ton of veggies and I had those desserts only ONCE!! I know, incredible. I did drank quite a bit, but still, I felt good throughout the weekend, motivated as heck, I surprised the heck out of my wife too, eating the way I did.

I should also note I'm doing rehab stuff for my AC joint surgery on July 7th, so I wont be doing serious strength training or metcons in these next 4 weeks, but some random rehab/prehab stuff for certain body parts. So I might not log the workouts I do, maybe whenever I see progress or something I will type it here so I don't forget.
I took the "before" pictures yesterday at noon, before lunch. I fully believe that in just 28 days, the "after" pictures should be a shocker. So, here's what I ate:

August 10th 2009:

3 eggs with bacon and lots of celery. Cooked with the bacon fat, maybe 1oz or a little bit more of bacon.

Two plates of soup, lots of veggies in it, and some beef, did not weigh it. Beef cooked without fat this time (grill). Quite a bit of avocado too.

Organic sunflower seeds (unsalted) with about 3/4 teaspoon honey. A few organic almonds (unsalted, roasted).

About 1.3 oranges, 5 strawberries and a cucumber thrown in the blender.

Spinach, bok choy, onion, one garlic, sauteed in organic pastured ghee, with a little Apple Cider Vinegar, with some more beef from the grill, quite a bit of it. Little cup of white wine.
Old 08-11-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Mike Kerce

Profile:
Re: My 28 day challenge.

good luck man! i've had the same mentality and struggle with all the same problems...i've started paleo for about the fifth time now but it can and does work. get after it and show me how it's done!
Old 08-11-2009, 08:58 AM   #3
Lawrence "Bo" Boland III

Profile:

The advice I would give someone who has fallen off the paleo-wagon would be:

EAT MORE FAT.

Make sure you're eating a good amount of nuts for snacks (I eat 1-1.5oz of almonds a day, split between 2 snacks usually...with some fruit). Use butter/oil on veggies, eat the fat on meat when you can find organic/grassfed/pasture-fed stuff.

This will keep you from being hungry. You shouldn't be starving on this plan.
Old 08-12-2009, 06:19 AM   #4
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

Mike: I plan to stick to this 100% and serve as inspiration to other folks like you, thanks for the encouragement, I'll show you how it's done and hopefully you'll stick to your own plan after you see my before/after pics or something, heh.

Lawrence, thank you, I am not afraid of fat and eat a ton of it!

August 11th:

3 eggs, bacon, and lots of celery.

Lean pork loin cooked with coconut oil, maybe 6oz. Broccoli, lots of it, sauteed with organic ghee, some onion and garlic. I had some more of the onion and garlic so mixed with some little lettuce and cabbage that had just been chopped. Also a small carrot, raw. Green tea.

Organic pumpkin seeds, almost half a cup I think, with less than 1 tsp honey. A few almonds too, to ensure I wouldn't get hungry quickly.

Little bit of black coffee.

Papaya.. it wasn't diced, but I guess it'd be over a cup if it were, or about that.

Bok choy and zucchini sauteed in ghee. The pan was greasy so no more fat added to cook two smoked pork chops, delicious stuff. Also ate about 7 olives with a little bit of raw ham. Little cup of white wine.

NOTE 1: In the main 3 meals, I am taking 2 cod liver oil caps, and a big teaspoon of fish oil. So daily I take 6 CLO caps and about 4.5 grams of omega 3's.

NOTE 2: The organic ghee is the closest thing to organic butter I can get. It specifically says it's made from PASTURED cows. I haven't been able to find organic butter, but this seems to be almost the same. It's either this or a regular supermarket-bought butter, from cows than probably eat crap.
Old 08-13-2009, 12:05 PM   #5
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

August 12th:

3oz or so of lean pork loin, cooked in coconut oil the day before. Bacon, a bit more than usual this time, maybe 2oz? Lots of celery.

Broccoli, lots, with organic ghee. Canned pink salmon, no idea how much, maybe 6 or 7 oz? Some onion there too, some anchovies in olive oil as well. Green tea.

2.5oz of walnuts. I know it was this amount because the little pack said so.

