CrossFit Discussion Board  

Go Back   CrossFit Discussion Board > CrossFit Forum > Fitness
CrossFit Home Forum Site Rules CrossFit FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Fitness Theory and Practice. CrossFit's rationale & foundations. Who is fit? What is fitness?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:43 AM   #1
David A. Rowe

Profile:
Our unit is starting its own physical training program to try and prepare our Marines for special operations in various theaters. After researching different training methods and fitness programs, we have decided to use CrossFit because it meets our training needs for functional physical strength and endurance.

In order to build a PT program around this, I'm trying to track down as much information as possible about the physical effects of CrossFitting, training procedures, needed materials, substitutions based on a lack of equipment, and, as our unit grows, how best to modify the workouts for our increasing numbers without taking anything away from the training. Getting results will justify the program and thus open funds for purchase of equipment and expansion of the program. In a nutshell, this has got to be a one-shot-one-kill deal, so any guidance concerning avenues of approach, other workout regimen resources besides the WotD, and any points of contact would be a huge help in getting this thing put together expediently and correctly. Any and all help is appreciated.
Old 02-07-2007, 07:37 AM   #2
Sarena Kopciel

Profile:
I leave the how to's to others who know more. Just wanted to add my two cents though: Thanks for making our country what it is! Best of luck with putting the CF program together.
Old 02-07-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
Jason McCain

Profile:
David,

A great place to get a lot of information would be the CrossFit Journals. They have information in there about most if not all the things your asking about. Here is the index to help you choose which journals might cover what you want.

http://www.crossfit.com/cf-info/faq.html#General6

I would buy the CF Journal Back Issue sets. I know that costs money and if you don't have any to spend it doesn't help much. They contain a wealth of information and you could spend the next year reading them and not get everything. If I can help more specifically let me know.
Old 02-07-2007, 10:57 AM   #4
David A. Rowe

Profile:
The CrossFit Journals do seem to provide a lot of information (I read the free article concerning CrossFit induced rhabdo), but as it stands right now, there's got to be some results before the money starts flowing in. I will keep that in mind for future use, though. Thank you for the information.

Sarena, I'll pass on to my Marines your thanks. I know I speak on their behalf when I say it's our pleasure.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:51 AM   #5
David Ristau

Profile:
Do a search, and others may remember where to look, but one of the schools at Canadian Forces Base Gagetown did a study of that measured the differences between the 'standard' PT using one group and Crossfit PT using another group. Also the last few Crossfit Journals have included group PT sessions using materials readily available to you with little or no financial output.

You should be able to use these two ideas to create your own 'proof of concept' and move forward.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:43 PM   #6
David A. Rowe

Profile:
Thank you David, and upon review it, I noticed that some personnel at the Marine Corps Combat Developement Command, Quantico have already started looking into this. This information is outstanding, but by all means... if anyone else has two cents to add, feel free. The more knowledge I have the better.
Old 02-07-2007, 02:48 PM   #7
Mary Wilcox

Profile:
Check out the austere program (for free) under the CrossFit journals tab.
Old 02-07-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
Lynne Pitts

Profile:
The study with the Canadian forces is also on the CrossFit Journal main page.

Moving to Fitness.
Old 02-09-2007, 08:56 AM   #9
Josh E Lundgaard

Profile:
David,
Look me up on the Global Address List and shoot me an e-mail. We have recently re-written the PT program for recruit training here at PI based on CrossFit ideals, and I have several Training Battalion staff members doinf full-on CrossFit with great results, so I may have experience with some of the problems you might run up against. I also have several resources, including those listed above, that have been read, re-read, discussed, and otherwise digested. I'll be happy to share anything I have.

Josh E. Lundgaard MS,ATC,CSCS,PES
Athletic Trainer
Old 02-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #10
Scott Schactler

Profile:
i wish SD had a crossfit based pt program when i went. pt was alright but i would have had more motivation if it was similar to crossfit. quantico however...