Pineapple, didn't weigh to see how much.

Cream, from milk. About 6-7 oz of it. About 5 strawberries, a cup of diced papaya, and 4 black grapes.

A whole can of "fresh spinach", raw, with a can of sardines in olive oil, some anchovies in olive oil, and almost a tablespoon of dijon mustard. Tiny little bit of white wine.

NOTES: I wont say I "fell off the wagon", but I did screw up. I bought that cream just because I had not bought it in many, many years. I wanted my 2 year old son to try it, and while I made him a bit with some fruit, I made the mistake of trying it! Oh my... I ended up finishing the little jar. Each serving said 2 gram carbs, 1 gram protein and 22 grams of fat. I ate what I calculated to be about 3.5 servings!! Wow, tons of fat, heh. I ate it along with all that fruit I mentioned... so maybe the insuline response was all right? ... I ate the sardines late at night, with the spinach, just because I feared I had not taken enough protein on this day, but I was not hungry to be honest. I know many people here do paleo with diary, I honestly don't, but I would if I could find raw milk. This cream was made from pasteurized milk, sadly. So it's a mistake, but it's not like I ate grains or sugar or anything, so I'm gonna keep thinking I'm still on track.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

August 13th:

3 eggs, bacon, lots of celery. Used too little bacon, or it had too little fat as the eggs got stuck to the pan, which never happens. Should've added some coconut oil or ghee, will do next time.

Some black coffee, maybe 1/3 cup or 1/2 at most.

Beef cooked in coconut oil, pretty lean. Mybe 6-7 oz? A ton of bok choy and red cabbage, with half an onion and a garlic clove, sauteed in ghee and a bit of coconut oil also. Some avocado thrown in there.

Organic sunflower seeds, raw, with some salted pistachios.

2 kiwis and a cucumber thrown in the blender.

Spinach (from frozen, boiled for a few minutes until not stuck together) and quite a bit of raw lettuce, half an onion (sauteed 2 mins.), garlic clove, 0.5 tbsp of sesame oil, 2.5 tbsp olive oil, a little bit of ACV and a little salt. Turned out to be a pretty good salad.
About 6 oz of lean beef again, leftover from lunch, heated with some coconut oil.

NOTE: In this day I decided to semi-punish myself for yesterday, so I tried to stay low-ish carbs... probably didn't do a good job at that, lol, but I rested from the broccoli, from carrots, ate just 2 kiwis as fruit, and had no wine at all.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:55 AM   #7
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

August 14th:

Friday. Always a challenge, fridays are always challenging as it's the night I go out with my wife, usually, to eat out and hang out with another couple or whatever. The day went like this:

3 eggs, bacon, celery.

Chicken thigs, about 4, small bastards. Broccoli, sauteed in ghee, garlic clove. A little bit of avocado. Green tea.

Pecans, maybe 2oz.

Half cucumber, half orange, 1/4 banana, and about 3 or 4 strawberries in the blender.

Pak Choi, tons of it, with olive oil, andhovies, a bit of balsamic vinegar.. this was about an hour before going out, so I wouldn't go on an empty stomach and starving.

We went out with another couple and went to two places.

1) In place one I ordered a "ceviche" as a starter, of a fish called "mero" in spanish. It's like a fish with lemon/vinegar, over a leaf of lettuce. Pretty good so far. My plate was a grilled salmon with grilled veggies (some pepper, eggplant and zucchini, but very little of it all). We gulped down a bottle of red wine between 3 of us, so lets say I had 1/3 bottle. However....

2) In place 2 some of us got hungry, I saw another cheap fish and ordered it. This one is called "chillo" and again it was grilled, this time with what seemed like steamed veggies, some broccoli, cauliflower and a bit of carrot, I ate everything. The bad thing is that we finished another bottle of wine. Lets say I had, again 1/3 of the bottle. My wife is pregnant so she's not drinking more than a zip.

It was a great night, we had a lot of laughs, etc. And I'm actually quite pleased. These friday nights are my biggest challenges and I kindof expected to go a bit too far with the alcohol, but was hoping that once the alcohol reached my head (heh) I wouldn't go crazy and start searching for sweet stuff. Eating all that fish with veggies was very fine. Heck, I even asked them not to use some dressing that came with the salmon from the first place, heh.

So in conclusion, if all my friday nights were like this, it's great. Usually I would have some beers, or other sweet drinks including khalua or something, which would then lead to me eating some sort of sugar-filled dessert or whatever, and I'd go on a binge so bad that after getting home I'd still be looking for cookies or whatever sweet stuff I could find. So it was a nice friday which means I'm still on track.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

August 15th:

Can of tuna in water. 1 tbsp dijon mustard, olive oil, olives and capers, a tiny bit of sesame oil, lots of celery, raw this time.

Red cabbage, a ton, two small carrots, olive oil, 1/3 of an avocado, a bit of balsamic vinegar, ACV. Two smoked pork chops cooked in coconut oil. Green tea.

Melon, maybe 9oz.

Lean beef, 8oz. A bit over half a pack of frozen spinach (whole pack is 1lb), after boiling until not frozen, tons of olive oil over it. I gotta admit it did not taste good. Two days ago was much better. I actually drank 1 tbsp of coconut oil to add more calories, even though I used tons of olive oil.

NOTE: No wine today, and surprisingly, no nuts and seeds. I admit I did try to reduce a bit of calories today after yesterday's ton of wine, hence no nuts/seeds and no bit of wine either. But I still ended up eating tons of fat in all 3 meals, except the melon snack. But all good. About the can of tuna: I am aware of the mercury issue, hence you'll rarely see it in this log. I think once in a while wont do much harm.
Old 08-17-2009, 12:08 PM   #9
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

August 16th:

3 eggs, bacon, celery.

Some carrot, olive oil, about 5-6 olives, some onion, a bit of chopped tomato. One pork chop, grilled over wood so no fat added in cooking. Some beef too but I tried not to overeat. A little white wine. Green tea.

Pumpking seeds, organic raw. I was out of honey, tasted kinda bad all alone. Some ginger tea I think, two cups at least.

1 Orange, 1 Kiwi.

Broccoli, a TON, sauteed with butter and garlic. Some beef, was enough I bet, but my desire for tasty food made me eat a chicken drumstick, also grilled over wood earlier this day, no fat added, I ate the skin, it was DELICIOUS. A little white wine.

As if I had not eaten enough on this day... I was very hungry before bed, and I found some salted cashewes and ate a TON. Argh. Kindof a "slip" but at least it's Paleo. But I shouldn't have eaten them, not one.. but I was hungry and thinking "I should eat", and when you have a whole jar, it's hard to control your portion.

NOTE: Although I ate Paleo, days like these are probably not gonna lead to a lean physique. But who knows!

Sundays are the second hardest day of the week for me, as we usually spend it at my parent's house with some more family, and TONS of meat is cooked over wood, and everyone eats sweet stuff in the afternoon... hard to control oneself 100%, but I think I was doing a darn fine job until the bunch of cashewes before bed.
Old 08-18-2009, 06:27 AM   #10
Arturo Garcia

Profile:

August 17th:

3 eggs, bacon, celery, ginger tea.

Red cabbage and romain lettuce, TONS of it. Olive oil, ACV, balsamic vinegar. Ate like two full plates of this salad. Beef... not sure how much, but more than necessary for sure. It was so good. Lets say 12oz, who knows. Just half a cup of green tea.

Soursop - half of one. Tasty fruit, very common around here. Lots of sugar though, I ate it post workout and not so much carbs on this day anyways.

Organic roasted almonds, about 1.5oz or ~45 pieces, no idea.

Beef, maybe 8-10 oz. So good. The beef from today is leftover from yesterday on the grill, over wood, so no fat added in cooking, but some fat on the cut, not much though, just a bit. About 60% of a 1lb frozen spinach pack, sauteed with ghee and some onion. About a cup of soup that was just made from pumpkin/carrot/water.

NOTES: No wine today. The following bit might be disgusting for some, but I gotta note it: I had some stinky farts today. I blame it on the huge amount of salted cashewes before going to bed on the previous night. What else could it be?